LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 5 2015

mokhtar

Tool for extracting PPPoE username and password

When my Ogero Technicolor TG582n router's LAN ports got fried taking with it my XBox LAN port (not sure if the cause was lightning or some power surge) I got no love from ogero customer support. I needed to change my router.

Going through the forum I found some older posts about how to get the PPPoE username and password, but the techniques seemed outdated and no longer applicable presumably because of newer firmware. (Please update me if I'm wrong or point me to the right post)

So I found my own way. I wrote a tool (chrome app) for retrieving the account details, and would like to share it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … aafgfjgpbm

#2 April 5 2015

vengeance666

Re: Tool for extracting PPPoE username and password

I already got mine , thought I would test this and seems not working with my TP-Link TD-W8901N .. Finds the gateway but can't communicate with router.

#3 April 5 2015

mokhtar

Hey vengeance666,

Thanks for testing it. The "can't communicate with router" error means that the RPC call to the router returned an error or timed out.
(I  tried to keep the error messag very generic.)

It is a good thing actually that most routers don't allow this, I consider it a vulnerability not a feature.

This hadn't really crossed my mind before, but I wonder how many cafes, hotels and restaurants providing public wifi could be at risk.

Maybe it would be a good idea to advise them?

#4 April 5 2015

NAM

lol .. i tried the tool and it works great with my generic techinicolor router "from IDM" it only took 1 second (btw i knew the username and pass since they sent it to me in an email) great job bro

#5 April 5 2015

mokhtar

Thanks NAM .. :) It's good to know it is working correctly.

Hopefully more people will find it useful.

#6 April 6 2015

random-username

Thanks mokhtar, I've been thinking about changing my adsl modem for a while, but terranet was refusing to provide me with the PPPoE username and password. The program worked like a charm (less than a second to retrieve the data). Cheers!

#7 April 6 2015

mokhtar

My pleasure.

Just a quick note the IP address given as the gateway is actually your local address. I'll make a fix and release an updated version.

I also just released a command line tool version:

https://github.com/mnaamani/upnp-get-account

#8 April 6 2015

mokhtar

@random-username what model is your dsl modem?

It might be interesting to make a list of modems that the tools works for.

#9 April 6 2015

random-username

Technicolor tg582n.

#10 May 5 2015

bayram

thomson tg585 v7
works like a charm. thanks :)

#11 May 5 2015

mokhtar

Excellent. :)

#12 May 5 2015

random-username

mokhtar wrote:

It seems like your program works only for technicolor tg582n. Are you considering updating the list of compatible modems?

#13 May 6 2015

nas93

thanks for the app, can you explain how to get it to work on chrome?

Edit: got the username and password however when I place them connecting text is stuck in a boot loop I'm using a TP-Link TL-MR3420 that is 3G/WAN router
1YkBKA.jpg

Last edited by nas93 (May 6 2015)

#14 May 6 2015

AVOlio

I have a Thomson TG585 v8, and it says "error communicating with router".

#15 May 6 2015

DNA

@nas93 so you got the username and password from your dsl technicolor and using them in a 3G router?

#16 May 6 2015

Kazouza

Message nrifai@ogero.gov.lb and ask him about the username and password.

He will ask you for a copy of your ID or passport and the last phone bill you received. Once you send them, he will send you back all the information you need, PPPoE username and pass + Admin username and password of the router.

Got mine 2 days ago :)

Last edited by Kazouza (May 6 2015)

#17 May 6 2015

Ahmad Toutounji

how many characters the password should be ( ogero ) ? does 32 characters sound right?

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (May 6 2015)

#18 May 6 2015

nas93

DNA wrote:

@nas93 so you got the username and password from your dsl technicolor and using them in a 3G router?

its a 3g/wan router works both ways

#19 May 6 2015

random-username

Hope I'm not breaking any rules, but my PPPoE password for Terranet turned out to be 12345678. Do they use this generic password for all subscribers. Can another Terranet subscriber confirm this hypothesis?

#20 May 6 2015

DNA

nas93 wrote:
DNA wrote:

its a 3g/wan router works both ways

aha ok, are you sure you bridged the interface on the dsl router? you could try it first on the dsl router to confirm its working

#21 May 7 2015

Ahmad Toutounji

how many characters should be the password of the pppoe of Thomson tg585v7 (ogero)?

#22 May 7 2015

mokhtar wrote:

When my Ogero Technicolor TG582n router's LAN ports got fried taking with it my XBox LAN port (not sure if the cause was lightning or some power surge) I got no love from ogero customer support. I needed to change my router.

Going through the forum I found some older posts about how to get the PPPoE username and password, but the techniques seemed outdated and no longer applicable presumably because of newer firmware. (Please update me if I'm wrong or point me to the right post)

So I found my own way. I wrote a tool (chrome app) for retrieving the account details, and would like to share it here:

Can I use this tool to recover username and password  , then hard reset my wireless router and then  setup my custom SSID and password? or there is a tool to have login  username and password "of the wireless router"

Last edited by 313 (May 7 2015)

#23 May 7 2015

Ramnesia

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

how many characters should be the password of the pppoe of Thomson tg585v7 (ogero)?

Mine is 18 characters.

#24 May 7 2015

mokhtar

Hey @313 It only extracts the PPPoE password. Not the router admin passwords. So yes you would have to reset your router and do a clean setup from scratch to have admin access to it.

313 wrote:
mokhtar wrote:

Can I use this tool to recover username and password  , then hard reset my wireless router and then  setup my custom SSID and password? or there is a tool to have login  username and password "of the wireless router"

#25 May 7 2015

mokhtar

Well the tool just uses the UPnP API exposed by the router. So Any router that supports the specific function that I am using will work.
If you can figure out which upnp library and version is used by technicolor firmware, chances are other modems using the same software will be possible to extract the password for.

random-username wrote:
mokhtar wrote:

It seems like your program works only for technicolor tg582n. Are you considering updating the list of compatible modems?

Board footer