LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 May 6 2010

Georges

Re: Getting an office for the next few months, who wants to join me?

AymanFarhat wrote:

Btw Jad don't forget the hummus and Falafel, my favorite 

Seriously speaking, nothing feels like home. Despite all the problems we have here still it is the best place ever, the environment, some good people and freinds s, family, food, etc...

IMO, there is no an ideal or perfect place to live in, every spot or country in this world has it's own set of problems, we have our problems and they have their problems which IMO weigh the same if you think about it deeply and thoroughly. We as humans are not perfect and will never be perfect so I our societies, cities and states will never be perfected. ...  Even on the level of social relations, people never care about each other, if someone falls on the street no one will care to pick him up or help him, most of the people there are just working machines running for their work.

Exactly ayman.

#27 May 6 2010

darko

@rahmu, yorgi, care to swap places guys

honestly now, if u had the chance to move ur families out, would u still wanna come back!!! have u been hearing the news, have u seen the ketrmaya massacre, and u still wanna live among these people!!!! lebanon is nice to visit evey couple decades but thats it, once i have my way and go out, im not guna look back

#28 May 6 2010

Georges

@ Darko : Are you sure you don't wanna come back ? :O
Tell me that after being here in the US for the next semester.

#29 May 6 2010

darko

@Yorgi, no you tell me after the next 4 years, or when u start looking for a job, or when you want to raise children, the only way im coming back is because i'll be forced to(IF...) but once that bigger oportunity comes along i wont hesitate for a second, this country has not offered me anything to be thankfull for, here's a quick round up of shit happening during my life time excluding the civil war since i was born at the end of it:

+5 wars
+20 assassinations
+2 massacres of civilians
+5 random bombing campaigns
+3 rigged elections
plus the internet speed sucks, so yeah once im out "for good", never ever coming back

#30 May 6 2010

Ayman

this country has not offered me anything to be thankfull for

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

I would like to wish you the best of luck on my behalf on anything you chose, but I am sure one day you will know how much your country is worth despite all the problems, again, wherever you go there is always problems following you, better to face these problems somewhere were you know the people, culture, and have friends and family to stand by your side in case something happens. As simple as that.

#31 May 6 2010

darko

well i dont ask for much from my country, all i ask for is not to be killed and at the rate being are being killed at random in this country, i rather take my chances elsewhere

#32 May 7 2010

samer
Admin

Did you know? although this is often attributed to JFK, it's actually Gebran Khalil Gebran that wrote it in "The New Frontier" 36 years before JFK said it in his inaugural speech.

#33 May 7 2010

Georges

samer wrote:

Did you know? although this is often attributed to JFK, it's actually Gebran Khalil Gebran that wrote it in "The New Frontier" 36 years before JFK said it in his inaugural speech.

Amazing. JFK speaking Gebran's Words...

#34 May 7 2010

Kassem

C'mon guys, do you really believe in all this "utopia none-sense"? Lebanon sucks and nothing is gonna change that. The majority of Lebanese people are too blinded by religious differences. Lebanon is not the right place for being productive, unfortunately. If you just want to enjoy the night life, social life and your time with your family then yeah, Lebanon is right place for you. But if you want to be hard working and productive, then Somalia would be a better place for you than Lebanon.

#35 May 7 2010

Ayman

C'mon guys, do you really believe in all this "utopia none-sense"? Lebanon sucks and nothing is gonna change that. The majority of Lebanese people are too blinded by religious differences. Lebanon is not the right place for being productive, unfortunately. If you just want to enjoy the night life, social life and your time with your family then yeah, Lebanon is right place for you. But if you want to be hard working and productive, then Somalia would be a better place for you than Lebanon.

I agree with you but this is the situation RIGHT NOW, I am sure one day will come where all of this will change. I always have high hopes in this country don't ask me why, but I do. I see in this place a fresh ground for a tech and business revolution once we have a decent internet, electricity, water, and less sheep and dogs (you know what I mean). For some reason I am finding that it would be an advantage for you and any educated and passionate person to stay here, tolerate the situation, resist and try to make it a better place.

Other places will surely give you an advantage for work and make you do better hits if you work hard. But it is  not about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward, here is were you strength appears. So don't just leave, your country needs people like you, I know that there are many uneducated or greedy pigs and sheep in this country who have been and still orienting(since the french mandate)  it to become more and more primitive, there is a global plan to keep us the people and society the way it is and the way it is evolving to. It is our duty as educated people to defend our country and try to make it better and more and more competitive, even if the government itself does not support us we will have to do it on our own, who said that only defense and change come through force and killing... this is our war and we have to face it not flee as many do.

At the end of the day, all what you will look at is what you have achieved today in spite all of the hardships you faced. The more the problems, the more there is opportunity for you to see how well you can do and the more you will be proud of yourself being successful despite all of the hardships.

Last edited by Ayman (May 7 2010)

#36 May 7 2010

crazy

Do you realize that you're wayyy out of topic? Even you samer! haha :)
Just pointing that, coz it's becoming a habit to start with something and end up in another world on the forum. Not that its not interesting what you're saying, but you can open a discussion about it on another thread.

@pikatore: if I'm not mistaken there is the rootspace activists/people that work in this kind of office you're proposing and I guess they encourage people to come and work freely in an open space. I don't have a lot of details, maybe someone else here knows more, or you can check their website http://www.therootspace.org/site (the join us section more precisely).
Again, I'm not really sure that it fits what you have in mind, but just trying to route the discussion back into the topic :-)

crazy

#37 May 7 2010

kareem_nasser

I deleted the Religion part in Wikipedia: It is pure comparison rather than stating concrete data, between religions and sects.

#38 May 7 2010

Georges

crazy wrote:

Do you realize that you're wayyy out of topic? Even you samer! haha :)
Just pointing that, coz it's becoming a habit to start with something and end up in another world on the forum. Not that its not interesting what you're saying, but you can open a discussion about it on another thread.

So, who's joining Pikatore in his office ? Wikipedia ? JFK ? Gebran Khalil Gebran ? Or Probably the list of food mentioned above (hummus, falafel, tabboule, arak, etc....)

Board footer