LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 9 2004

samer
Admin

Starting with Linux

Hey evb, I'm interested to start using Linux
I have got some questions about it:

What distro to choose ?
Best way to learn linux ? (recommended books, articles, tutorials)

It would be great if somebody here could write an article about the above questions and some other useful info

#2 October 18 2004

Ragnar78

Re: Starting with Linux

Start with Knoppix...

And you have every single thing you need on the net to start...
Actually, the only way ti understand linux (other than the GUI interface) is to practice...start as in dos...delete files, create files, mount drives, install apps,...

Then go to Suse distro to understand KDE and Gnome (prettiest interface i saw for the 2)...

Then get Debian...the most perfect distro of all...(in my opinion)

#3 October 19 2004

l33thium

as ragnar said sue is great for kde but the best is Slackware or redhat but it would be hard to use them if it's you're first time on linux

Unforgiven ... do u get any credit for telling ppl to use windows or making any add for microsoft :)

#5 October 22 2004

cyber_lady

or i could give u the poly our teacher gave us at uni...it's very helpfull and kind of a step by step...

#6 October 22 2004

samer
Admin

that would be great :) ..

#7 January 26 2005

mezin

Unforgiven ... do u get any credit for telling ppl to use windows or making any add for microsoft :)

i remember saying that, well windows is actually the most user friendly OS (fact) but now linux has arousen my interest .. but my opinion holds

#8 February 9 2005

Parabola

I downloaded coLinux yesterday and while installing it I choosed the option to download Debian... I Installed it and now I am starting learning it...

#9 February 9 2005

Ragnar78

I managed to install Gentoo distro...it's quiet cool. The only problem is i didn't know how to configure grub to set Genkernel as a kernel to boot from, i only set the normal kernel...its a good distro and you do everything from the start, from partitioning to archive extrating and emerging system, to grub or lilo config....

I bought myself a small O'Reilly "livre de poche" that holds alot of major commands for the terminal...
I hope i'll improve fast enough, cause i want to migrate completly from MS to Linux. Now france has been editing new laws against piracy and if i get cought with pirated stuff its gonna hurt (knowing thar 99% of my apps are piracy)

#10 February 10 2005

mezin

can any1 help i got a double DVD SUSE linux pro v. 9.1 .. what is that ? can i start from it ?

#11 February 10 2005

karim soubra

i saw the latest mandrake in my cd shop
it looks inttresting

#12 April 6 2005

rolf

I like Fedora linux (that's the new name for the free redhat linux - redhat has now become commercial).
I think it's one of the most well-known distros.
It usually works fine out of the box

#13 June 21 2005

farrooda

yes guys I use fedora core 3 and its quite cool.
They have released fedora core 4 but I haven tested it yet.

Board footer