LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 1 2021

samer
Admin

Emigrating out of Lebanon - General Questions

A topic dedicated to emigrating out of Lebanon.
Note: Canada has a separate topic

EDIT: I messed up the migration and accidentally deleted a good number of posts. I am sorry about that… would be very nice if you could post again your tips about Australia, Germany and other countries here.

#2 March 1 2021

samer
Admin

Re: Emigrating out of Lebanon - General Questions

I'll try to recreate one of the lost posts from memory:

Germany: look into the EU Blue Card. Quickest path to permanent residency (1 year and 9 months with a B1 German certificate). More info: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/aamt … ard/606754

#3 March 1 2021

Guitaret

History:

tricky wrote:

When i was doing some research recently Germany seem to be software/IT friendly. So might be worth looking there as well and try your luck there.

Guitaret wrote:

Do you know if German companies are friendly in assisting in getting a work Visa for foreigners?
I mean I do have American & Canadian friends getting a job there, but as you know, it is easy for them to get there.

tricky wrote:

@Guitaret

I personally dont have any experience with Germany companies.  I just googled again to refresh my memory and it looks like you would need basic german and it doesnt look as good as my memory suggested, maybe my memory was for  self-employment/freelancing (remote work) from germany.

https://www.germany-visa.org/freelance-visa/

Hybrid wrote:

I think if you're an IT, and you find a job with a specific amount (60K euros/year i think), you're eligible for a visa

#4 March 1 2021

Guitaret

Redirecting my vision towards Australia:
-Got a much better score on their PR points calculator.
-Less racist towards my age than Canada in their PR points calculator.
-No French exam
-It is possible to make it without having to go through the ugly process of state/territory nomination.
-Much better weather.

Is anyone here able to share his immigration experience to Australia?

@Hybrid...

#5 March 1 2021

RandomMemory

First off, thanks for creating this topic Samer.
For IT jobs, I have been working for a US company for more than 2 and half years fully remote right now, but out of 80+ applications to EU jobs I only got 3 interviews. Before COVID I used to get contacted all the time by recruiters but now they prefer to hire someone from inside the EU and if I'm not wrong there is a travel ban that is making the whole hiring from abroad process extremely difficult and no one wants to go through the trouble. I really would like to move and go work in Sweden but unfortunately there is a travel ban as well from what I've read and all visas are being rejected, does anyone have any info on moving to Sweden or where I should start. And thanks everyone for your contributions towards this topic.

#6 March 1 2021

tricky

@RandomMemory i know a guy who was living in Sweden (not sure if tourism or student or something) but he was there as non-permanent but then there was bombing and stuff in Lebanon, and he told them that his life is in danger if he returns or something and i think they gave him a PR or something...  At least thats what he told me and that story is like 10 years old.

Last edited by tricky (March 1 2021)

#7 March 1 2021

Adnan

Checkout Honeypot.io for job offers in Germany and the Netherlands. It works by you making a profile and then you get a batch of companies applying to you every week.

#8 March 2 2021

Johnaudi

For Germany, you can easily get an EU Blue Card visa if your salary is above 40-50k euros and work in IT, Medicine or Engineering with the approval of the Federal Agency for Work (Bundesagentur für Arbeit). (they have a shortage of those skilled workers)

The Blue Card will give you a permanent residency in about 3 years upon obtaining it, or only a year and 9 months if you have a B1 level german. (which is moderately attainable within this timespan)

Last edited by Johnaudi (March 2 2021)

#9 March 2 2021

samer
Admin

For Germany, you can easily get an EU Blue Card visa if your salary is above 40-50k euros and work in IT,

The rules are the same, but the numbers are higher now:

The position in Germany must be remunerated with a gross annual income of at least EUR 56,800 (in 2021). A gross annual salary of at least EUR 44,304 (in 2021) is required for employees in the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences, engineering and human medicine. In such cases, the German Federal Employment Agency must approve your request for employment.

https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/v … -blue-card

The blue card also requires a college degree. Last I checked, most private Lebanese universities are recognized.

By the way, if your salary is not high enough, you can immigrate to Germany on a normal residence permit and convert it to a blue card later on once you meet the threshold.

#10 March 6 2021

RandomMemory

Adnan wrote:

Checkout Honeypot.io for job offers in Germany and the Netherlands. It works by you making a profile and then you get a batch of companies applying to you every week.

I was bored so I took the honeypot exam, 2 medium difficulty questions, passed both. Let's see what happens.

#11 March 7 2021

Guitaret

RandomMemory wrote:
Adnan wrote:

I was bored so I took the honeypot exam, 2 medium difficulty questions, passed both. Let's see what happens.

What exam? I was asked for a video call interview

#12 March 7 2021

RandomMemory

Guitaret wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:
Adnan wrote:

They sent me a hackerrank code exam. 2 questions. 1 hour 30 mins to solve.

#13 March 8 2021

Hybrid

Glad to see things are somewhat working out.

Good luck guys n gals

Last edited by Hybrid (March 8 2021)

#14 March 8 2021

RandomMemory

I've heard that if you present a bank statement with X amount of money while applying for emigration it boosts your chances of acceptance, is this accurate?

#15 March 8 2021

Adnan

Guitaret wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:
Adnan wrote:

Same here, didn't get any exams. My call was audio only BTW.

#16 March 8 2021

RandomMemory

unknown.png

#17 March 8 2021

Guitaret

Good for you @RandomMemory, but I didn't know Honeypot works that way, so hopefully that test qualifies you enough not to be asked for other ones by the companies that want to hire you.

Hybrid wrote:

Good luck guys n gals

Thanks, the situation here is getting worse soon enough we can no longer afford a ticket to Europe. But that is not to say that we should remain passive and only hope for the best, I always keep my back straight and ready to face the next challenge with a smile on my face.

Last edited by Guitaret (March 8 2021)

#18 March 8 2021

RandomMemory

Guitaret wrote:

Good for you @RandomMemory, but I didn't know Honeypot works that way, so hopefully that test qualifies you enough not to be asked for other ones by the companies that want to hire you.

Hybrid wrote:

Good luck guys n gals

Thanks, the situation here is getting worse soon enough we can no longer afford a ticket to Europe. But that is not to say that we should remain passive and only hope for the best, I always keep my back straight ready to face the next challenge with a smile on my face.

Good spirit, should be enough to get you somewhere better

#19 March 9 2021

hackable?

Has anyone heard of portugal's D7 visa ? 5 years till permanent residency and one additional year for citizenship. With the citizenship comes the EU passport which is the end goal. It seems promising if you have some savings. I am currently looking for a reputable immigration lawyer that might have some experience with this form of visa(preferably residing in lebanon) - any recommendations?

#20 March 10 2021

samer
Admin

I had not heard of the D7, it seems much more accessible than the Golden Visa, although it takes you much longer to reach permanent residency.

My recommendation is to do a lot of reading before going to an immigration lawyer or any of these online "consultancies" that either charge you a high fee for administrative procedures that you can probably easily do yourself or are outright scams.

#21 March 10 2021

tricky

hackable? wrote:

Has anyone heard of portugal's D7 visa ? 5 years till permanent residency and one additional year for citizenship. With the citizenship comes the EU passport which is the end goal. It seems promising if you have some savings. I am currently looking for a reputable immigration lawyer that might have some experience with this form of visa(preferably residing in lebanon) - any recommendations?

Thanks for sharing, i think Spain has something similar, but i think the minimum stay per year was more.

#22 March 27 2021

Techlover

Hi guys,

I am trying to find a way to immigrate outside Lebanon. I am a Computer and telecommunications(Masters of engineering) graduate with 2 years experience in the IT field ( IT Support).

I am trying to find a way to immigrate (since i can't find a fresh dollars job in the IT infrastructure field here, seems they are rare in Lebanon(contrarily to development jobs) .

What ways do you suggest to immigrate? I have uncles and aunts in the UK, Canada. But after my research i found they can't really help .

What alternative ways could work so i can move out with such a limited experience?

Thanks

#23 March 28 2021

nuclearcat

Sometimes mentioning "IT support" as previous experience is worse than mentioning nothing. People come out "burned out" from this job, I don't know how in Lebanon.
I may be unoriginal, but try to get some knowledge of the technologies in demand, take part in some public (possibly opensource) projects for a portfolio. And most importantly, in my opinion, the ability to code is a must. Now it is very difficult even to find a job for "anykey" without such knowledge.
Remember, you must have the knowledge, reason for an employer to want to hire you instead of someone in the local market. Because the second reason after knowledge - is to hire you because you are a unprotected cheap labor force, and this is not good option.

#24 March 30 2021

user

Techlover wrote:

Hi guys,

I am trying to find a way to immigrate outside Lebanon. I am a Computer and telecommunications(Masters of engineering) graduate with 2 years experience in the IT field ( IT Support).

I am trying to find a way to immigrate (since i can't find a fresh dollars job in the IT infrastructure field here, seems they are rare in Lebanon(contrarily to development jobs) .

What ways do you suggest to immigrate? I have uncles and aunts in the UK, Canada. But after my research i found they can't really help .

What alternative ways could work so i can move out with such a limited experience?

Thanks

I think if you get it up to 3 years you might be able to apply to Canada and have a good chance of being accepted. The immigration process does not give a shit about how in demand your job is, they only care that work experience matches the degree, and that your masters is from a university they recognize, and that you are under 30, and that you have a good english score.
I am also told that Canada still accepts proof of funds from Lebanese banks, even though the banks are holding the money hostage, they also still recognize 1500 lira as one dollar, so show them proof of 15 million liras and you are set to go.

If you do make it to here, it doesn't matter if you work your first year as a cashier at walmart, you'll still be paid more than in Lebanon, and you can climb the ladder of jobs with time.

If you are nearing 30, you should shift focus towards Australia, you have to hit 33 years old before you start being at a disadvantage. But 2 years of work experience and approaching 30 would be a very bad combination

Last edited by user (March 30 2021)

#25 March 30 2021

Hybrid

I got my Canadian Permanent residence when I was 33 years old, I was already losing points, but still managed to get 469 points

Last edited by Hybrid (March 30 2021)

Board footer