LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5576 July 17 2018

xazbrat

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

semaan wrote:

hi,
i have sodetel open speed, i reach 5mbps,snr between 10 and 8, but when the elevator turn on, the snr will be 0.2  -0.8 and the internet will disconnect till the elevator turn off
i change the cable from the phone box to my home, it about only 7 meter, and the cable is alone in the tube without any electric cable, the problem was resolve for 2 month, and now the same problem
someone suggest to buy a "battery backup" dc ups for the modem,
anyone know if this is a great idea ?????

Same issues here and same things happening.  This may help---I found out that if I connect on G.DMT my SNR stays stable between 22 and 25 and attainable speed between 5 and 6 mbps.  However, when I connect on ADSL or ADSL2+, my snr rates drops between 9 and 11 and will now go down below 3 when the elevator runs although my maximum attainable speed approaches 7 (before falling when the elevator runs).  I basically unchecked all the other connection on my modem and forced it to sync on g.dmt.

If you can't connect on G.dmt, see if you can call Sodetel and have them do it from their end.

#5577 July 17 2018

semaan

xazbrat wrote:
semaan wrote:

hi,
i have sodetel open speed, i reach 5mbps,snr between 10 and 8, but when the elevator turn on, the snr will be 0.2  -0.8 and the internet will disconnect till the elevator turn off
i change the cable from the phone box to my home, it about only 7 meter, and the cable is alone in the tube without any electric cable, the problem was resolve for 2 month, and now the same problem

Same issues here and same things happening.  This may help---I found out that if I connect on G.DMT my SNR stays stable between 22 and 25 and attainable speed between 5 and 6 mbps.  However, when I connect on ADSL or ADSL2+, my snr rates drops between 9 and 11 and will now go down below 3 when the elevator runs although my maximum attainable speed approaches 7 (before falling when the elevator runs).  I basically unchecked all the other connection on my modem and forced it to sync on g.dmt.

If you can't connect on G.dmt, see if you can call Sodetel and have them do it from their end.

Okay, thank you
i will try it

#5578 July 17 2018

semaan

xazbrat wrote:
semaan wrote:

hi,

i try it, the snr will be 17, max speed 4 mbps
But also when the elevator turn on the snr will be 1, 0.2 then disconnected

#5579 July 17 2018

xazbrat

semaan wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
semaan wrote:

hi,

A question:  when you changed the phone line, did you use regular phone line or something else?  I changed the line from the electric room with UTP Cat6 and that made a huge difference since it is better shielded than normal phone lines.  Also, I was forced to put the line externally since the cabling was a mess and I wasn't able to connect a line through the proper means which may have helped me, but I still hate it.

#5580 July 18 2018

semaan

xazbrat wrote:
semaan wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

A question:  when you changed the phone line, did you use regular phone line or something else?  I changed the line from the electric room with UTP Cat6 and that made a huge difference since it is better shielded than normal phone lines.  Also, I was forced to put the line externally since the cabling was a mess and I wasn't able to connect a line through the proper means which may have helped me, but I still hate it.

yes i change the line to FTP Cable Shielded and i see a difference, but 2 months and the problem return

#5581 July 18 2018

dio

xazbrat wrote:
semaan wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

I did that, and it's still happening. Seems as the (at least for me) when the DSL modulation type is ADSL2+, the problem seems to be happening externally from the building, not internally. I know that it doesn't happen on Sundays, for some strange reason. Something must not be running on that day to interfere with the phone line running to my building.

#5582 July 19 2018

DG

Anyone randomly losing authentication with the ISP's network lately ? When this happens the last modem led (Internet led) goes off for less than 1 minute.

#5583 July 19 2018

dio

DG wrote:

Anyone randomly losing authentication with the ISP's network lately ? When this happens the last modem led (Internet led) goes off for less than 1 minute.

Yup.

#5584 July 19 2018

nosense

DG wrote:

yes

#5585 July 19 2018

DG

Are you guys Ogero subscribers ? If yes, what plan are you subscribed to ?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Ogero inaugurated IPv6 2 weeks ago thus meaning someone working on the IP allocation/ DHCP, authentication, etc... really messed up or even if the problem is related to this article (as my problems started right at the end of June)

Three Arrests Made in Largest Hack in Lebanon's History

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s … s-history/

It was later revealed in subsequent media coverage that the large ISP was state-controlled Ogero Telecom, where the hackers gained full control of the company's email system and would have been able to send messages posing as the company.
The hack was discovered by Ogero at the end of June, and the ISP notified Lebanese authorities about the intrusion into its system, which later led to the three arrests last week.

I have contacted Ogero several times on Twitter for the past 3 weeks and every time I get the same basic/lazy reply: "Sir, we've monitored your line and your stats are excellent, change you modem".

I reply saying that I know this already. I get the same problem with a different modem and it's not the DSL led on the modem (the one related to SNR, attenuation, etc....) that is going off. It's the Internet led that goes off and the modem logs show thisDh_Hk9br_Ws_AEPp_Eg.jpg

According to common sense and this website (scroll down to bottom of page): Technicolor Router Support
The problem described above only means ONE thing "PPP Link Down = The router has lost authentication with the ISP’s network".

So either they already know they have this problem and they are playing dumb to buy themselves time or they have no clue what's going on. Either way, I don't see this issue being resolved any time soon.

#5586 July 19 2018

dio

I've had the issue with PPP link down for the past 4, months. I doubt it has anything to do with the activation of IPv6.

Last edited by dio (July 19 2018)

#5587 July 19 2018

semaan

Hi

https://www.mediafire.com/view/brc6gzow … 0.jpg/file

Fi 7ada yse3edneh bi hal michikleh, kill ma ydour l elevator bitrou7 l internet
Bel soura fi kif cable ogero w cable l elevator mer2in, iza zi7na cable ogero chi noss meter 3an cable l elevator, byimche l 7al??

<admin edit: please read the rules. No Arabic in Latin characters. Use Arabic script>

#5588 July 20 2018

chosen2k

Yo semaan, edit your post to english. The guys in here are trying as much as possible to help you. IMO it is best if you move it as far as possible. Additionally you got nothing to lose if you do it since you will definitely reduce the interference.

#5589 July 20 2018

elserge82

semaan wrote:

Hi

https://www.mediafire.com/view/brc6gzow … 0.jpg/file

Fi 7ada yse3edneh bi hal michikleh, kill ma ydour l elevator bitrou7 l internet
Bel soura fi kif cable ogero w cable l elevator mer2in, iza zi7na cable ogero chi noss meter 3an cable l elevator, byimche l 7al??

30 cm will do the job. As much as you can separate it as mush as you will be on the safe side. and If you have to go near electrical power lines, cross them in perpendicular instead.

#5590 August 10 2018

kfc

#5591 August 13 2018

dio

Nice. Let's hope this is legit. Been waiting almost a year since filling out the form

#5592 January 13 2019

DG

Anyone here in Awkar/Aoukar ? If so, how's your DSL connection over there (speed, stability, etc....)

Also interested in Mazraat Yachouh, Antelias, Naccache and Rabweh (upper streets 9, 10 and 11).

Thanks.

Last edited by DG (January 13 2019)

#5593 January 13 2019

GeorgesHanna

Rabwe between street 9 and street 11,7mb to 12mb depending where and you home installation

#5594 January 14 2019

semaan

Mtayleb Street 41, 4mb from Maten Moyene CO, i think Mazraat Yachouh and Awkar also from Maten Moyene CO

#5595 January 17 2019

Xsever

DG wrote:

Anyone here in Awkar/Aoukar ? If so, how's your DSL connection over there (speed, stability, etc....)

Also interested in Mazraat Yachouh, Antelias, Naccache and Rabweh (upper streets 9, 10 and 11).

Thanks.

Mazraat Yachouh. Have the open speed and the max download speed I get is 1,700 MB/s. The average is usually 1,400 MB/s. In terms of stability, I only had one problem in 3 years and they fixed it in 3 days from the day I reported the problem.

#5596 January 18 2019

FadZ

Hey guys, a few years ago, Sodetel made an offer for free installation + modem + first month's subscription. Do you know any DSL company currently offering something like this?

Last edited by FadZ (January 18 2019)

#5597 January 18 2019

Aly

FadZ wrote:

Hey guys, a few years ago, Sodetel made an offer for free installation + modem + first month's subscription. Do you know any DSL company currently offering something like this?

You better not fall for these marketing gimmicks, you will suffer from bad internet on the long term, subsribe to a good reputable ISP like Ogero or any other private ISP that has a good presence in your central office.

#5598 January 30 2019

bobo619

5 days i was visited by an ogero employee claiming that they are doing studies for fiber in Antelias. Now i am having constant disconnections ever since. My line was very stable is anyone experiencing similar problems in my area?

#5599 February 4 2019

DG

I recently sold my house and, according to the contract, I have till the end of March 2019 to move out. So I have been looking for a new place to buy /rent. There is a sad reality in Lebanon. All new apartments ( 6 - 7 years or less) do NOT have a phone box and/or landlines.
So either I have to get a new apartment without DSL (which is very hard for me to imagine being without as I play WoW and other online games) or I have to accept an old / used apartment (which I don't really like) in order to probably find a landline.
On top of that, finding an old apartment with a phone box in the building doesn't mean DSL will be good there. It depends on the distance from the CO, etc...
As a conclusion, had I known it was going to be such a nightmare, I would have never sold my apartment.

#5600 February 4 2019

xterm

DG wrote:

As a conclusion, had I known it was going to be such a nightmare, I would have never sold my apartment.

Terranet is advertising for a microwave connection with unlimited 2Mbps 50$ => 12 Mbps180$ plans.

Worth checking it out.

Good luck!

Board footer