LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 February 18 2021

nuclearcat

Re: Feedback for TH Global Vision (THGV)

Also hint, at THGV fup applied dynamically and fairly, if bandwidth are "full", unlike other ISPs where they have everything static, even they have lot of capacity free.
At lockdown, unfortunately, it plays a bit negative role as FUP is calculated from early morning, but still better than others, as its not 24h. It releases after school for a while and at night, on lower load.

#27 February 18 2021

ZER0

nuclearcat wrote:

Also hint, at THGV fup applied dynamically and fairly, if bandwidth are "full", unlike other ISPs where they have everything static, even they have lot of capacity free.
At lockdown, unfortunately, it plays a bit negative role as FUP is calculated from early morning, but still better than others, as its not 24h. It releases after school for a while and at night, on lower load.

What about the limited plans? Ever tried them and are they any good? I know I keep saying this but it's too good to be true. I'm currently subscribed to sodetel with 150 gbs open speed and unlimited night traffic for 67 000. How is THGV selling a plan 300 gbs unlimited night traffic for 60 000? It sounds absurd! Why would we ever ever subscribe to other isps if they are this cheap? Hope it doesn't have a catch to it because I want to change isps and this deal is just perfect

Last edited by ZER0 (February 18 2021)

#28 February 18 2021

tmash2

ZER0 wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

What about the limited plans? Ever tried them and are they any good? I know I keep saying this but it's too good to be true. I'm currently subscribed to sodetel with 150 gbs open speed and unlimited night traffic for 67 000. How is THGV selling a plan 300 gbs unlimited night traffic for 60 000? It sounds absurd! Why would we ever ever subscribe to other isps if they are this cheap? Hope it doesn't have a catch to it because I want to change isps and this deal is just perfect

Please note that nuclearcat works/worked for THGV AFAIK unless I'm mistaken, no offense, it's good to know how FUP works, thanks.

Last edited by tmash2 (February 18 2021)

#29 February 19 2021

nuclearcat

ZER0 wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

I have no idea. Yes, I do some of the tasks in THGV (as well as in some other operators), as freelancer, but i don't even have a clue about the final picture of settings or plans available, and i don't know exactly the current policies on restrictions, traffic, etc.
My guess is early sale discounts, owner want to have more DSL users.
And i didn’t mind, because people are funny, they think with clichés "ogero is better, because they are at source of internet in Lebanon", so i dont expect them will come en masse.
But THGV has enough some resources that it will give away for free or at a discount, such as many local offloading CDN servers, while others (including Ogero) will charge you money for each byte.

#30 February 19 2021

tmash2

nuclearcat wrote:
ZER0 wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

I have no idea. Yes, I do some of the tasks in THGV (as well as in some other operators), as freelancer, but i don't even have a clue about the final picture of settings or plans available, and i don't know exactly the current policies on restrictions, traffic, etc.
My guess is early sale discounts, owner want to have more DSL users.
And i didn’t mind, because people are funny, they think with clichés "ogero is better, because they are at source of internet in Lebanon", so i dont expect them will come en masse.
But THGV has enough some resources that it will give away for free or at a discount, such as many local offloading CDN servers, while others (including Ogero) will charge you money for each byte.

Lower latency, real unlimited (over 1TB at 4Mbit unlm. plan) are not cliché. These are commonly shared findings from people and on this forum, not ISPs defamation attempts... 1mbit is not a real internet speed these days after exceeding 8GB per day from your dear company... YouTube and Netflix weren't offloaded either, only certain titles from Steam and few non encrypted sources (HTTP/FTP), not really a CDN, more like caching.
The unlimited plan seems to be useful for kids or when you can't control the traffic and the budget is very low, while still having a somewhat usable accessible internet.
Wish I didn't read this before I applied: https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18817

Last edited by tmash2 (February 19 2021)

#31 February 19 2021

nuclearcat

tmash2 wrote:

Lower latency, real unlimited (over 1TB at 4Mbit unlm. plan) are not cliché. These are commonly shared findings from people and on this forum, not ISPs defamation attempts... 1mbit is not a real internet speed these days after exceeding 8GB per day from your dear company... YouTube and Netflix weren't offloaded either, only certain titles from Steam and few non encrypted sources (HTTP/FTP), not really a CDN, more like caching.
The unlimited plan seems to be useful for kids or when you can't control the traffic and the budget is very low, while still having a somewhat usable accessible internet.
Wish I didn't read this before I applied: https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18817

Latency might be lower, 5-15ms, this is factually correct, but for whom does it matter, besides nerds who spend half their lives playing dota and other shooters?

P.S. with Ogero you rely on the choice of their administrators, and if you are not satisfied with the latency/loss of specific backbone serving your NAT pool, you have not much choice. And sometimes it is downright crap, for example when they had problems with opentransit. YMMV.
THGV has gaming pool option, or tunneled traffic option, for more optimal routing and we provide customers with the opportunity to enable these tariff options. But i admit, on average Ogero latency is less, as i said in few ms, and less hassle to get this lower latency.
-----
4Mbit real unlimited. It's cool. But with a bunch of BUT.
1) Your upload is asymmetrical. Hello video conferencing, unless you do it alone.
2)1 Terabyte? Haha. With one caveat, while you are downloading this terabyte - you are suffering from a crappy Internet, since you have your funny 4Mbit congested. Ogero has no QoS, just a fifo on the DSLAM.
In addition, THGV has users who download hundreds of terabytes. Of course, they will not be able to download them at peak hours, since the cost of traffic for private operators is much higher, but we provide this opportunity at night (unlimited).

-----
Highlighted in bold is factually incorrect or blunt lie.
I am aware specifically about offloading on THGV, and I can say that THGV has one of the largest number(in Lebanon) of CDN nodes installed.
In order to talk about traffic offloaded or not, you need to have necessary experience on topic, otherwise you dishonor yourself with illiterate statements.
I am ready to provide evidence in a private chat, with an independent arbiter who understands this specific field after signing the NDA, but on the word that after providing conclusive evidence - you admit in forum publicly, that you draw conclusions without the necessary qualification to do so.
-----
Unlimited plan for kids?
Oh well. Tell that to all non-tech-savvy people(majority of users) and especially large families with a dozen devices, that on top of all the problems in Lebanon, they need to watch and count the traffic on every device and every family member, to not have crazy bills at next month or internet cut off early.
I remember a conference on investment in Lebanon several years ago, when an investor from England spoke and said - what the hell is the internet in Lebanon, in which you need to throw coins like an ancient telephone booth for the amount of Internet so that it continues to work. Service plans with traffic counting are an atavism. It might do in some cases with mobile internet, but its dead wrong for fixed plans.

#32 February 20 2021

tmash2

My own experience
Caution, take with a grain of salt.

I wasn't able to exceed 200GB per month incl. night downloads and that was usual Netflix and Youtube combo by 2 members in the house, throttled like shit every day, like you said never really reached 1TB on Ogero that was a hint what unlimited truly means, while I average 400-600GB now on Ogero 4MBit w/o slowdowns. (peaked 800GB)
Also, last time I had a problem with the line (due to rain) they directed me to Ogero anyways, Ogero's phone support is at least responsive from my experience, although useless but not neglectful, and not having to call all day is a plus. Another incident was due to an Ogero network issue when I called THGV support, they replied: "problem is with Ogero not us, wait 2 hours".

And no, there is a huge bufferbloat on downloads if that is what you mean by QoS? 2 thread download halted the internet as well not just latency. And yeah the additional latency is around 15ms, way more (25-40ish) during peak hours no-load, unlike Ogero which never changes in comparison (Ogero has bufferbloat issue too), although the packet loss is good on THGV compared to my old Terranet. "Nerds spend half their lives on shooters"? What? It affects many things, including VoIP and video chats, especially if it varies, plus I was answering ZER0 regarding gaming, this also affects casual games, even browser games! I play RL around 2 hours a week and that was unplayable due to variation and spikes.

"THGV has users who download hundreds of terabytes" ooookay, I wouldn't be able to do that on 300M Fiber back in UAE. You mean yearly? But you were talking monthly (Ogero) in a relative context. Or you phrased that wrong, sum of all users? Ogero is leaps ahead for sure as you mentioned in another post.

"1) Your upload is asymmetrical. Hello video conferencing, unless you do it alone." How's that related? How's THGV better in this regard? I got the same 1MBit upload, we're talking ADSL here. Plus your page says that 50/10mbit VDSL service is that symmetrical? Do you mean ADSL Annex M? I wasn't offered that either, but that's still (barely) asymmetric for 4mbit download 2-3 up no?
This was just my personal experience (and) as reported by multiple users on this forum, no offense intended, maybe it's just bad luck?

The last two paragraphs are pretty shocking and unexpected to be honest... I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. I just didn't see any speed increase as you mentioned in the THGV feedback post, you mean deduct from plan usage? Either way I was on an unlimited 4MBit plan and that was just my experience and I didn't get any of that CDN boost as an end-user, not the only one to report that either though take it with a grain of salt. The boost acted like any local wireless ISP in the past, only unencrypted connections. THGV never mentioned CDN as a feature anywhere unless I'm mistaken.

Edit:"YouTube and Netflix weren't offloaded either, only certain titles from Steam and few non-encrypted sources (HTTP/FTP), not really a CDN, more like caching." My feedback as a user, I could be wrong about CDNs, but I'm not speaking on behalf of the company or saying "THGV does not use CDNs" Your feedback post explained what a CDN service offers with THGV and my conclusion came from not meeting the criteria you noted, and didn't get any of it's benefits, so I didn't get "CDN" as a feature, I got simple caching. Please enlighten us. YouTube or Netflix as well as other not very popular sites weren't offloaded speed-wise, and you mentioned that Content Delivery Networks offloads these...

"factually correct" based on what? I didn't mention any facts, and this is up to the end-user to report their experiences, they aren't facts either, they're feedback, usually, you analyze reports like any other user when applying for a service, especially in this country, I actually subscribed to the service due to your positive and well-versed input on the feedback page and thought I'd give it a try... Didn't work for me maybe it works for others! I'm not dishonoring myself by providing my feedback, never went against facts...

Mods should sticky that THGV Feedback post or move these, I hate to derail and clutter more.

Good talk!

Last edited by tmash2 (February 21 2021)

#33 February 20 2021

nuclearcat

#34 February 20 2021

nuclearcat

tmash2 wrote:

My own experience
I wasn't able to exceed 200GB per month incl. night downloads and that was usual Netflix and Youtube combo by 2 members in the house, throttled like shit every day, like you said never really reached 1TB on Ogero that was a hint what unlimited truly means, while I average 400-600GB now on Ogero 4MBit w/o slowdowns. (peaked 800GB)

Most likely you tried to download at evening hours, then yes, no miracle can happen. At lockdown situation worse and sometimes FUP is enabled from morning, because of load from e-schooling.
If person is not capable  to reschedule downloads at night by various reasons, then no doubt Ogero end-user service better in this matters.

tmash2 wrote:

Also, last time I had a problem with the line (due to rain) they directed me to Ogero anyways, Ogero's phone support is at least responsive from my experience, although useless but not neglectful, and not having to call all day is a plus. Another incident was due to an Ogero network issue when I called THGV support, they replied: "problem is with Ogero not us, wait 2 hours".

It depends where is bottleneck.
If you are congested by your own DSL line (bottleneck on DSLAM port), then yes. If you have decent DSL connection and your bottleneck is shaper from THGV side - then you can have QoS with fair queuing.
If your DSL line bad, i doubt you can have luck with any ISP over it. And as you had problems in rain, it seems wiring to your location is in very bad shape.

tmash2 wrote:

And no, there is a huge bufferbloat on downloads if that is what you mean by QoS? 2 thread download halted the internet as well not just latency. And yeah the additional latency is around 15ms, way more (25-40ish) during peak hours no-load, unlike Ogero which never changes in comparison (Ogero has bufferbloat issue too), although the packet loss is good on THGV compared to my old Terranet.

Bufferbloat cause in your case is very likely from DSL equipment. As Ogero is monopoly in this matters - its not fixable.

tmash2 wrote:

"Nerds spend half their lives on shooters"? What? It affects many things, including VoIP and video chats, especially if it varies, plus I was answering ZER0 regarding gaming, this also affects casual games, even browser games! I play RL around 2 hours a week and that was unplayable due to variation and spikes.

VoIP and conferencing works just fine up to (approx) 200ms latency.

tmash2 wrote:

"THGV has users who download hundreds of terabytes" ooookay, I wouldn't be able to do that on 300M Fiber back in UAE. You mean yearly? But you were talking monthly (Ogero) in a relative context. Or you phrased that wrong, sum of all users? Ogero is leaps ahead for sure as you mentioned in another post.

I'll tell you the alarming news - if you could not download hundreds of terabytes to UAE on 300Mbps, then the reason is not in the Internet connection / provider.

This is just random snip from 3 BRAS top user sessions, as i dont want to query billing data.
And yes, unfortunately lockdown numbers are way worse than i usually see. Even top users are in 5-10TB range, it was way more before lockdown.
Username, current session data, uptime

mahdiXXXX             | 49.2 GiB   | 11:38:05   | active
skynetXXXX            | 47.8 GiB   | 21:36:37   | active
nassXXXXX             | 44.9 GiB   | 16:37:45   | active
medlijXXX             | 151.8 GiB  | 1.14:12:25 
thXXX                 | 2268.8 GiB | 24.01:15:38
mmXX                  | 96.0 GiB   | 17:52:52   
MAHX                  | 156.7 GiB  | 2.15:31:52 
netXXX                | 155.8 GiB  | 15:57:10

User reached 100TB was very unusual and it was while ago, he was clever dude with exceptionally good setup and didn't ever disconnected for whole month, and he found what content are cached locally and used night bypass 100Mbps every night (approx 8 hours of such bypass), doing about 300-330Gb every night, and tens of GB per day.
So on 300Mbit in UAE - 100TB+ should be piece of cake.

tmash2 wrote:

"1) Your upload is asymmetrical. Hello video conferencing, unless you do it alone." How's that related? How's THGV better in this regard? I got the same 1MBit upload, we're talking ADSL here. Plus your page says that 50/10mbit VDSL service is that symmetrical? Do you mean ADSL Annex M? I wasn't offered that either, but that's still (barely) asymmetric for 4mbit download 2-3 up no?
This was just my personal experience (and) as reported by multiple users on this forum, no offense intended, maybe it's just bad luck?

People disconnect from DSL and go to cable (THGV too), because they have 2+ children at home doing eschooling.
They dont need to worry also about draining their quota, because FUP still better than quota, especially in current economical situation.
As i recall THGV can offer VDSL and Fiber services too, where Ogero have them, at least i see such users online.

tmash2 wrote:

The last two paragraphs are pretty shocking and unexpected to be honest... I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. I just didn't see any speed increase as you mentioned in the THGV feedback post, you mean deduct from plan usage? Either way I was on an unlimited 4MBit plan and that was just my experience and I didn't get any of that CDN boost as an end-user, not the only one to report that either though take it with a grain of salt. The boost acted like any local wireless ISP in the past, only unencrypted connections. THGV never mentioned CDN as a feature anywhere unless I'm mistaken.

I did personally system that bypass IPTV and Netflix(locally cached) traffic from quota (it wont count in unlimited FUP too). There is some other classes added, that i cannot disclose, mostly to protect economically disadvantaged groups of people using this type of content for non-entertainment purposes, so they wont be hurt by FUP or quota.
THGV have several racks of CDN servers from various providers, all of them is encrypted and it is not typical proxy caching, they are also offered on higher speed than usual, international traffic. Unfortunately if your DSL speed is very low, most likely you wont notice that, because your bottleneck is Ogero DSL link.
Unencrypted proxy present too, but traffic through them is negligible, comparing with CDN.

tmash2 wrote:

Edit:"YouTube and Netflix weren't offloaded either, only certain titles from Steam and few non-encrypted sources (HTTP/FTP), not really a CDN, more like caching." My feedback as a user, I could be wrong about CDNs, but I'm not speaking on behalf of the company or saying "THGV does not use CDNs" Your feedback post explained what a CDN service offers with THGV and my conclusion came from not meeting the criteria you noted, and didn't get any of it's benefits, so I didn't get "CDN" as a feature, I got simple caching. Please enlighten us. YouTube or Netflix as well as other not very popular sites weren't offloaded speed-wise, and you mentioned that Content Delivery Networks offloads these...

Google content, Facebook, Netflix, several CDN providers, mostly used for heavy content (for example Steam, Sony playstation use them) - are locally hosted in Lebanon. THGV is not exclusive in that, Ogero, IDM, Terranet have some of them too, but most of ISP deliver within your account speed and wont make any discount. On THGV i have for example at this moment set bypass Netflix 50Mbps+ for titles that are cached locally in Lebanon, on local node. And as i said before Netflix is not counted in quota, but it is not announced officially, because it is hard to predict what is cached and what is not.

tmash2 wrote:

"factually correct" based on what? I didn't mention any facts, and this is up to the end-user to report their experiences, they aren't facts either, they're feedback, usually, you analyze reports like any other user when applying for a service, especially in this country, I actually subscribed to the service due to your positive and well-versed input on the feedback page and thought I'd give it a try... Didn't work for me maybe it works for others! I'm not dishonoring myself by providing my feedback, never went against facts...

When you say that this is just "caching unencrypted traffic", you are putting your geek reputation on the line.
What your claims you based on? Tactile sensations, or did you do some more or less technical research on traffic sources and speeds?
Moreover, judging by the above, your problem with speed is mainly not in the provider, but in the speed of the DSL line, making such research just impossible.

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 20 2021)

#35 February 20 2021

tmash2

1-This was during pre-COVID and post-COVID till 2 months ago. 8GB/day all the time. Casual browsing and YouTube.

2-My ADSL line synced at 20Mbit and the rain issue was due to an open cover, I'm close to central, all CAT6 shielded never had issues. It was pretty clear that I was replying to your support comment.

3-You said THGV doesn't have bufferbloat and there is QoS, now you're saying the opposite? and it's Ogero's fault? Again this was an ADSL topic.

4-I didn't say high latency affects VoIP and conferencing, it was the variation (jumpy in less than a second 60-100-60-100) never had this problem with Ogero or Terranet. Once the variation stopped, freezing frames in video calls stopped.

5-It takes at least 3 months to download 100TB with 100MBps, this all sounds fishy to me, and pretty sure others on this forum. And you're showing a table that seems unrelated.

6-That is offtopic, ZER0 was applying for ADSL and we were talking about ADSL. You said that Ogero DSL is asymmetrical, but THGV is not, and now you're talking about cable?

7-For the last 2 paragraphs check number 2. I didn't claim anything, as said 3 times in the previous posts these are my experience and results, I could be very wrong, but the results did not deliver any. I mentioned "more like" which = speculation; goes without saying. As said in the previous post, never mentioned that "THGV doesn't use CDN" <-- that is a claim.
Care to mention what the CDN covers in this case? Since this is contradicting your old posts.

Downloading from HTTP sites such as Ubuntu was close to line speed ~19mbit, HTTPS did not, neither Youtube or others like I mentioned, I just looked up Steam and it also uses HTTP. I was talking about speed boosts like in the past 2 posts not how CDNs work. "Unencrypted proxy present too, but traffic through them is negligible" this confirms my experience.

This last paragraph doesn't make any sense. "this is just "caching unencrypted traffic"" I never said that, original quote:
"I didn't get any of that CDN boost as an end-user, not the only one to report that either though take it with a grain of salt. The boost acted like any local wireless ISP in the past, only unencrypted connections."

Last edited by tmash2 (February 20 2021)

#36 February 20 2021

nuclearcat

tmash2 wrote:

1-This was during pre-COVID and post-COVID till 2 months ago.
2-My ADSL line synced at 20Mbit and the rain issue was due to an open cover, I'm close to central, all CAT6 shielded never had issues.
3-You said THGV doesn't have bufferbloat and there is QoS, now you're saying the opposite? and it's Ogero's fault? Again this was an ADSL topic.
4-I didn't say high latency affects VoIP and conferencing, it was the variation (jumpy in less than a second 60-100-60-100) never had this problem with Ogero or Terranet. Once the variation stopped, freezing frames in video calls stopped.
5-It takes at least 3 months to download 100TB with 100MBps, this all sounds fishy to me, and pretty sure others on this forum. And you're showing a table that seems unrelated.
6-That is offtopic, ZER0 was applying for ADSL and we were talking about ADSL.
7-For the last 2 paragraphs check number 2. I didn't claim anything, as said 3 times in the previous posts these are my experience and results, I mentioned "more like" which = speculation; goes without saying.

3 - THGV at it's side dont have, but if you are hitting DSLAM port limit - it is not related to THGV.
4 - Jitter might cause issues indeed, there was moments when eschooling started and when Ogero has issues on backbone, at that time THGV suffered for several days. Eschooling caused jitter issues from 9am to approx 2pm until i rebalanced the load.
Before there was rare events of DDoS attacks or Ogero backbone issues, but usually they dont last longer than few hours.

5 - I am showing table of daily users traffic.
Actually i start to wonder if i had some bug in math, or there was some overflow in billing, because you are right, its impossible to do such amount of traffic on 8hours/100Mbit. I did typed Gbit instead of Mbit several times, or billing miscounted him.
And even i found moments in git when i set 100Gbps in shaper instead of 100mbit, physical media to all known users is max 1Gbit/s and for GPON users it is 10Gbit ports.
While user said he does crazy amounts of downloads, it should not be such number. Unfortunately i cannot review detailed stats, as it was several month ago.
6 - it is not offtopic, it is to have understanding about situation in general

Real monthly numbers, today, of top users is like this:
photo-2021-02-20-13-08-00.jpg
This is without IPTV/Netflix bypass and without "night unlimited".

#37 February 20 2021

tmash2

I am completely lost at this point, good luck buddy!
Moving to Ogero fixed all my issues for me, had been suffering for years. Yet we reached the same conclusion to your false argument regarding "Ogero is better" being a cliche.
E: Not talking about the 100TB thing of course, it's way more ;)

Last edited by tmash2 (February 20 2021)

#38 February 20 2021

nuclearcat

Ok, to be more simple, user with 100TB+ traffic unlikely true. More likely it was a bug in billing which I did not notice.
And i had to notice, as i remember 24h download on 1Mbit is 316GB/month.
Sorry for confusion on this point.

#39 February 21 2021

tmash2

I'm pretty sure that anyone reading your responses would be flabbergasted by the contradiction. I am also sure now that rules are not applied to everyone here, especially rule #3. You twisted many words as well.
---

but for whom does it matter, besides nerds who spend half their lives playing dota and other shooters?

since you have your funny 4Mbit congested

otherwise you dishonor yourself with illiterate statements.

When you say that this is just "caching unencrypted traffic", you are putting your geek reputation on the line.
What your claims you based on? Tactile sensations, or did you do some more or less technical research on traffic sources and speeds?

I'll tell you the alarming news - if you could not download hundreds of terabytes to UAE on 300Mbps, then the reason is not in the Internet connection / provider.

Enough said and sarcasm. I would delete these if I had a bit of respect for myself. I responded lately to these to let people see how dishonest your company is and not fall in the same trap. You also changed one of my quotes regarding the CDN! Are you going after every customer criticizing your company and calling them liars and demanding qualifications before posting a feedback? AFAIK this forum is for consumers not corporates and company representatives. Reminds me of NBR forum which is famous for this issue (for ODMs).

#40 February 21 2021

nuclearcat

tmash2 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that anyone reading your responses would be flabbergasted. I am also sure now that rules are not applied to everyone here, especially rule #3. You twisted many words as well.
---

but for whom does it matter, besides nerds who spend half their lives playing dota and other shooters?

Enough said. I would delete these if I had a bit of respect for myself. I responded lately to these to let people see how dishonest your company is and not fall in the same trap. You also changed one of my quotes regarding the CDN! Are you going after every customer slightly criticizing your company and calling them liars and demanding qualifications before posting a feedback?

QoS rules applies to all users.
Anybody at TH with decent physical connection (VDSL or GPON) can test by himself, put several downloads and watch title that is cached on local Netflix CDN node. You wont experience any buffering, because of QoS, this is one of easiest examples.

Where did i changed anything you said about CDN? This is your own words:

YouTube and Netflix weren't offloaded either, only certain titles from Steam and few non encrypted sources (HTTP/FTP), not really a CDN, more like caching.

And this is total bullshit and lie.
Because both are offloaded to local CDN nodes.
And i repeat, as i said before, you either deliberately lied or are not qualified to discuss on this topic (CDN and caching). I think it is second.
There is multiple methods to verify that, from checking traffic by sniffer while watching youtube/netflix, to checking hostnames owned by netflix/google resolving to THGV ips. These methods are known by anyone who has minimal knowledge of networking.

P.S. Yes i screwed up on hundreds of terabytes on 300Mbps and it shameful for me. You can get only theoretical maximum 94.8TB. Sucks that i skipped to do math before making statement.

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 21 2021)

#41 February 21 2021

tmash2

nuclearcat wrote:
tmash2 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that anyone reading your responses would be flabbergasted. I am also sure now that rules are not applied to everyone here, especially rule #3. You twisted many words as well.
---

Enough said. I would delete these if I had a bit of respect for myself. I responded lately to these to let people see how dishonest your company is and not fall in the same trap. You also changed one of my quotes regarding the CDN! Are you going after every customer slightly criticizing your company and calling them liars and demanding qualifications before posting a feedback?

QoS rules applies to all users.
Anybody at TH with decent physical connection (VDSL or GPON) can test by himself, put several downloads and watch title that is cached on local Netflix CDN node. You wont experience any buffering, because of QoS, this is one of easiest examples.

Where did i changed anything you said about CDN? This is your own words:

YouTube and Netflix weren't offloaded either, only certain titles from Steam and few non encrypted sources (HTTP/FTP), not really a CDN, more like caching.

And this is total bullshit and lie.
Because both are offloaded to local CDN nodes.
And i repeat, as i said before, you either deliberately lied or are not qualified to discuss on this topic (CDN and caching). I think it is second.
There is multiple methods to verify that, from checking traffic by sniffer while watching youtube/netflix, to checking hostnames owned by netflix/google resolving to THGV ips. These methods are known by anyone who has minimal knowledge of networking.

P.S. Yes i screwed up on hundreds of terabytes on 300Mbps and it shameful for me. You can get only theoretical maximum 94.8TB. Sucks that i skipped to do math before making statement.

See, you diverted the subject again although the original argument was over ADSL.
Read that quote again, never said there is no CDN, I only said they don't ->SEEM<- offloaded, not really like a CDN, immediatly called me a liar, then you said my line is crap, even though it did 19MBit on unencrypted sources, which at first you called me illiterate for mentioning this, later you said that you do offer unencrypted proxy! And for the million time I only reported my feedback, never accused, do you know what that means? This is what I and only I got from your service.

What's with the terabyte thing, the P.S, I was never going after this topic, and yes you have mistaken your calculations even though you mocked me with "alarming news" and me faking the numbers before you actually read your stats, not to mention it was theoretically impossible at ADSL (which you said everyone uses cable anyways which is flabbergasting) that's the only reason why I responded to that, I even respectfully speculated and replied that it may have been a typo or the summation! even then that is offtopic and one of the many, I don't understand why. Why do you think I'm shaming you for this? That's a toxic act.

Please read your tone from the beginning of your first reply, I know people are going through rough times with their businesses, but this is not a good way to maintain a good reputation, worse is that you mentioned that you're a freelancer for this company which is more confusing.

"And i repeat, as i said before, you either deliberately lied or are not qualified to discuss on this topic (CDN and caching). I think it is second." Why would I do that? What's with the hositility? Why would I lie? Actually you called me a liar on your first reply as well.  You said that on your very first reply as well. And how is this allowed on this forum? The topic wasn't even CDN or caching, all I said that your implication that the CDN gives you a speed boost didn't happen to me, and old reports (beginning of this thread) reported the same.  Again for million times never debated whether you do implement CDN, caching, or whatever. Worse is that later you said you don't know what the CDN really covers.

Tell me what a CDN is and what your ISP covers, this is a geek forum, and tell me why downloading a file from HTTP source the second time jumps from 4mbit to 19mbit, and why Netflix like you mentioned (you designed) is stuck at 4Mbit. And why did you even mention CDNs in the beginning of this thread and it's benefits in which we are not getting, and how is that a good thing. If it doesn't provide speed boost or cute quota, then why mention it? That's ISP level disucssion at the point, not end user, who cares, stop calling it a benefit. I don't care if Ogero delivers 4mbit Netflix to my house from whatever vs THGV deliveirng 4mbit Netflix from whatever CDN (if I could with FUP)...

I will not reply anymore, enough with the drama.

#42 February 21 2021

nuclearcat

tmash2 wrote:

See, you diverted the subject again although the original argument was over ADSL.
Read that quote again, never said there is no CDN, I only said they don't ->SEEM<- offloaded, not really like a CDN, immediatly called me a liar, then you said my line is crap, even though it did 19MBit on unencrypted sources, which at first you called me illiterate for mentioning this, later you said that you do offer unencrypted proxy! And for the million time I only reported my feedback, never accused, do you know what that means? This is what I and only I got from your service.

Try to find word "seem" in your original statement. You wont find it.
Without this or a similar word, it is a statement, not an assumption. This is a significant difference.
And I know that this is a lie, since this offloading cost me a very serious effort, and it makes me very angry, when someone make bold claim for what i said is not correct, and didnt even bothered to provide proof for such claim.
Not really interested to read rest of message, have other things to do.

#43 February 21 2021

tmash2

nuclearcat wrote:
tmash2 wrote:

Try to find word "seem" in your original statement. You wont find it.
Without this or a similar word, it is a statement, not an assumption. This is a significant difference.
And I know that this is a lie, since this offloading cost me a very serious effort, and it makes me very angry, when someone make bold claim for what i said is not correct, and didnt even bothered to provide proof for such claim.
Not really interested to read rest of message, have other things to do.

Since you keep taking things out of context. This was describing my experience. Quote the entire thing :-)
Never claimed anything, I'm not the only one you called a liar here, ironically on the same topic. I'm calling you out, not having fun.

Not really and more like = seem, as an end user, I don't work at THGV. It goes without saying, it is a speculation, what proof do I have? All I'm talking about is results in response to ZER0 of what I experienced.
HTTP Files were faster on the second run = caching.
Netflix and major providers stuck at 4mbit =/= "CDN boost" or "CDN benefit" as in your first post on this thread where you promised that there is speed increase, again not the only one to report.. CDN is important as you mentioned due to the very poor FUP.
You literally said QoS doesn't work if the port is limited, even though it goes as high as 19Mbit with your proxy. Yet I had bufferbloat like in the first post, which seems like a Deja Vu, on repeat.

Time was already wasted anyways, but not for the people, don't want them to fall in this same trap, hell it wasn't even a PSA, although it could have been just my bad luck or account issue/your servers etc, but you have been constantly attacking me which is why I bothered in the first place seeing that no action was taken.

#44 February 21 2021

samer
Admin

Admin note: please focus the conversation on technical content. No name-calling and ad-hominem attacks (see rule #3). Believe it or not, there's an actual human being sitting on the other side of the screen. Be nice to them.

I will temporarily lock this thread for a week to provide you both with an opportunity to cool off

#45 August 16 2021

GeorgeN

Hello guys just wanted to ask if anyone has been facing outages recently with THGV. Third light on the modem goes out and i keep getting PPPoE is down. Comes back after like 5 min.

Edit: I found out what the problem is apparently if you have two phones plugged in on the same splitter it kills the internet for some reason.

Last edited by GeorgeN (August 17 2021)

#46 August 22 2021

Space

Hello, hope everyone is having a nice day!

First of all, I subscribed to TH Global vision 4mbps-unlimited bundle, that's my first month with them. 2 days ago for some reason the speed isn't going above 0.2mbps for both download and upload according to testmy.net... speedtest, fast.com shows 12mbps (cache). If I'm using Facebook, Instagram, playstore (if there's an update. the home page doesn't load) the speed will be 4mbps stable. (I guess they use cache?)

Twitch, Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, NetFlix, doing a google search/accessing websites works at 0.2mbps (50kb/s maximum)

testmy.net results: it turns out I can't post links. but technically it's a pic of the test showing 0.2mbps
speedtest: 11mbps down, 0.7 up

All the landline cables connected to the house are disconnected because there's humidity which affected the phone... So we installed cables from Ogero's box directly to our house (2nd floor).

Contacted them on Whatsapp, they told me: "we've changed some stuff on our end, can you please restart the router" I did, nothing changed. Contacted them again after 2-3 hours, and they told me: "Everything on our end is working fine" then I followed with "I'll try again tomorrow in the morning" (I know for a fact that nothing is going to change tomorrow but idk had some hope...) overall I don't blame them, its probably an issue on my end.

I've been a cable user for the last 6 years, but I had to swap because he's facing a lot of outages due to no electricity to charge the batteries and he increased the prices... I still have 10 days with him (that's how I'm posting this btw). Yesterday I read some stuff about CRC, SNR, Attenuation, etc... my router shows the following results:

Adsl Line Status    SHOWTIME.L0
Adsl Mode    G992.5
Up Stream    1023 kbps
Down Stream    14534 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream    19
Attenuation Up Stream    14
SNR Margin Down Stream    10.1
SNR Margin Up Stream    12.4
Vendor ID    RETK
Firmware Version    4926d722
CRC Errors    18
Up Stream BER    0e-7
Down Stream BER    0e-7
Up Output Power    12
Down Output Power    16
Down Stream ES    13
Up Stream ES    0
Down Stream SES    0
Up Stream SES    0
Down Stream UAS    0
Up Stream UAS    0

CRC value keeps increasing from time to time.

<admin edit: content removed, please read rule #2>

thanks for reading it and helping me out!

#47 August 28 2021

GeorgeN

@Space, I have the same issue as you at the moment. I reset the router, speed goes to full for a few seconds then it just drops to an average of 350 kbit/s, I don't know what they are doing.

Btw i'm using the open speed bundle.

Edit: also the pings are a lot worse than they used to be. fluctuating constantly between 80ms and 120ms instead of the stable 67 - 69ms I used to always have.

Last edited by GeorgeN (August 28 2021)

#48 August 28 2021

Space

GeorgeN wrote:

@Space, I have the same issue as you at the moment. I reset the router, speed goes to full for a few seconds then it just drops to an average of 350 kbit/s, I don't know what they are doing.

Edit: also the pings are a lot worse than they used to be. fluctuating constantly between 80ms and 120ms instead of the stable 67 - 69ms I used to always have.

They fixed the issue, It turns out (somehow) my plan quota finished they fixed it and everything is working fine now.

When I had this issue the cache speed was 10mbps while the real speed never exceeds 50kb/s.

Have you tried a different socket in the house? Install speedtest app on your device and check the speeds for cache. (Don't do it from the website).

Do you get the same speed for upload? and at night when the electric is off (no generator, nothing) do you get the same speed?

Also, I forgot to mention use testmy.net to get the real speed.

Good luck!

Last edited by Space (August 28 2021)

#49 August 29 2021

GeorgeN

Space wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:

They fixed the issue, It turns out (somehow) my plan quota finished they fixed it and everything is working fine now.

When I had this issue the cache speed was 10mbps while the real speed never exceeds 50kb/s.

Have you tried a different socket in the house? Install speedtest app on your device and check the speeds for cache. (Don't do it from the website).

Do you get the same speed for upload? and at night when the electric is off (no generator, nothing) do you get the same speed?

Also, I forgot to mention use testmy.net to get the real speed.

Good luck!

My issue was a bit more weird. Whenever I plug in the modem to a wireless router, the speed starts messing up (without any of the devices downloading or anything). I had to do this because the default modem they give you doesn't allow you to do bandwidth control and limit bandwidth for certain IPs. So now I just stopped plugging in the wireless router and everything is working perfectly.

#50 September 27 2021

roy

Subbed to this for a month and had to cancel. It's stable during the day, but after 5pm the speed just drops to the point where google.com takes ages to load. And every time we reached out to see what the problem is, they'd be extremely annoyed we're talking to them "bhek awda3" lol.

Last edited by roy (September 27 2021)

Board footer