LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 28 2010

Kassem

Bring Down IE6

Hey guys,

I believe that's a great cause to support...
LINK

#2 October 28 2010

MrClass

Re: Bring Down IE6

Can we bring down the IE series itself down?  Seriously IE (whether its 6, 7, 8, 9 whatever) is a pain in the ass for web developers (IE can cause headaches when it comes to CSS). ALL other browsers render similarly, so why cant IE do the same?

Anyway, IE6 is being blocked by many famous sites like youtube, facebook, flickr. So pretty much those who dont update their browser will be forced to.

#3 October 28 2010

Kassem

MrClass wrote:

Can we bring down the IE series itself down?  Seriously IE (whether its 6, 7, 8, 9 whatever) is a pain in the ass for web developers (IE can cause headaches when it comes to CSS). ALL other browsers render similarly, so why cant IE do the same?

Yup, I wish the whole IE series would be taken down as well :) But I've heard that IE9 will abide by standards and that's a good thing. Most common users have windows installed on their machine and they also have Automatic Updates (because they do not know how to turn it off anyway ). Once IE9 becomes stable enough to be released as a Windows Updates, it will be installed silently on the users' computers. Other users who are more involved with computers and technology are definitely not using IE anyway. My personal preference is Google Chrome.

#4 October 28 2010

rolf

IE8 is not so bad, with the proper Doctype set.

#5 October 28 2010

Joe

The leader of the campaign against IE6 is ... Microsoft. They claimed many times that it is their objective now to have users ditch IE6.

:-)

#6 October 28 2010

Kassem

rahmu wrote:

The leader of the campaign against IE6 is ... Microsoft. They claimed many times that it is their objective now to have users ditch IE6.

:-)

Then God bless them :)

rolf wrote:

IE8 is not so bad, with the proper Doctype set.

That's actually true. I used to get nearly identical results (CSS) to Firefox and Chrome on IE8. The difference was in the JavaScript. Sometimes you have to write different code for IE.

#7 October 29 2010

MrClass

Yes IE8 is much better than IE7, but still cannot beat Firefox nor Chrome. My usual preference: Firefox for life!

Board footer