LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#201 April 15 2015

NAM

Re: Feedback for TerraNet

achkar wrote:

I have an 8Mbps Terranet and a backup 1Mbps sodetel connection. Terranet has been horrible recently (they usually get bad when summer nears -- it has nothing to do with the lines as my attainable rate is 15Mbps). They also get especially bad during weekends and holidays. I sometimes get faster speeds on my 1Mbps connection than on my 8Mbps connection.

can you please tell me if you have 2 land lines to your house "one for sodetel and one for terra" or just one land line ?

#202 April 18 2015

achkar

Hello NAM,

I have two lines. As far as I know, you can't have two subscriptions on the same line. (You have to stop one to get the other)

#203 April 29 2015

hkbazzi

can anyone confirm that terranet has good sub 100 pings for online  gaming?? for example LoL or CS:GO

#204 May 10 2015

random-username

Hope I'm not breaking any rules, but when I was extracting my PPPoE credentials via the tool mokhtar created, I noticed that the password was 12345678. I was wondering whether Terranet uses this as a generic password for all of its subscribers. If this is confirmed, Terranet users will be able to setup modems effortlessly without needing to beg customer support for the credentials. 

Awaiting your feedback.

#205 September 18 2015

Darkzoon

hello , guys i am new in terranet ,can anybody help me please i need to open the router login page from terranet
the router is technicolor tg582n (i tried administrator didn't work)

#206 September 24 2015

EzikMezik

Anyone in the metn area getting extremely crappy speeds in the past week? (sub 0.25Mbit/s). I called and as usual it's not from their end, they just said the centrale is having some issues. Anyone can confirm?

Last edited by EzikMezik (September 24 2015)

#207 September 27 2015

Truepeace

Can I get some feedback for Terranet if I want to switch from WISE?
I saw they have the 2M70 plan for 25$ including free night traffic. Does night traffic comes without fup like at IDM? And do they have good support? I had a very good experience at wise, no speed throttling except for torrents and I could always reach the 2mbit speed and I have some good line stats (connected to central Araya) so if Terranet offers me the same quality as WISE it would be very nice.

Edit: I just read previous pages, FUP seems really bad at night, but can anyone update on it since the last posts were in 2014

Last edited by Truepeace (September 27 2015)

#208 September 27 2015

bigjudge

@ Truepeace, Still the same thing horrible FUP from 4 pm till 3 am daily. Streaming at 144 p is a big hassle, don't dream of streaming 720. Terrible customer service for the last year or so, They were much better before. Stick to Wise.

#209 September 27 2015

Truepeace

@bigjudge Wow that's a lot of troubles  Maybe it's also because of your old line & central because I've read 2 good opinions and my friend mentionned me that at the peak hours he gets 100kb/sec of torrenting instead of 200kb/sec so maybe if I am not far from my central and I have good lines I won't suffer (that much) because no night traffic at wise is really killing me for my downloads/updates

#210 September 28 2015

bigjudge

I have Brand new wires, 300 meter from the central, Terranet implements the FUP for almost 21 days per month, every 21 of any month, speeds go back to normal any time of the day. It reaches 208 k /s. then after 3 days, it gradually decreases per day, now we are the 28th, my speed at now is 75 k /s , It will reach bottom in couple of days and stays that way till next 21, ie October 21. I don't know what your friend has with Terranet, but this is what i have been dealing with for the last 2.5 years. I have been with Terra since 2007.

#211 September 29 2015

achkar

I have been Terranet for quite a long time now and can confirm @bigjudge's comment. I have an 8Mbps connection; my line is pretty close to the central and my attainable rate is over 11Mbps. Terra refuses to acknowledge the issues on their end. I have a backup connection with Sodetel and it looks like they honor their rates better (although that one is for a smaller package so I don't know how they handle larger packages). My take on this is the following: I want quality and the only thing that is giving me what I'm looking for is my cellphone's hotspot. I'll be buying extra large 3G packages and forgetting about landlines altogether. I copied the below from Alfa's website and added the price per GB underneath. Apart from the first two packages (which I don't think can be anyone's main connection), the inflection point happens at the 20GB package. So for those of you who are looking for quality and don't want to spend too much (more), you can buy the 20GB package.

Data Bundle  0.5        1.5       5        10            20          30       40         60
Price              $10      $19       $29     $49        $69         $99     $119     $149
Price per GB  $20.0  $12.7     $5.8   $4.9       $3.5        $3.3     $3.0      $2.5

#212 September 29 2015

MrClass

I currently have Terranet, but not happy. Bir Hassan is my central (Ogero HQ). Is it worth moving to Ogero? Will I get a better connection? Price doesn't matter as long as connection is reliable. What do you guys think?

#213 September 29 2015

achkar

@MrClass I had Ogero in the past as well. I would say it's better than Terranet but if price doesn't matter, 3G is the best option (you can get crazy speeds). What I would do is the following:
1- Buy an unlimited plan for downloads and as a backup plan (I think for $23)
2- Use 3G mainly for your day-to-day work

I currently have two non-3G connections; Terra and Sodetel (I had Ogero before Sodetel - I moved to Sodetel for the unlimited package)
I use Terra as my main connection (which I will be dropping soon) and Sodetel for my siblings and as a backup connection (I don't want to deal with them crying about their GBs ending or me sharing bandwidth with anyone).

Something to keep in mind when you want to switch connections: you have to wait for a month before you can apply for another ISP so unless you have 2 phone lines, this is not an option.

#214 September 29 2015

Hamra

Terranet user here, Hasbaya, South Lebanon.
It seems they have some virtual cap on bandwidth that they don't tell us about. I came to Lebanon in July, I found my family has a 2 Mbps line from Terranet.

At first it was all good, speed was steady, pings were about 80 ms, and speed was good day and night. My family barely uses 10 GB per month.

I started using the free night bandwidth, along with a lot of the day bandwidth. After 2 weeks of this, everything degraded.

Now, as soon as it hits 9 PM, the line gets capped at exactly 0.6 Mbps. It's not like a slowdown or something, but a hard cap. It stays like this till 3 AM, after which it goes back to 2 Mbps. It has been doing this, without fail, and exactly as specified for the last month.

Extremely frustrating.

I tried this month to balance my downloads. I calculated day by day, and made sure I'll reach end of month at 30 GB instead of 40 GB. and limited downloads at night. But to no avail, the cap just won't go from 9 PM to 3 AM :/

wtf?

#215 September 29 2015

Truepeace

Does a VPN bypass the fup?

Last edited by Truepeace (September 29 2015)

#216 September 29 2015

achkar

@Hamra, Terranet gets especially bad during the summer. It gets better when the summer is over, especially during the day. When students come back from school, it becomes bad again.

#217 September 29 2015

Hamra

Truepeace wrote:

Does a VPN bypass the fup?

nope... it gets worse, actually..

they prioritize http/https traffic.. try a vpn connection during peak time, and you'll find it completely unusable.
same for torrents, ssh and ftp..

#218 September 29 2015

Hamra

achkar wrote:

@Hamra, Terranet gets especially bad during the summer. It gets better when the summer is over, especially during the day. When students come back from school, it becomes bad again.

Well, I don't mind that.. Like I said, I understand slow downs. But I will not understand timed speed caps!

#219 September 29 2015

achkar

@Hamra, I was picking up an HDMI cable from a friend earlier tonight and was complaining about my connection(s). He told me he's using Wimax (sold by http://connect.net.lb/ ) so I asked him if he's getting stable speeds. He told me his company is a reseller and that he has a Wimax in his car so I bought a plan (315 + 30$ VAT) for 3 months + I got the machine for free. I couldn't find good spots in the house but it was PHENOMENAL on the roof (they are honoring their 5Mbps!). I'll look for better spots in the house in the morning.
I think they have a 48hr return policy in case you're not sure whether you can get coverage. I'm very excited about it... I got set up within minutes (of course I still need to find where to place the machine and link it to my router but that's just about it)
Also, my friend told me about their "biscuit" which is an extra machine that would use the same quota you have but each machine would have its own speed; i.e. 5mbps) The biscuit can be in a totally different place than the base (it can be in a different town)

#220 October 7 2015

Hamra

Guys, seriously, this is insane, and absolutely not fair.

The problem I mentioned earlier about the cap they keep putting, check out how insane it is in this photo.

Between 9 PM and 3 AM, my line is not even 512!

2cSqInm.png

#221 October 7 2015

BetterGoogleIt

Anyone having high ping and TONS of packet loss from terranet?
I have a terranet connection via reseller and since the last week it's been horrible for gaming....

#222 October 7 2015

Hamra

Pinging to a New Jersey server in the US has an average of 240 ms, and 4% loss.

#223 October 7 2015

BetterGoogleIt

Please can you ping to any EU server like bbc.co.uk -t and tell me your results?

#224 October 7 2015

achkar

Guys, I dropped my Terranet connection at the beginning of this month and I haven't been happier in a quite a long time!
If Connect ( connect.net.lb ) works for you (in my case, I had to place it on the roof), you'll be very happy.

There's no setup time (I bought the machine and it worked the same day) so this is a big bonus.

Best of luck.

#225 October 7 2015

Hybrid

achkar wrote:

Guys, I dropped my Terranet connection at the beginning of this month and I haven't been happier in a quite a long time!
If Connect ( connect.net.lb ) works for you (in my case, I had to place it on the roof), you'll be very happy.

There's no setup time (I bought the machine and it worked the same day) so this is a big bonus.

Best of luck.

Can you share the latency and some other info?

Board footer