LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 February 4 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Re: ADSL in 2006

Looks like "the others" are afraid of the unknown (the DSL technology). Let them wait for VISP to build the DSL network, then Ogero, IDM and Cyberia will see that it is not that hard, will get some experience and will copy the VISP structure. It is not easy to be the "pioneer". Running a 10,000-links DSL network is not like to make a mesh of UTP cables, interconnected by CNet, Repotec and similar 8-port switches. Or a set of el-cheapo SMC/Zicomax/Linksys wireless APs :)     
  Let the small guys learn from the big guys how is the right way to do the things.

#127 February 5 2006

KingRhye

You make it sound like visp is lebanon's savior.. yet you don't understand the political aspects that influence these companies you mentioned above in a big project such as DSL technology implementation, so maybe you don't know for real what you're talking about here. But please, again, don't undermine us "small guys and retards".

#128 February 9 2006

antokh

[flaming, stop it - please.]

-------
guys i'm so pissed off to see all this hassle that DSL is making you go through... but also glad i don't have to worry about all those numbers and figures that you're trying to analyse. just one tip:
if the service sucks, then boycott it!!

#129 February 10 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Hi KingRhye!

Yes, I completely admit that the mentioned ISP companies are very strong in politically (unlike VISP). Their political "back-end" support seems to compensate their lack of technical knowledge.

About VISP, I will tell you something. Check on Google (or any search engine) for details about IDM / Cyberia tech employees and VISP employees. IDM and Cyberia techs spend time on the forums and mailing-list by asking help and assistance. VISP employees stay on these forums giving help and answering questions. Lets kick out the "empty words", all we are technical people, not lawyers. Lets check the RAW FACTS.

Anyway, lets really stop the blame. Time will show who is right and who is wrong. So far VISP has some good number of ADSL ports installed. IDM so far has empty words on their website. Words, words, words, promises, promises, promises... All of us are sick of listening to them.

#130 February 10 2006

Vector

I think that DSL in Lebanon is way overdue. But the problem behind it is that there is just no return on the investment.  We are still living in the dark ages of internet implementation. I mean Lebanon has a population of 3 million.  At least half of these should have internet access and computers.  The bulk of internet users meanwhile is in Beirut, and the most internet users are from within the university campuses.

DSL will cost twice as much as it costs anywhere else in the world.  This is a rip off.

Vector

#131 February 10 2006

nuclearcat

Lebanon issue - it is too far from major backbones, one of the reasons is Syria. Even on Cyprus you cannot get cheap ADSL in villiage.

Board footer