LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 August 26 2011

MichelG

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

I believe Wise, Wigo & Mobi will all be phased out as part of the Telecom's push for 3G (while the rest of world upgrades to 4G/LTE).

And as The-MMMs put it:

[They are] more interested in personal gain

#52 August 26 2011

samer
Admin

Guys, a quick reminder: this topic is reserved only for questions and answers. Other posts will be deleted to keep the information easily accessible.

#53 August 26 2011

ILIA_93

The-MMMs wrote:

Ogero are more interested in personal gain and quality of their connections. Give people their double speed and unlimited night and bye-bye QoS

Exactly, that's why I'm with Ogero now.
4449f.jpg

But with the new speeds, I'll switch to anyone with unlimited plans.

#54 August 26 2011

xterm

I hope Ogero never gives unlimited, I don't want my network to get congested by all the "I d0wnl0ads internets" users.

#55 August 26 2011

m0ei

Anyone can confirm if the 2mb package will have unlimited download and double speed at night ? Private ISPs ofcorse.

#56 August 26 2011

kdawg4.956

m0ei wrote:

Anyone can confirm if the 2mb package will have unlimited download and double speed at night ? Private ISPs ofcorse.

I called terranet, even though i am not a terranet user, and they told me that they are going to keep them after the upgrade

#57 August 26 2011

vic

Do we have any idea about the latency difference with the new routes/connections?

Will ogero still be the only ISP worth having if you want to game online?

#58 August 26 2011

xazbrat

There are rumors going around that Ogero users will see an improvement starting on the 1st (of September)--does anyone have any sources to link to?

#59 August 26 2011

ILIA_93

xazbrat wrote:

There are rumors going around that Ogero users will see an improvement starting on the 1st (of September)--does anyone have any sources to link to?

There's only 1 major improvement considering Ogero service, is that the modem lock on the Internet before my PC starts up. I mean like no time, while before it will take a minimum of 15mins so I'm able to start browsing.

The guy in the support, told me that just when the new law is in the official gazette, it will take only 1 week so the new speeds are delivered.

#60 August 26 2011

Kareem

ILIA_93 wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

There's only 1 major improvement considering Ogero service, is that the modem lock on the Internet before my PC starts up. I mean like no time, while before it will take a minimum of 15mins so I'm able to start browsing.

The guy in the support, told me that just when the new law is in the official gazette, it will take only 1 week so the new speeds are delivered.

That lock issue has been solved since 3 months ( at least in my case )

Now the question is... Are we gonna have our upgrade or are we gonna have reduced rate ?

Say if I have a 1mbps connection now and paying 115,000LL excluding VAT, will the new connection bandwith be automatically upgraded to 4mbps along with the quota or the price iwill automatically drop to 34,000LL ?

because in the 2nd case, I will have to get the last bill and take my dad to sign some papers at Ogero etc... and then wait for the other month to get the bandwidth upgrade...

#61 August 27 2011

ILIA_93

Kareem wrote:

Now the question is... Are we gonna have our upgrade or are we gonna have reduced rate ?

Say if I have a 1mbps connection now and paying 115,000LL excluding VAT, will the new connection bandwith be automatically upgraded to 4mbps along with the quota or the price iwill automatically drop to 34,000LL ?

because in the 2nd case, I will have to get the last bill and take my dad to sign some papers at Ogero etc... and then wait for the other month to get the bandwidth upgrade...

If in your area the new speed is available ( which is 4Mbps in your case ), you'll be upgraded to it, if you can't get it, you'll get maximum speed available with more quota. They wont give you 1Mbps for less money, you'll pay the same for higher speed.

#62 August 27 2011

belal

Kareem wrote:

Kareem, you do not need your dad to go and upgrade it. You, as his son, can do it. I've done it many times. (besides, you can get a copy of the last bill from the central office)

#63 August 27 2011

rtp

1 MB Connection = 100 KB Download Speed ?

#64 August 27 2011

Nemesis-301

bluewolf wrote:

1 MB Connection = 100 KB Download Speed ?

1 mb/8 = 125kb download speed

#65 August 27 2011

amkahal

1024 / 8 = 128 KBps :)

Last edited by amkahal (August 27 2011)

#66 August 27 2011

ILIA_93

Just remember this is Up to 1Mbps, which just like now I'm getting 24KB/s max with 256Kbps, we'll get 100~110KB/s with 1Mbps

#67 August 27 2011

Kareem

belal wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Kareem, you do not need your dad to go and upgrade it. You, as his son, can do it. I've done it many times. (besides, you can get a copy of the last bill from the central office)

I wish this was the case but couple of times I went there and they said ( at Bir hassan )  " El ishtirak bi ism bayyak lezim yejeh "

For people asking about the 1mpbs , In my case I only get 908kbps and download rate is somewhere near 110KB/s best case.

@ 4mbps I think we only get 3.5Mbps-3.6Mbps if we are lucky and our line supports that speed.

#68 August 27 2011

bigjudge

whatever happened to these prices? will they be implemented?
ISP = Terranet.

internet-rates-lebanon-prices-pricing-ogero.jpg

#69 August 28 2011

TJT4Ever

I'm an idm user i have 128Kbps speed when i wanted to upgrade to 256Kbps they told me that my line doesn't support this speed so after the new decree will be applied will the speed stay the same or will they upgrade my line or put something like a repeater?

#70 August 28 2011

amkahal

@bigjudge: the first table describes how Ogero will sell ADSL connections to private sector, and those are not the prices for the end users.

#71 August 29 2011

hussam

Will it take non-DSL providers like VISP longer to recieve the new connection than DSL providers?

#72 August 30 2011

FuSe

xterm wrote:

I hope Ogero never gives unlimited, I don't want my network to get congested by all the "I d0wnl0ads internets" users.

hmm one question, as far as I know, DSL connection is not affected by the number of users around you, it is affected by the distance from the ISP and your place.

I am with you that Ogero doesn't give unlimited, but can you explain please how does more downloaders affect the speed?

#73 August 30 2011

hussam

FuSe, 10GBits/second isn't much to be honest at Mbits/second. Users will eat it quickly if you give them unlimited. No constrains => people can download 24/7 => networks get congested again.

Last edited by hussam (August 30 2011)

#74 August 30 2011

ali_m3

hi all,

i dont know if any1 touched this before but do u guys think that we will see latency improvement with the new dsl connections?

i currently have ogero 512 package,  playin black ops, my ping ranges between 150ms - 200ms...playable...but of course anything below 100ms is awesome...however lately, i am havin difficulty playin as the ping gets really unstable...sometimes just goes up to over a sec before coming back to normal. i have tried everything to resolve this (changed modem, changed lines, changed filters..no luck)...really ruins your gaming experience...so do u guys think this will be improved?

thanks

#75 August 30 2011

battikh

The backbone is being converted to fiber, it should bring latency improvements.

Board footer