LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 October 2 2005

Padre

Re: BF2 Online gaming

ok, im gonna Install OpenVPN for you...but i will have to limit your dl limit per month, i'll see how much we can spare for you

#27 October 2 2005

rolf

Thanks

#28 October 3 2005

Padre

Ok, i'm tired of no response from you guys.
I tested the server on my own connection, i have a lag of 250 msec and it's playing gr8
im gonna keep it up for couple of days more, after that, im gonna remove it

#29 October 3 2005

rolf

Ok I'm getting BF2 right now

(after searching through all my CDs)
Oh gosh, it's already installed on my PC.

#30 October 3 2005

rolf

Connecting.... but where do I see the lag?

I cant connect. The first when the loading finished I got disconnected. Now I dont even get to the loading. I get an error message saying that the connection was interrupted.

Oh now BF2 has closed blablabla fatal error blablabla sorry for the inconvenience

OK connecting again... oh new error!

Ce serveur n'autorise l'acces qu'aux joueurs au contenu initial non modifie

Dont ask me what the hell it's supposed to mean... and yeah sorry BF2 is in french on my PC, I'm not the one who installed it, I'd never have chosen french.

BTW I have 1.0.2442.0

#31 October 4 2005

Padre

Man u must have modded smth in ur game
it's the version ofm y server too.
Well too bad those ho requested the server rn't replying nor seem ot show any interest
I may keep it private for my and my freinds

#32 October 4 2005

darkstar

Ok can u try hosting another game like warcraft or something , just use lancraft, if u r interested let me know..

#33 October 4 2005

Padre

All what i was trying to do is provide a game server for you ppl to enjoy playing on
anything u d like me to test for you, hook me up with a link for the server and i'll install

#34 October 4 2005

Padre

dep: kicking client 0 (maki-rolf) for using modified data

here ya go ....

#35 October 29 2005

erydan

2 things,  1) based on what I have heard around these boards, I just switched from Cyberia to IDM and saw my pings cut in half, now since I just switched like 20 mins ago I have not had a chance to try many games but I did try Call of Duty,  I played it online in Canada last christmas and it was a blast, I don't know if it is as popular as b4 so I will have to try with Counter strike to see if IDM made a playable difference.  I was able to log onto a server, I was never able to b4, my ping on the list was around 250, in the game was around 350 with jumps to 999 but that might have been the server.  Verdict, IDM has better pings but is it better enough? even 250 is unbearable IMO.

2)  When I started playing online games, back in 98', I used to play on a server calleed Cain's Lair  www.cainslair.com. What this guy did, was make a deal with his local ISP,  he provided the server and the ISP hosted it for free, it started as a small server for quake 2, when I joined it had been upgraded to a 16 player server for Tribes, and now it is one of the top and biggest game servers around.  This is what we need in Leb, a game server hosted by a local ISP, this is good for their business. If you want a good connection to a local server you are all going to join the ISP that is hosting that server, especially in Leb cuz if you are on Terra and want to conect to an IDM server you are still routed around the world.

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now, I suffering from major MP withdrawal.

#36 October 29 2005

darkstar

This is what we need in Leb, a game server hosted by a local ISP, this is good for their business. If you want a good connection to a local server you are all going to join the ISP that is hosting that server, especially in Leb cuz if you are on Terra and want to conect to an IDM server you are still routed around the world.

Maybe after we get Adsl in 2006 (according to what i read), that might be possible then

#37 October 29 2005

erydan

ADSL, if done properly and conected to the local networks, won't really matter where the server is, there are alot of good servers close enough, the problem we are having is with this GDS BS, from what I can tell, is that all traffic is sent by satellite to Virginia then back again. This is where the lag is killing us. So, if you are on let's say cyberia, and you wanted to connect to a Terra server you would have high ping because your connection is going to the U.S. and back which is bad enough, throw satellite into the mix and it is even worse.  But, if you are on Terra, and conected to a terra server I would imagine it would stay in the country thus you would have bearable pings.

Either way, I wouldn't put too much faith into DSL because 1) they have been saying it is ready since 2002, now they are saying 2006, even though it suposedly already there, and 2) with Leb's Banana politics you can be sure that the ISP's are blocking DSL every chance they get because if the best they can come up with is this antique tech from GDS they won;t last long in competition with DSL from the PTT.

The point is, if Terra hosted a game server, then people on Terra should have no problems connecting to it, even with dial up.  I suggest testing it for yourself, try pinging your ISP then ping another ISP and see the difference. Of course I have totally forgotten PL in the whole equation but one step at a time

#38 October 29 2005

rolf

This is where the lag is killing us. So, if you are on let's say cyberia, and you wanted to connect to a Terra server you would have high ping because your connection is going to the U.S. and back which is bad enough, throw satellite into the mix and it is even worse.

Shouldn't be like this. THere is a national backbone connecting all the lebanese ISP, and if you notice lebanese sites (that is those who are hosted on lebanese servers) have a lower latency. The backbone was installed a couple of years back and presented as a big achievement.

But I did some traceroutes, and for those who got throught the crappy firewall configuration that our retards ISP have (please dont waste an opportunity of insulting them when you talk about them) could not confirm what I said... ie the traceroute to terra.net.lb went halfway through the world.

OK so we know IDM has better pings. When I got the connection it was pretty good, and I could play BF2 online. But now it seems to have gotten remarquably worse. So I wonder: despite the better pings, is IDM really better for online gaming? Or doesnt' it matter because you cant play online anyways?

BTW there's a big chance I'll be getting a VISP ADSL 128/512 for the office soon - supposedly dedicated. At last a respectable connection... The home is hooked up to the office network BTW ;)

#39 October 30 2005

erydan

First, I am sure there is a backbone connecting all ISPs, but because of GDS which is providing the "broadband", it is by satellite through a provider in the US, so to connect to any site in Leb it has to go through that US provider first. Dumb, I know, but that seems to be the way they are doing it. It is a shame they cannot find a provider close by, I am sure our Soviet Block neighbors have broadband. Anyways, I digress...

Like I said, I tried Call of Duty this morning, I got server list pings of around 250, this is bad cuz most servers won;t let you in with a ping that high, once I found a server that did not block high pings I found that while on the server my pings were at 350 with jumps off the scale, verdict: unplayable.

I installed Counter Strike, under the theory that it is probablly the most popular online game in the world and would have more servers to choose from and maybe be able to find one nearby,  I installed it a 1pm and it was about 2:30 this morning that it finished updating.  I got on the list pings from 200,  the problem was that it was timing out during the connection phase:P  The gay thing is that the lowest pings were from US and Canada East Coast servers, further proof that our traffic is routed through Virginia.  Anyways, I was finally able to log onto a server and played with few guys from a clan who were nice enough to be patient with me considering it has been 3 years since I have played online and I had a ping of 250.  It was playable, obviously not the best but I managed to get a few kills in and can;t wait to try again:)

I was unable to try Battlefield because the copy I got is FUBAR so maybe when I get it exchanged.

Again, this is with IDM, with Cyberia, pings were at least double.

#40 October 30 2005

Padre

practically erydan is right. the isp im using is routing it's traffic throught the UK.
But having a lateny of 250 and 350 ... is simply great  u've got one of the lowest latencys in lebanon bro

#41 November 1 2005

rolf

First, I am sure there is a backbone connecting all ISPs, but because of GDS which is providing the "broadband", it is by satellite through a provider in the US,

So, how comes terranet and IDM have different latencies and different traceroutes?

#42 November 1 2005

erydan

I don;t know, I still have not been able to do a succesful ping or traceroute with IDM, I even get timeouts while trying to ping www.idm.net.lb  IDM seems to have better equipment maybe, higher capacity?  I don't know, they are obviously doing something different/better.

BTW, I have not been able yet to repeat my experience of Saturday night, my connection went dead Sunday morning and just came back today, all connections to game servers have been with 999 pings.

#43 November 1 2005

rolf

I can do traceroutes but only from my linux box. The window "tracert" will not work because it uses ICMP packets. There must be 3rd party traceroute untilites for windows that work.

If you want to ping the internal IDM network try this host:
wup.idm.net.lb

#44 November 1 2005

erydan

#    Host    Round Trip Time
1    193.188.135.11    219 ms
2    193.188.135.11    110 ms
3    193.188.135.11    250 ms
4    193.188.135.11    203 ms
5    193.188.135.11    406 ms
6    193.188.135.11    282 ms
7    193.188.135.11    156 ms
8    193.188.135.11    94 ms
9    193.188.135.11    1031 ms
10    193.188.135.11    281 ms
    10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss.   
    Round Trip Times (Min/Max/Average): 94/1031/303 ms.   
Thanks, That worked. I am using tweakmaster, it has alot of nice little utilities.  These results don;t look so great. I wa sable to play some CS just recently, now that loacal networks seem to have quieted down, and people in NA are awake to play with:P  Most servers seem to kick anyone above 250mms, the best I can do is around 290mms, it is playable, barely, provided you can find a server.

#45 November 1 2005

rolf

I got average ping 101 ms on that IP.
maybe you're using bigger packets.
Try widows ping utility:
ping -t wup.idm.net.lb

#46 November 1 2005

erydan

#    Host    Round Trip Time
1    193.188.135.11    78 ms
2    193.188.135.11    156 ms
3    193.188.135.11    93 ms
4    193.188.135.11    93 ms
5    193.188.135.11    125 ms
6    193.188.135.11    62 ms
7    193.188.135.11    46 ms
8    193.188.135.11    62 ms
9    193.188.135.11    109 ms
10    193.188.135.11    78 ms
    10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss.   
    Round Trip Times (Min/Max/Average): 46/156/90 ms.   

I guess I was either in a rush or being lazy:)  I should have done several tests b4 posting the first results.

Been playing some CS, The big problem I am having is that I have some serious jumps in Packet Loss and (this is a new one for me) my "Choke" keeps spiking.  On the brighter side I was able to get into a UK server.

Board footer