LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 2 2010

xterm

Web Designers - Why can't i find any?

Discuss.

#2 August 2 2010

Kassem

Re: Web Designers - Why can't i find any?

Simple. Because Web Design should be a major on its own, but unfortunately, it's not the case in Lebanon. They teach web design as part of the Graphic Design major which mostly covers print design including brand identity, logo design, brochures... etc.

Last edited by Kassem (August 2 2010)

#3 August 2 2010

Joe

coz it's the most boring job on earth

#4 August 2 2010

Kassem

rahmu wrote:

coz it's the most boring job on earth

What about accounting?!

#5 August 2 2010

Joe

Ha! You win ^^

#6 August 2 2010

rolf

Define web designers. Myself I am good at HTML/CSS (and Javasctipt, to some extent) and if possible I would do all my work in there, and avoid PHP and databases. Unfortunately customers always ask for dynamic, updateable stuff.
My cousin is a designer by formation, with a specialization in multimedia (flash mostly, but he even took a PHP course). He's pretty good.
Otherwise, I know a graphic designer who does pretty well in web... And I think most graphic designers can be made into web designers with a little formation.
But I never expected the graphic artist to be a good coder too. Usually I separate these in my head.

#7 August 2 2010

xterm

A web designer is someone with the artistic touch of a graphic designer with more emphasis on the technological part of the web in terms of front-end.

#8 August 2 2010

Kassem

xterm wrote:

a graphic designer with more emphasis on the technological part of the web in terms of front-end.

That's very important. Unfortunately, most web designers come from a graphic design background with no HTML/CSS experience at all. They end up giving you very good looking PSD's that are almost impossible to translate into mark-up.

#9 August 2 2010

rolf

True :) but again I know some exceptions, and the other option is also to hire a graphic designer and "educate" him/her.
I don't see this as a major issue, not for me.
If someone needs contacts, I'll be glad to share them!

#10 August 4 2010

ChickenExpress

Not worthy of a new thread but what I'm interested in is why is Lebanon obsessed with flash websites?

#11 August 4 2010

xterm

ChickenExpress wrote:

Not worthy of a new thread but what I'm interested in is why is Lebanon obsessed with flash websites?

Because they're flashy, and the cost of building flash powered websites is low.

#12 August 4 2010

ChickenExpress

I can understand cost being an issue, I guess. I just hate stumbling upon websites that look half-assed, broken and extremely out of date. The forced music that starts automatically doesn't help either.

It also boggles my mind how a nation with many bandwidth issues doesn't avoid flash like the plague.

Last edited by ChickenExpress (August 4 2010)

#13 August 4 2010

samer
Admin

ChickenExpress wrote:

I can understand cost being an issue, I guess. I just hate stumbling upon websites that look half-assed, broken and extremely out of date. The forced music that starts automatically doesn't help either.

It also boggles my mind how a nation with many bandwidth issues doesn't avoid flash like the plague.

I think it's because clients actually ask for that. Yes, it's a whole culture now and they think the flashier the better. You have to convince them that they have to avoid flash unless they really need it. Flash is great for some applications, poorer for some others – let's not get into flash vs html5 all over again, it's not the purpose of this topic.

#14 August 4 2010

Ayman

samer wrote:
ChickenExpress wrote:

I think it's because clients actually ask for that. Yes, it's a whole culture now and they think the flashier the better. You have to convince them that they have to avoid flash unless they really need it. Flash is great for some applications, poorer for some others – let's not get into flash vs html5 all over again, it's not the purpose of this topic.

The problem is that some don't even know what flash is and if they do, they don't understand it's pros and cons easily, they just want something flashy, animated and with music like just another site they show you and it would be using flash.

#15 September 6 2010

kasm

hay.. If you learned design in the universities. And you think you have become designers. I advise you to think again

#16 October 28 2010

MrClass

I guess web designers is a real painful job. There is nothing more painful than sitting with a client and discussing website colors. Then next week, the client changes his/her mind about the colors. Then you have to redo your work again. The main problem lies with the "redo your work" part. Designing causes headaches, I'll stick with the development part.

#17 April 12 2011

ramiraz

You need to get out more (or search in the right places)

Last edited by ramiraz (April 12 2011)

#18 April 12 2011

Kassem

I am currently working with probably the best web designer in Lebanon (yes, he is that good). The design he sent me is extremely elegant. He did a great job to ensure a very smooth user experience. And the best part is that he's very proficient with HTML/CSS and jQuery, plus he's a PHP expert.

#19 April 12 2011

xterm

ramiraz wrote:

You need to get out more (or search in the right places)

I presume this is a joke, otherwise you either do not know the role of a web designer or you know of a gold mine where those rare beings can get harvested.

#20 April 13 2011

XhacK

Kassem wrote:

I am currently working with probably the best web designer in Lebanon (yes, he is that good). The design he sent me is extremely elegant. He did a great job to ensure a very smooth user experience. And the best part is that he's very proficient with HTML/CSS and jQuery, plus he's a PHP expert.

I would love to see some of this guy's work!

#21 April 13 2011

samer
Admin

Kassem wrote:

I'll be interested in seeing his work as well!

#22 April 13 2011

Kassem

You guys will see it once the project is done :) But I take back my words when I said "the best", because he says he actually has a "mentor" who is also a web designer. He says he learned almost everything from her. And he actually likes to consult her about stuff. So if he's not best, he's probably the second best... probably.

You may ask why I even mentioned the guy... Simply because, just like most really good web designers/developers/programmers...etc he refuses to work for an agency because he believes that salaries are too lousy in Lebanon and do not justify being bossed around by a manager who might not even appreciate his skills. To be honest, I feel just like he does. I prefer freedom if I'd be making $200/month less if I am my own boss. But, I would still like to get a job at some agency that would help me work on some kick ass projects and get more experienced. I've been freelancing for quiet some time now, and I would say this is the first project that was a huge challenge to my programming & system analysis/project management skills. I like that, but I'm afraid I might end up getting stuck with small projects that are not very interesting.

#23 April 14 2011

XhacK

Kassem wrote:

You guys will see it once the project is done :) But I take back my words when I said "the best", because he says he actually has a "mentor" who is also a web designer. He says he learned almost everything from her. And he actually likes to consult her about stuff. So if he's not best, he's probably the second best... probably.

Even better! If he's a freelancer, then definitely he has an online portfolio!

I don't think he would mind sharing it with us! also sharing his "mentor"'s portfolio won't hurt!

#24 April 14 2011

rolf

ChickenExpress wrote:

Well I think it allows "developers" (emphasis on the quotation marks) to charge more for websites, and customers with little web exposure and knowledge (the type that is likely to send you ALL CAPS emails because they did not figure out how to turn off caps lock) often ask for it and are impressed with the bling bling and moving stuff, because when you spend little time on computers and only look at things rapidly and superficially this is what will stick.

Board footer