LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 17 2010

rolf

Professional design with... Frontpage?

Maybe I'm just yesterday, but I was looking at a website done by these people:

http://www.cleartag.com/blog/

If you take click "Web Design" on the right - on the company page, you will see some big customers (in the local scope that is), and some diagrams, and other very smart and over my head stuff from these smart people.

So I am looking at a the HTML for a website that they did for a small customer of theirs...
I had already seen some cheap stuff in that website, including distorted thumbnails, encoding problems, inconstant fonts.. but I really didnt expect to see this!

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 3.0">

I guess you dont always get what you pay for.

#2 August 17 2010

samer
Admin

Re: Professional design with... Frontpage?

I know a bright person who used to work with them on their UX stuff, he's now working for Google. That is to say, I feel their personnel are not complete idiots, but the company definitely doesn't give enough attention to their own image on the web, which is kind of ironic as they label themselves as a web consultancy i.e., a company that should advise others to make the right choice (using FrontPage is clearly a bad choice).

#3 August 18 2010

al_jamal

i dont use it, but the latest version of frontpage were not as bad as before.... but theres defenitely much better editors to use hehe

#4 August 18 2010

xterm

We cannot judge an entire company based on a single website they've created. The site you've checked might be relatively old, perhaps dated way back to when the company was founded. IDEs and Tools were and still are rather popular in web design companies, perhaps when they created the site they were building the design with frontpage or perhaps they took the starter template from frontpage and then made modifications later on. There are several reasons as to why this could've happened.

Web development and design is all about evolution, table layouts were incredibly popular back in the day and less so today. Would i judge a company today that created a website long ago using table layouts just because they have it in their portfolio?

Clients don't really care about how things were done, so long as they are done.

P.S.: I am not defending them, in fact i dislike most of the websites that they've created.

Last edited by xterm (August 18 2010)

#5 August 18 2010

al_jamal

Do you have some links of websites they built?

#6 September 6 2010

kasm

rolf wrote:

Maybe I'm just yesterday, but I was looking at a website done by these people:

http://www.cleartag.com/blog/

If you take click "Web Design" on the right - on the company page, you will see some big customers (in the local scope that is), and some diagrams, and other very smart and over my head stuff from these smart people.

So I am looking at a the HTML for a website that they did for a small customer of theirs...
I had already seen some cheap stuff in that website, including distorted thumbnails, encoding problems, inconstant fonts.. but I really didnt expect to see this!

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 3.0">

I guess you dont always get what you pay for.

I prefer to use adobe program in designing website especially Dreamweaver and golive
you know my friend adobe have almost every tool you needs to creat your web like photoshop ,illustrator ,...
and they can link to gether in dreamweaver and golive

#7 October 28 2010

MrClass

If you're working with PHP, nothing beats Zend Developer Professional. It is simply the best editor for PHP

#8 October 28 2010

rolf

al_jamal wrote:

Do you have some links of websites they built?

Here it is:
http://hq2.cleartag.com/AnaCorbero/

This website was not released, as work on it was halted. But you can see in the source that it is done with Frontpage, inline CSS,  you name it... plus there are encoding errors, distorted thumbnails, inconsistent design...

@xterm: You're right, you can't judge a whole company by one website they did. That's not what I'm trying to do, anyway.

I had to redo it myself, adding to it a back-end for dynamic content :)
But the owner wants to update the content before publishing it, so I'd rather wait for it to be published before sharing the link here.

Last edited by rolf (October 28 2010)

Board footer