LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 27 2005

naregkar

ADSL in 2006

The long awaited ADSL service in Lebanon is to be launched in 2006. The Arab Advisors Group expects an immediate healthy uptake of the ADSL service, which will contribute towards enhancing the position of the regulated legal ISPs.

Full story can be found here.

#2 August 27 2005

mahdoum

Re: ADSL in 2006

I wonder what prices will be like...

#3 August 27 2005

rolf

Yeah hopefully these bunch of #### and ###### realize that lower prices is very important for long-term attraction of foreign companies to the country.
BTW, ADSL does not mean that we will have lower prices.

#4 August 27 2005

naregkar

I wonder why this delay. Is Politics the only reason behind not having such services in Lebanon where in other countries it is a normal thing?

When Ogero started the ISDN service, they could have easily started DSL.

#5 August 27 2005

rolf

i wonder too, since they were supposed to have installed the necessary infrastructure when they upgraded the phone network in the late nineties.

#6 August 29 2005

darkstar

hopefully prices will be abit fair... we just have to wait and see

#7 September 8 2005

jalal

i hope adsl is about 1 MB not 128k (iza 128 ma3melna shi) w nshalla ma yeser2o bil se3er

#8 September 8 2005

naregkar

Don't worry, if everything is installed properly (by the state), downstream rate would be between 256 kbps to 8 Mbps and upstream rate would be between 64kbps to 256 kbps.

ADSL, Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line, is the best solution for residents because residents relatively want higher download speeds  unlike corporations who need faster upload bandwidth because they have servers.

#9 September 10 2005

abougrej

i wonder too, since they were supposed to have installed the necessary infrastructure when they upgraded the phone network in the late nineties.

I've heard something like that, are you talking about Fiber Optics specially in downtown  :?

Anyway speaking about Prices...A week ago i got a free upgrade from 128 to 256 downstream from IDM saying that the internet cost in lebanon has decreased so you'd better start chasing your ISP Providors to decrease the prices  :twisted:

#10 September 10 2005

rolf

I've heard something like that, are you talking about Fiber Optics specially in downtown  :?

Anyway speaking about Prices...A week ago i got a free upgrade from 128 to 256 downstream from IDM saying that the internet cost in lebanon has decreased so you'd better start chasing your ISP Providors to decrease the prices  :twisted:

What sort of connection are you talking about? Business or residential broadband?
That's good if THEY called you to double your bandwidth, then the prices must have really dropped a lot!

#11 September 14 2005

abougrej

It's Business Broadband....In fact, as u said the prices in the next few months would Drop more and more hopefully.
For a Home Connection for example there's a guy offering a 64 down 32 Up connection For only 10$ a month (Cable) in Bourj Hammoud Area.....

#12 September 15 2005

jalal

I am now outside Lebanon and coming back soon, i downloaded today Slackware Linux 10.2 (ajdad version ba3da tal3a el yom) (2CDs 1.25 GB) bi a22al min 3 se3at (on 1 MB ADSL)

Hope this become true in ... Lebanon

#13 September 15 2005

rolf

Yeah nice. I could download it too on my 256k, but it'll take like 5 hours.

#14 September 16 2005

ulias

yea yea yea rub it in my face so wut ? it will take 7 Hrs on my 128 k ? yalla the computer has a nuit blanche  today   ,by the way did the linux work or did it has corrupted file   and can u plz give me the download site ? i only got original linux cd's  badde shi wahad copy

#15 September 16 2005

rolf

I did not download slackware. I downloaded fedora core 2 a long time a go (5 cds)

#16 September 16 2005

jalal

OK.
Here is its (fastest http link up to 1Gb/s)

Disk 1 : http://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributi … all-d1.iso

Disk 2 : http://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributi … all-d2.iso

fi ba3d 2 cds bass source cds shou baddak mennon.

Enjoy and I hope the md5 wil be the same  ;)

MD5 for disk 1 : 774e8ea9fe094e8f793c2452187d2723
MD5 for disk 2 : d289b63caac14eb150f32e05e385b3ea

To check if it is right download FileCheckMD5 : http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/1362 … eckMD5.zip

#17 September 23 2005

vegeta

I had a little discussion with my idm 128k distributor
ADSL will be available in Beirut beginning 1st November 2005
He signed a contract with ogero
Connection speed will be a standart 2mb/s !!! means 256kb/s download,16x more than the actual 128k connection
BUT YOU NEED 4 clients per building for seting up because it will cost them 600$ of hardware per building ,I didn't understood if it will be an adsl to network card adapter or not(adsl modems are very costy)
For the prices nothing is decided but it would be 100$ set up fees + 40 to 60$ per month
Personally it's my last 128k bill that I paid 2 days ago because it will end 7 days before adsl launching,I can wait 1 week   
What I should begin to do is to talk to neighbours,normally they will accept because they are already taking the slowy 128k,I cross my fingers  :shock:

#18 September 23 2005

rolf

ooooooh oooooooh oooooooooooh
ooooooooh ooooooooooh

#19 September 23 2005

jalal

hey man I have a "router ADSL ethernet modem" ask the man if i can use it or i must buy their adsl or they dont give me  connection !!!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

#20 September 23 2005

rolf

hey man I have a "router ADSL ethernet modem" ask the man if i can use it or i must buy their adsl or they dont give me  connection !!!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

You most probably still need to buy an ADSL modem.

#21 September 23 2005

mahdoum

no he doesn't, what i understand from jalal is that he has a adsl modem, router, and ethernet switch... so then he doesn't need an adsl modem as it is built in.

#22 October 4 2005

vegeta

Bad news for adsl:
it's gonna be 55$ for only a 1gb total download if you know what I mean,I wonder if it's adsl or satelitte!

#23 October 4 2005

rolf

Bad news for adsl:
it's gonna be 55$ for only a 1gb total download if you know what I mean,I wonder if it's adsl or satelitte!

Where did you get this info? I dont believe it's true!

#24 October 4 2005

vegeta

I talked to the cable distributor of 128k
he said 2 or 3 pack will be available with the same speed  but different total download,yes it's unbeleivable to have only a small 1gb.it's ridiculous!
a 4 gb total download will be at 120$,guys we should do something,anyone can get us a rendez vous with mr Hamadé? we can't let those squals from ogero steal again,adsl in all other countries has unlimited download 20 mb/s for 40$
honé bi rabhoulna jmilé a3la 2 mb/s limited total download??

#25 October 5 2005

rolf

guys we should do something,anyone can get us a rendez vous with mr Hamadé?

I feel exactly like you.
Whatever you want to do I'm with you.

Board footer