LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 February 15 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

Re: Unlimited is not unlimited after all!

^^^
nuclearcat, you didn't respond to my request of a Usage page for each user? is it possible?

#127 February 15 2007

nuclearcat

Dark_angel - i remove limitation for now, for more detailed review. For now number of users who abuse is not too high, i will review it manually. Seems customers, who just download too much will not be touched, till number of them is acceptable. And i will block accounts immediately for people who share end-users accounts for networks + abuse by traffic. Maybe it will be some Fair Use system if someone load his bandwidth too much at peak hours.

#128 February 15 2007

hj88

nuclearcat

i guess the fair use policy applied by tiscaly is good:

"During peak hours, customers affected by the fair usage policy will share bandwidth with each other and will be separated from other customers. The amount of bandwidth available for affected customers to share, will be at least as much as for those customers unaffected by the policy. The speed affected customers experience when downloading at peak hours will therefore depend on what these customers are doing. If they are all web-browsing and reading emails, they will experience normal broadband speed. If on the other hand they are using Peer to Peer or file sharing software they will experience slow broadband speed. Outside of peak hours, no restrictions will apply. "
taken from http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broad … ZZ-NL-11GK

#129 February 15 2007

nuclearcat

hj88, thanks, thats what i will implement.

#130 February 16 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

I have experienced some Gateway erros or timed out when trying to download a file using my download manager.

Was it because you were messing with the servers to implement such configurations ! :)

#131 February 19 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

nuclearcat, can you give us an update on how you will implement the fair use policy, what is the best time interval to download a large amount of files?

#132 February 19 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Dark_angel, this is not a VISP support forum.

And have you seen other ISP to do that??? Since you said "All ISP breath the same air", we will play on your words. Whatever they do - the same we do. Either do take your words back in public, or expect the same level of "customer --> provider" level of contact.

That is.

#133 February 19 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

nah VISP is different and I am sure that you guys will come up with a solution that suits everyone.

This thread main objective was to know how the fair use policy will work ( fixed limitation/dynamic limitation/etc...).

oh and did you ever hear about air filters?

Last edited by Dark_angel (February 19 2007)

#134 February 19 2007

teodorgeorgiev

yes, I have heard. Each (non-ancient) car has one :)

#135 February 24 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

so nuclearcat, is a Usage page for each user possible ?

#136 February 24 2007

nuclearcat

Dark_angel - i remove limit. I am just reviewing accounts, if it is shared or etc and abuse - i will stop it. If it is normal user, just heavy - i will let geek download how much he wants.
By the way, if possible try to download at night, there is plenty free bandwidth for that.

#137 February 24 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
ok man, I will try to run my downloads at night. I guess it is the best solution to avoid limitation.

what is the best time frame to make our downloads?

#138 February 24 2007

nuclearcat

put schedule from 2am till 7am, it is always free bandwidth. Possible when i will finish other things - i will make double speed for some customers at night.

#139 February 24 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

That's great to hear!

VISP for life :)

#140 February 25 2007

mir

hehehe.. lool nuc
read the first post in this topic
read the last post in this topic

maybe it took around 140 post in this topic  ..
good work nuc ..

#141 February 26 2007

nuclearcat

mir - i am trying different tactics. All super-heavy users i throw them our from ISP, or they had to upgrade. 90% of them buy high speed home accounts and tried to sell for a network 20-30 PC's. So i concentrate now on this specific case.

#142 February 26 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

Yeah, the problem resides there. Many have been sharing their connection to more than like 5 PCs. I hope you can manage to minimize this type of malicious usage.

#143 February 26 2007

Mitzidupree

Heh, you reminded me of MOBI, when i was about to buy their services, of course, the unlimited account. But prior to that, i was reading the Terms And Conditions, i got stuck to the following sentence:" As part of the “Fair Usage Policy”, unlimited subscribers may be limited to speeds of 16/8 Kbps after 3 GB for the 256Kbps, 4GB for the 512 Kbps plans and after 5 GB for the 1 Mbps plan."

Funny eh?

#144 February 27 2007

nuclearcat

Right to call such tariffs - "Flat rate".

Board footer