LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 17 2016

silo_m8

I stopped pirating games and it feels good

So its been about 5 months since I started getting my games legit. My thought process was: I have a somewhat disposable income that is being spent on eating and drinking out regularly with my girlfriend on the weekends and sometimes during the week. If I skip one night out, that's one triple A title bought from g2a or kinguin at launch.
Since then, I'm being more critical on what I buy, and as a result I'm not having subpar gaming experiences. The con is that I don't play every single game that comes out, but frankly I don't have the time to play everything.
Patching support, cloud saves, achievements, online play, everything is great.

Also my girlfriend is a gamer, i shared my steam library with her through family share, as long as I'm not logged in,  she can play all my games while having her own saves and achievements.

I'm happy to have switched, any of you have the same experience?  Thoughts?

#2 March 17 2016

LifeEngineer

Re: I stopped pirating games and it feels good

https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16113
Welcome to the club man! Enjoy freedom and peace of mind!

#3 March 17 2016

Hybrid

Welcome to the "I can afford it" side, I rarely play games nowadays, but if I do, all of them are not pirated... Even my windows 10 is genuine now

#4 March 17 2016

hassansaleh31

I have done the same once i bought my gaming pc ( i used to play pirated games on my laptop) it does feel great to have everytging legit, i don't have much but i'm still enjoying all my games especially battlefield 4

#5 March 17 2016

rolf

I have bought windows 7 OEM a couple of years ago and started using Photoshop subscription based service last year. With that, there is no more pirated software running on my computer.
In my experience it puts things back in perspective, and allows me to "vote with my wallet". I've also been appreciating linux more, now that I realize that Windows is not free!

#6 March 17 2016

bermudapineapple

Welcome to the club. I changed my ways 3 or 4 years ago, not because I could afford to buy games legally, but because I couldn't get over the fact that pirating games is the same thing as stealing something from a supermarket.

I definitely agree that going legit has fine-tuned my gaming selection. I've come to realize I play fewer games today from particular genres and developers. I also play less, but that might have something to do with "growing up."

#7 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

About the con, it's not a con.

#8 March 17 2016

silo_m8

rolf wrote:

In my experience it puts things back in perspective, and allows me to "vote with my wallet".

That's exactly why I am consciously avoiding EA titles because I feel their buisness model is plain thievery, and avoiding UBISOFT titles because they have become the same sandbox with a long checklist and radio towers.

NuclearVision wrote:

About the con, it's not a con.

I mainly consume video games as entertainment and I rarely watch series and movies. So I'm constantly craving novelty, i get excited and want to play new games and experience new stories. But as I said, it's not a deal breaker nowadays because I don't have the time to play everything, games are lasting longer with me.

Last edited by silo_m8 (March 17 2016)

#9 March 17 2016

Ramnesia

I started to think that way when I first bought CS:GO, since then I learned to appreciate games and support developers and only buy and play what I like. After that i bought genuine windows 8 and started to look for alternative free softwares If I couldn't afford it.
I cannot say that for movies and Tv shows though but maybe someday.

#10 March 17 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

It depends if you like playing online, if yes then definitely go legit, for single player though why pay 60$ for something you can have at 2000LL ;)
Specially that games nowadays are shorter and shorter in main missions
So yes you must have a golden ''fils a papa'' status with a dedicated fiber optic 500$ per month internet to play multiplayer games without a +100ms input lag, so if you have this status then mabrouk.
I am not a poor guy thanks God, but there are more important thing to invest in in life than playing online

#11 March 17 2016

silo_m8

vegetaleb wrote:

It depends if you like playing online, if yes then definitely go legit, for single player though why pay 60$ for something you can have at 2000LL ;)
Specially that games nowadays are shorter and shorter in main missions
So yes you must have a golden ''fils a papa'' status with a dedicated fiber optic 500$ per month internet to play multiplayer games without a +100ms input lag, so if you have this status then mabrouk.
I am not a poor guy thanks God, but there are more important thing to invest in in life than playing online

Not everyone sees things the same, I wouldn't expect someone raised in a lebanese environment where scamming and stealing are considered a skill and the smart way to live to see it the same as I see it.

All morals aside, you are consuming a product, be it physical or digital, and one would expect to be charged a price for this product.

I was born into that mentality that I mentioned, and the Easy way for me to convince myself to stop pirating, was to look at my entertainment budget and analyse it. If you move some expenses from consumable goods towards things that last like pc hardware and video games, you will realize how fast the money adds up. This is why I own the setup I own and the instruments I play.

Lastly, I feel the "fils a papa" comment was unnecessary. I'm a hardworking mechanical engineer, a drummer in a Rock band, i go out regularly to party and drink and eat out, and I have a passion for video games. So I'm not taking anything away from my way of life by restructuring the way I spend my disposable income.

Again, I had the same mentality before, but I never tried to put down other people who try hard to do things in a legal fashion.

Last edited by silo_m8 (March 17 2016)

#12 March 17 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Well doing legal things to help Lebanon I am all in, but paying an extra $ for foreign companies who are already making billions of $ it really doesn't touch the legal thing.
Mafias like moteur ichtirak,Cable Vision, internet providers who are stucking us in stone age,people who don't respect driving laws, illegal weapons, te7rib stuff, drugs dealing with a political partnership, water mafias...there are the illegal stuff we should condemn because they are truly killing us and turning our country from a lost Paradise to a mafias hell land

#13 March 17 2016

silo_m8

vegetaleb wrote:

Well doing legal things to help Lebanon I am all in, but paying an extra $ for foreign companies who are already making billions of $ it really doesn't touch the legal thing.
Mafias like moteur ichtirak,Cable Vision, internet providers who are stucking us in stone age,people who don't respect driving laws, illegal weapons, te7rib stuff, drugs dealing with a political partnership, water mafias...there are the illegal stuff we should condemn because they are truly killing us and turning our country from a lost Paradise to a mafias hell land

A successful company making a successful product that you are interested in deserves the money because it filled a need you want.  This is where you exercise some common sense when giving money for a product. If you feel the product is not worth the money, then it's our responsibility as consumers to show these companies that interest in a product with a shitty value proposition is non existent. When on the contrary, we flock to pirate the product, this tells these companies to keep making the same kind of products because interest is high, regardless of sales numbers (Ubisoft games, call of duty, etc...). This is the power that the consumer has but disregards it because of self-control problem.

Given what I just said,  one thing doesn't stop the other,  striving to do the right thing in one place doesn't stop me from also doing the right thing in other places. Dish and tv services are overpriced, absolutely,  that's why you stop supporting their practices by not taking the service they are offering.
Electricity, water and Internet are a problem: overpriced, outdated and unmaintained infrastructure. That one is a problem for everyone, and everybody should work towards a solution but that doesn't mean that you should steal water, electricity and Internet from your neighbors.

Drugs and guns are irrelevant because they shouldn't be present in the first place, which isn't the topic here.

Political problems are not what's being discussed here,  but having those political problems doesn't give you the inherent right to do illegal things and push for a dystopian future where every person is out to just take care of himself.

Price gouging on luxury item? Do get them if you can't afford them.  Price gouging on basic necessities like food and water? I'll be the first one with a pitchfork in my hand to change the status quo.

Tldr: shitty political situation doesn't give you the right to steal,  and definitely not the right to put down people who don't

#14 March 17 2016

ironman

well said silo,
same here, it all started with buying CSGO from steam, now with Windows 7 Genuine, and mainly everything genuine.

#15 March 17 2016

RandomMemory

I don't want to advertise, but you should search for cheapassgamer for console players. You can buy spots on accounts (gamesharing) for cheap (prices vary from 1$-10$). Also for pc gaming i buy from external key sites, it's way better than buying full price from steam, also origin access for 4$ is a really good offer.

#16 March 17 2016

Tech Guru

I am into both

PC Gaming : Legit and not legit (depending on the Title) and a PS4 (Legit with Friends Trading or Nino Exchange).

3DM claimed that they have cracked Denuvo Anti-Tamper for the recent AAA titles but I think they lied about that , I am  coder/programmer and I have skimmed what Denuvo Anti-Tamper is all about that which is very hard to crack (long story way) but not impossible (it takes long and tough time) and as they are releasing updated versions , they are making pirated games tougher. Therefore, getting use to bring legit titles from steam or other stores will be a requirement.

#17 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

if you let me psychologically analyze it for you.
Simplifying everything i concluded, i think you are ready to pay more for a couple of games, than pay the same amount for tens of games, not to necessarly support devs although its a noble thinking, but rather not to feel guilty about playing tons of games and wasting time.
In other words, you are spending more money to play less, on purpose.
I hope you're not offended or something.

regards :)

#18 March 17 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Tech Guru wrote:

I am into both

PC Gaming : Legit and not legit (depending on the Title) and a PS4 (Legit with Friends Trading or Nino Exchange).

3DM claimed that they have cracked Denuvo Anti-Tamper for the recent AAA titles but I think they lied about that , I am  coder/programmer and I have skimmed what Denuvo Anti-Tamper is all about that which is very hard to crack (long story way) but not impossible (it takes long and tough time) and as they are releasing updated versions , they are making pirated games tougher. Therefore, getting use to bring legit titles from steam or other stores will be a requirement.

Hackers always faced new difficult protections, I am confident Denuvo will be cracked in 2016, there are lot of Chinese and Russian guys who are as good as 3DM and are working on it to get credit for

#19 March 17 2016

Ramnesia

NuclearVision wrote:

Simplifying everything i concluded, i think you are ready to pay more for a couple of games, than pay the same amount for tens of games, not to necessarly support devs although its a noble thinking, but rather not to feel guilty about playing tons of games and wasting time.

I was stealing before so I decided not to anymore ( still stealing movies and Tv shows ) working on not stealing that, please psycho analyse that.

Last edited by Ramnesia (March 17 2016)

#20 March 17 2016

silo_m8

NuclearVision wrote:

You couldn't be more off point.

#21 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

silo_m8 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

You couldn't be more off point.

I'll take that as a no .

#22 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

Ramnesia wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

I was stealing before so I decided not to anymore ( still stealing movies and Tv shows ) working on not stealing that, please psycho analyse that.

Those don't count as stealing, you're clean...

But really, i'll do my best, an objective scientific analysis, i could be wrong though
okay, you say you quit pirates computer content, that could mean two things. You probably work in the IT field, and refuse such piracy, because it would indirectly affect you. But you still pirate movies which means you're far from media domain.
Or else, it could not be particularly related to your work, but you seem to have computer games as your major time spending mean, in a way bigger proportion than movies and tv shows, divided between those two you don't socialize much.
Back to piracy: You spend much time on computer games, you make good cash, thus you try to spend more money in this, thinking of it as the money you'd substituted if elsewhere spent, outside your house, in theaters, cinemas, or clubs.
Regards.

#23 March 17 2016

Ramnesia

NuclearVision wrote:
Ramnesia wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

But really, i'll do my best, an objective scientific analysis, i could be wrong though
okay, you say you quit pirates computer content, that could mean two things. You probably work in the IT field, and refuse such piracy, because it would indirectly affect you. But you still pirate movies which means you're far from media domain.
Or else, it could not be particularly related to your work, but you seem to have computer games as your major time spending mean, in a way bigger proportion than movies and tv shows, divided between those two you don't socialize much.
Back to piracy: You spend much time on computer games, you make good cash, thus you try to spend more money in this, thinking of it as the money you'd substituted if elsewhere spent, outside your house, in theaters, cinemas, or clubs.
Regards.

I think you are wasting your time...

#24 March 17 2016

NuclearVision

Ramnesia wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:
Ramnesia wrote:

Regards.

I think you are wasting your time...

I quit gaming for good.

#25 March 17 2016

rolf

Maybe if there was a big market for second hand original games, then less people would be doing piracy in Lebanon.

Board footer