LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 9 2005

naregkar

Wireless Internet Services

Hi guys,

I wonder why the number of companies providing wireless Internet service to residents is increasing. Does this mean that long awaited DSL connections will still be unavailable for the coming months, or maybe years???

I saw a new advertisement regarding wireless Internet service from Teletrade Computer Systems. It says 256K, i.e., 32KB/s, nothing mentioned about its bandwidth, for $50 (VAT inclusive) per month. No need for installing a dish at the roof of the building. You only have to buy a Nextnet Broadband modem for $440 (VAT inclusive) and connect to your PC via a USB port. The only limitation is that (what the girl from Teletrade told me on the phone) is that your home must be near the shore (she told: 500m from the sea). I understand that this service is only for Beirut and its costal suburbs.

Do you guys have any info about other such services? I know the residental broaband service from IDM, TerraNet and Cyberia. Has anyone heard of Cedarcom's residental project?

So, if 80% of the "DSL project" is done when will the remaining 20% be accomplished?

Nareg

#2 August 9 2005

samer
Admin

Re: Wireless Internet Services

hey Nareg, welcome to lebgeeks.

So, if 80% of the "DSL project" is done when will the remaining 20% be accomplished?

it was a project by Alain Tabourian the former minister, (bel 7oukoumeh el mwa2ateh...) - so he faded out, like his projects: typical lebanese.

#3 August 9 2005

naregkar

Hey Samer,

First of all thanks for your welcome!

This means that we will wait the newly appointed minister Marwan Hamade...

Let us see when Lebanese will change their way of thinking and implement things which are really vital for the economy as a whole and finally for us!!!

Nareg

#4 August 9 2005

rolf

Hi
Beware of teletrade's offer, the have limited download volume, I called them.
If you're a heavy downloader the best deal, as far as I know, is GDS and idm/cyberia (avoid terranet)

DSL is not even at the project stage yet, sorry :(
Anyway that would not fix the price/speed problem, because the problem here is that the state has a monopoly over international connectivity and they charge a lot for it.
The gear that GDS use for example can handle something like 512k upload and 1-2 mbits downoad (dont remember exact numbers...), but they wont give you this speed because it costs too much and nobody will buy it.

I heard about cedarcom's project, I also read somewhere on the net that they signed an agreement with fiberlinks for that. But that's all I know, and it has been more than a year now.

#5 August 9 2005

wollyka

for that price i think u r limited to 2-3 GB download per month.

#6 August 10 2005

naregkar

DSL is not even at the project stage yet, sorry :(

This means that no DSL for the coming months and years. How nice!!

So I have to go for either IDM Broadband or Teletrade's Service, isn't it?

Btw, thanks for all the other responses...

#7 August 10 2005

rolf

My advice is GDS with IDM 256k. You get around 30KB UNLIMITED download, but beware you'll only get about 5KB upload speed.
For kazaa, bittorrent and other p2p you'll have lower speeds during the day.
Due to session limitations, you'll have to change the settings on emule, bittorrent and some other session intensive programs (mostly p2p programs) or else they will saturate your connection and you wont be able to browse, chat, etc...  until you turn them off.
If you use more than 1 PC on the same conneciton, you'll have to be even more careful with this session limitation problem.

Any other question I'm at your service.

#8 August 10 2005

naregkar

Thanks Rolf for your reply,

I was going to get GDS from IDM but unfortunately there are no other subscribers in my building.

When they started this service, the number of subscribers per building was three. Now they have lowered to two, but yet I cannot get because of the non-techy neighbours...

Nareg

Board footer