LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 23 2011

samer
Admin

Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Questions about Internet in Lebanon will be gathered here. Other topics have grown so much that they have become unmaintainable. Please limit yourself to posting questions or answers to questions posted here.

Articles about Internet in Lebanon are to be posted in another topic.

#2 August 23 2011

blabsters

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

How will we get the new internet speeds? Do we need to go and re-apply for dsl ? Or just tell the ISP what speed we want and they will update the modem? and would this be a good time to change isps ?

EDIT: I'm thinking of switching over to VISP now!  haha but what are the prices going to be ?!

EDIT #2: Looks like nuclearcat & VISP's fame just went up 1000x haha

Last edited by blabsters (August 23 2011)

#3 August 23 2011

KarimCfc

I was wondering when will private ISP's like IDM will release their new price list ?

#4 August 23 2011

samer
Admin

Mhmd wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

VISP
I try to increase all existing services speed x4. Let's see how network will handle.

More information please. You opened a 4x connections to your customers now ?

From Samer Karam reporting what Nuclearcat (Denys) announced:

Denys Fedoryshchenko of VISP has just confirmed that VISP is the first ISP in Lebanon to pass down the Internet Decree passed today to the consumer (that's you!).

If you are a VISP customer, your Internet connection may just have jumped up to 4 Mbps! a 4x increase from your old speed, check it and let us know.

All users who can login over https://customer.visp.net.lb/ got increase. Note: that not all resellers link can handle that, we will have to work on this, if it is in our hands.

#5 August 23 2011

RyanM

Did their Quotas increase along with their speed?

#6 August 23 2011

Siji

i got an increase from 256k to 1mbps for about 30 minutes and was very unstable then back to normal after 1:00am

Last edited by Siji (August 23 2011)

#7 August 23 2011

kdawg4.956

Did they also fix the prices along with the increase?

#8 August 24 2011

vengeance666

Yes 1447794247.png , this is what i got this morning , but still latency is a issue they are working on ... and for same price 33$ , my reseller announced it earlier yesterday , and of course no quota , good FUP i must admit..

and a question here : what the hell electricity issues have to do with new internet packages ??

#9 August 24 2011

imadthemad

1) Is 4$ per extra gb going to be a fixed cost across isps? Do you think unlimited night traffic will no longer apply?
2) Will isps have the same packages as ogero or are they allowed to create their own? Can they make their own packages with different speeds and caps? If their prices are different, do you estimate they will be more or less than ogero's prices?
3) I know pings most likely won't be affected until fiber optics is installed. when will this happen? and when fiber optics gets installed, will there be packages faster than 8mbps?
4) Is it september 24 or september 29? Is this date going to be when we experience change across all isps or only ogero? if not, will it take longer or less time for other isps to experience change?

#10 August 24 2011

xterm

imadthemad wrote:

1) Is 4$ per extra gb going to be a fixed cost across isps? Do you think unlimited night traffic will no longer apply?

4$ yes, unlimited depends on ISP

2) Will isps have the same packages as ogero or are they allowed to create their own? Can they make their own packages with different speeds and caps? If their prices are different, do you estimate they will be more or less than ogero's prices?

They can adjust the pricing a bit and the cap, but not the speeds.

3) I know pings most likely won't be affected until fiber optics is installed. when will this happen? and when fiber optics gets installed, will there be packages faster than 8mbps?

Probably 2013 and yes you'll definitly see better packages.

4) Is it september 24 or september 29? Is this date going to be when we experience change across all isps or only ogero? if not, will it take longer or less time for other isps to experience change?

All ISPs have 1 month to comply.

#11 August 24 2011

Nemesis-301

I'm wondering, if I get a 2 mb connection, can I watch youtube videos on 1080p without loading...

#12 August 24 2011

xterm

Nemesis-301 wrote:

I'm wondering, if I get a 2 mb connection, can I watch youtube videos on 1080p without loading...

No

#13 August 24 2011

ILIA_93

you need around 20Mbps for 1080p video to watch directly.

#14 August 24 2011

Nemesis-301

why not? you can watch 240p videos on a 512 connection, so:
512 * 4= 2mb
240p * 4 =  960p

#15 August 24 2011

xterm

1080p

Blu-ray Discs are able to hold 1080p HD content, and most movies released on Blu-ray Disc produce a full 1080p HD picture when the player is connected to a 1080p HDTV via an HDMI cable. The Blu-ray Disc video specification allows encoding of 1080p24, 1080i50 and 1080i60. Generally this type of video runs at up to 40 megabits per second, compared to the 3.5 megabits per second for conventional standard definition TV's[12]

#16 August 24 2011

jsaade

Additionally you will burn your Quota in few hours.
I am not sure why people are enthusiastic about gaming, it is about ping not speed, if you have 100mbps but you are located in Lebanon, and your ping time is > 300ms the gaming experience will suck.

#17 August 24 2011

MegaCool

@xterm

You definitely got this wrong man - don't mix YouTube's compressed 1080p with Blu-Ray's native 1080p. Obviously most 1080p videos on YouTube have a variable bit rate of 3Mbps and 7Mbps (max). So no - it's not even close to Blu-Ray's "up to 40Mbps" videos.

As for Nemeses' question, I can assure you that 720p YouTube videos can be easily viewed at 2Mbps speeds, as for 1080p, you'll need at least 5Mbps to be on the safe side and avoid lagging.

#18 August 24 2011

Raficoo

ILIA_93 wrote:

you need around 20Mbps for 1080p video to watch directly.

not really, When I was in Europe for a month, I had almost 8mbit/s connection and I could stream 1080p on YouTube without any buffering.

#19 August 24 2011

kareem_nasser

xterm wrote:

1080p

Blu-ray Discs are able to hold 1080p HD content, and most movies released on Blu-ray Disc produce a full 1080p HD picture when the player is connected to a 1080p HDTV via an HDMI cable. The Blu-ray Disc video specification allows encoding of 1080p24, 1080i50 and 1080i60. Generally this type of video runs at up to 40 megabits per second, compared to the 3.5 megabits per second for conventional standard definition TV's[12]

Thanks MegaCool for clearing this up but i will try to be more specific.

@xterm i think you own a PS3 that has a built-in BD player at 2x read speed. Technically translates to 72 Megabits/sec or 9 Megabytes/sec (so forget about the up to 40 megabits/sec), this is more than enough for Full HD 1080p24/60 quality movies.
I watch my BD movies on a 46 inch screen and i can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. YouTube's compression is bad compared to BD but efficient.

What i want to say is if you(anyone) cant tell the difference between 1080p and 720p videos(not games) and dont own an HDTV that is larger than 40". Then dont bother watching a video or movie at 1080p resolution. I know a lot of people who want to watch 1080p videos so that they can show-off about it.
Perform a blind test on a 32" HDTV and use the same video but at different resolution (1080p and 720p), i advice you to download it from the PlayStation Store because it usually offers the 2 resolutions .

#20 August 24 2011

Flakk

Im just hoping we will get improved latency. Below 150ms to European servers.
Does anyone know what will happen to Pescotel, Mobi and similar services ? Will they get an increase ?

#21 August 24 2011

xazbrat

Flakk wrote:

Im just hoping we will get improved latency. Below 150ms to European servers.
Does anyone know what will happen to Pescotel, Mobi and similar services ? Will they get an increase ?

From what I have read, some of the hardware used has a limit of 1 mbps and they are trying to resolve it now.  Even if the speed isn't increased that much, my guess is that quotas will go up and even prices may come down.

#22 August 24 2011

yasamoka

Nemesis-301 wrote:

why not? you can watch 240p videos on a 512 connection, so:
512 * 4= 2mb
240p * 4 =  960p

320 x 240 becomes 1280 x 960 so it's x16...and it doesnt work that way either due to compression. Check what Megacool said.

#23 August 24 2011

Sami27

1-  Is it true that pricing for ISPs other than Ogero, such as IDM in my case are to be substantially lower than Ogero's? For example, Ogero 2Mbit 20GB is 75,000LL while IDM 2Mbit 20GB is 55,000LL

2-  Will ISPs such as Cyberia and IDM keep offering double speed from 8PM to 8AM and unlimited nights from 11PM to 7AM?

Appreciate any input.

#24 August 24 2011

hussam

you have to call and ask Cyberia or IDM sami27. the only ISP representative we have here in forums is Nuclearcat from VISP.

#25 August 25 2011

jsaade

From what I understand the 6-8mbps is capped at 30GB down and 30GB up.
What about upload speeds?

Board footer