LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 28 2005

recon1025

Importing computer hardware to .lb

Hi,

This has been an issue in lebanon from the days of the civil war up until now. Why is it so hard to have items imported into lebanon? I'm talking from ebay and major u.s companies. I would really hope to see this working out in lebanon. I cant imagine having to pay 3x what an item really cost because importing is a big deal in lebanon. Can anyone clarify why importing items into lebanon is so difficult?

Thank you.

#2 March 2 2005

Charly

Re: Importing computer hardware to .lb

hey,
i guess u have misunderstood the stuation in lebanon... a large percentage of the items sold here in lebanon are imported, but the custom taxes on the imported brands are sometimes even more than the price of the product itself  ... IMO, thats the thing.....

#3 March 3 2005

samer
Admin

ditto to what charly said .. the custom taxes are making the products very expensive.

#4 March 3 2005

karim soubra

i don't think it is always a customs taxes problem
thre dealers sometimes want to sell the product a couple of folds of its original price
plus there is the fact that a product with time gets cheaper because of new technology this does not apply to lebaneese merchants and dealers

#5 March 3 2005

recon1025

Well thanks for clearing that up. Why is it that the tax for an imported item is so high? Are there any plans to decrease the tax? Any way around the system? "wasta"?

#6 March 3 2005

Charly

decreasing the tax? well.... it's close to impossible... if we wanna talk abt the reason of the high tax, we must talk abt it in a political way, which i guess samer has forbid us to do

#7 March 4 2005

samer
Admin

hehe, just try to be as objective as you can

#8 March 4 2005

Charly

i'll try being objective, np...
the government realized that it's gaining more money through imported brands, since it supplies an extra custom tax, that goes str8 to the goverment... thats y u dont find a lot of "Made In Lebanon" products, coz they wont gain as much money as from imported brands... so they increased the tax, so the government due debt will be closed quickly...

i tried being as objective as i can

#9 April 8 2005

rolf

A lot of items are overexpensive here, especially cameras.
But if you're talking about computer parts, the prices here are comparable to those of europe, so it's not that bad. You can see the prices here
www.pcandparts.com
If I bargain with my usual parts reseller, I can even have lower prices.
Of course, that's not the prices they have in canada and the US. Forget it, it's a whole different world over there.
If you want to order items online from sites that do not ship outside the US, check MBE's service:
http://www.eshop-lebanon.com/
You ship to their address in the US, and they forward it to lebanon.
You can also use their credit card, since american e-commerce sites usually do not accept to send the shipment to an address other than the one on the credit card.

Board footer