LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 14 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

[solved] Correct rendering on IE

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on my website but it seems it works pretty good on Firefox and not so good on internet explorer, I'm using Joomla.
Does anyone have any idea what to do? do I have to use !important code on my CSS?

#2 September 14 2010

rolf

Re: [solved] Correct rendering on IE

First, you need to make sure that IE (what version??) is in "Standards Mode". I don't have much time to go into that right now, but if you have IE8, then download the developer toolbar from Microsoft, and you'll see at the bottom of your IE browser what mode the browser is in, and will be able to switch it manually into "IE8 Standards Mode", in which mode it should behave like Firefox mostly.
To have IE8 load your page in Standards mode, you will need to have the right Doctype, and there are also proprietary meta tags that can help.
I'll get into that a bit later tonight. For now you can just try the setting I use myself, without going into to much stuff. Try this doctype:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

and insert that somewhere in your head section:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" /> <!-- IE 8 -->

#3 September 14 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

wow i take back what i said  , i will surely try it right away , thanks again :)

#4 September 14 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

hmm i tried it opening my website on standard mode it seems it kept the same problem :(

#5 September 14 2010

mrmat

That's one of the problem you'll face when designing cross-browser websites. IE has got a mind of its own, it sometimes renders the box model slightly different than other browsers, which causes your website to look shitty on it.

You can use html conditions to write ie style fixes.

<!--[if IE]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="ie-style.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
<![endif]-->

#6 September 14 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

thx mrmat i will try it

#7 September 14 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

nope ive added the code into my template.css nothing changed :|

#8 September 14 2010

mrmat

nope ive added the code into my template.css nothing changed :|

I think you've got me wrong. The code must be added inside the html head tag, and the "ie-style.css", is a stylesheet that you must write to fix any IE glitches.

#9 September 14 2010

rolf

That stylesheet will be executed only in IE browsers. You can further fine tune it using by IE version, if you want.
You can also include a stylesheet for all other (non-IE) browser by declaring it between <comment> tags. The contents of a <comment> section are skipped by IE only.
But the best would be to re-do whatever you were trying to do in another way that is more browser compatible.
"!important" should be used if you suspect that some CSS rule is being overridden by another rule earlier in the stylesheet (or later too...?). Rules which are !important will take priority over other rules.
Also make sure you didn't include the "title" attribute in the link tag of your stylesheet. The title attribute triggers some weird feature that I don't really care to understand, I only know it caused me several hours of frustration once.

#10 September 14 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

haha thanks guys for your help , your going to laugh about his

heres the conclusion of this problem internet explorer doesnt support the color i was using bahahha thats why if you revisit my website on firefox and ie you will notice i have changed the colors and now everything is back to normal but not the footers at the bottom because i didnt change them , but really thats epic from microsoft haha
another justification vist the rules menu from each browsers youll get it :,)

thanks rolf and mrmat :)

Board footer