LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 13 2010

edgelord101

Your thoughts on my new PC?

I've already talked to pcandparts.com and they've offered to keep these items on hold until I return to Lebanon and buy it in 3 weeks. I still have time to change the parts, so I'd appreciate all your opinions.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (b4-8)
CPU: 2.80 GHz - i7-930 (p4-i78) <------ I plan on OCing that to 4.0Ghz.
Memory: 3 x Kingston DDR3-1333 (2GB) (2-k6)
HDD: 500GB 7200RPM S-ATAII 16MB (hw-74)
CD/DVD Drive: LG GH22NS40-22X DVDRW - Dual Layer SATA Black (d-v2)
PSU: Gigabyte Pro Odin 800W PSU (z-10)
CPU Cooler: ThermalTake CL-P0523 V14AX Clip LGA1366 (z-46)
VGA: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 (I play at 1280x1024 w/o AA, so nothing fancy needed)
Case: ThermalTake VD1000BNS Aguila Black

Finally, which 64-bit Windows 7 version would you recommend?

Last edited by edgelord101 (August 14 2010)

#2 August 13 2010

Flakk

Re: Your thoughts on my new PC?

Very good choice of parts, its gonna be kickass.

What screen size do you have ? That GTX260 can still crank up max settings on 1680x1050 res and above you dont have to worry about that.

As for windows versions if you can pay for Windows 7 Ultimate go for it, other than that go for premium 64bit edition.

And well mabrouk, happy gaming

#3 August 13 2010

MegaCool

sweet system, but with these specs I recommend an HD monitor with a higher resolution outputs like 1080p, you seem to have a crt monitor,
The graphic card is great so is the cpu, you wont have problems maximizing most of this current gen games..
About Windows 7 the ultimate edition is good, and you can always go for ubuntu, afterall its free

#4 August 13 2010

edgelord101

Flakk wrote:

Very good choice of parts, its gonna be kickass.

What screen size do you have ? That GTX260 can still crank up max settings on 1680x1050 res and above you dont have to worry about that.

As for windows versions if you can pay for Windows 7 Ultimate go for it, other than that go for premium 64bit edition.

And well mabrouk, happy gaming

I have a 16-inch screen and that's my maximum resolution. So far it isn't really a problem. I might invest in a larger screen if money comes my way in the near future.

I really doubt I can get Windows 7 Ultimate because it's around $200 dollars and pcandparts' 10% VAT on my total doesn't really make things easy, hehe.

But thanks for your input!

#5 August 13 2010

edgelord101

MegaCool wrote:

sweet system, but with these specs I recommend an HD monitor with a higher resolution outputs like 1080p, you seem to have a crt monitor,
The graphic card is great so is the cpu, you wont have problems maximizing most of this current gen games..
About Windows 7 the ultimate edition is good, and you can always go for ubuntu, afterall its free

I'd love and HD monitor. There's no reason why I shouldn't get one when I have the cash for it but I definitely can't afford it at the same time I buy the actual tower.

And I think I'll stick with Windows for now. I tried Linux before and it was good but it's no doubt that Windows is the safer bet in terms of universability. But I guess there's no harm in dual-booting....

But thanks for your advice.

#6 August 14 2010

mezin

Am I missing smthng here ? Lebanon ? Pay for Windows ??? Are we pirate free now ?

#7 August 14 2010

abouldoun

Hi. Concerning your PC Build allow me to give some suggestions:
1- Concerning your RAMs it's preferable to go with 6GBs since the i7s work on a triple channel architecture.
    So if you install 8GBs you'll be forcing you RAMs into a dual channel configuration and lose some performance.
2- Your PSU is way overkill for your setup. A good quality 600W would be more than enough (even if you plan on OCing to 4GHz).

#8 August 14 2010

rolf

With money spared on PSU you could maybe get yourself a 22" widescreen LCD. I don't think you'll regret it.

#9 August 14 2010

abouldoun

Sorry for the double post but I pressed "shift+enter" by Mistake.
3- If I were you, I would get a Radeon 5770 (preferably a Sapphire one) instead of the GTX 260. Same performance, less heat and less noise (also cost less on pcandparts!!!). You also get the the benefit of a DirectX 11 ready graphic card for DirectX 11 supported games!

4- On a final note, if you plan mainly on gaming with your PC then an i7 is also overkill for you. If gaming is your main priority then i5 750 + P55 motherboard is what you should go for: same performance in games and it will cost you less.
An i7 930 cpu + GA-X58A-UD3R mobo+ 6GBs rams will cost u around 900$ at pcandparts (VAT included)
while
An i5 750 cpu + GA-P55A-UD3 mobo + 4GBS rams will cost u around 600$ at pcandparts (VAT included)

Basically you spare 300$ and get the same (and I mean exactly the same) performance in games with any graphic card you plan on adding!!! So with the 300$ you spare you could get a decent 24" screen.
Sorry for the long post,

#10 August 14 2010

rolf

abouldoun wrote:

Sorry for the long post,

I don't think you have anything to apologize for :)

#11 August 14 2010

BashLogic

i would change the mobo to another brand, the gigabyte are prone to fail.
in addition, the 800w power supply is an overkill.
the processor could be changed to an I5 instead, there isnt really much to gain with an I7.
as for the ram, 4-6gb is enough unless you have specific needs.
in regards to the OS, win7x64 premium or pro is enough, the ultimate doesnt really give value for money. personally im using the pro x64 version.

#12 August 14 2010

abouldoun

rolf wrote:
abouldoun wrote:

Sorry for the long post,

I don't think you have anything to apologize for :)

Thanks.
Just thought I could help :)

#13 August 14 2010

edgelord101

Alright. Several members were talking about the CPU I had chosen and how it was overkill. Maybe you're right about the PSU being overkill, but the CPU isn't because I do plan on keeping this mobo for a long time (at least 5 years). That's why I got the LGA 1336. That way I can install a six-core CPU when I can afford one without changing the mobo. So the mobo is a must. And the CPU is the cheapest at pcandparts with an LGA of 1336, so both the mobo and CPU can't be changed.

And in response to the GPU change, I already own the GTX 260. I'm pulling it out of my old build, so it's all I've got.

As for the RAM issue, I suppose adding more RAM later if I needed it wouldn't hurt anyone. Maybe CS in university will demand it later. I guess I'll just add it at that time. So downgrading to 6GB RAM...

So now more money on the OS... Hmm... Do you guys know if Windows 7 Pro has Microsoft Office? I was contemplating getting Windows 7 Home Premium and then just downloading OpenOffice.org, but I've used OpenOffice.org before and it was glitchy and wasn't always compatible...

Thanks for the help and suggestions! Keep em' comin'!

#14 August 14 2010

edgelord101

unforgiven wrote:

Am I missing smthng here ? Lebanon ? Pay for Windows ??? Are we pirate free now ?

Hehehe. I know, I could get Windows 7 Ultimate for less than 2% of the price of it at pcandparts, but I'd rather play it safe and get an original copy. I remember having to be careful with my pirated copies of Windows on my old systems and having to do weird hacks whenever I wanted to install a Microsoft program that had a genuine check. I remember reading online somewhere that now in Windows 7 a System Restore does not remove the warnings you get when Microsoft finds out your version is fake. Damn that black screen! I want my desktop background!

#15 August 14 2010

Flakk

Keep the 800watt PSU its an overkill now, but there will be more demanding hardware in future.
And i recommend you buy an original copy of windows 7, less headaches and some more feats.

#16 August 16 2010

mezin

Tako_400 wrote:
unforgiven wrote:

Hehehe. I know, I could get Windows 7 Ultimate for less than 2% of the price of it at pcandparts, but I'd rather play it safe and get an original copy. I remember having to be careful with my pirated copies of Windows on my old systems and having to do weird hacks whenever I wanted to install a Microsoft program that had a genuine check. I remember reading online somewhere that now in Windows 7 a System Restore does not remove the warnings you get when Microsoft finds out your version is fake. Damn that black screen! I want my desktop background!

7loader + removewat ...

#17 August 16 2010

MrClass

Flakk wrote:

Keep the 800watt PSU its an overkill now, but there will be more demanding hardware in future.
And i recommend you buy an original copy of windows 7, less headaches and some more feats.

UUUh, 800watts is an overkill? I have 1200watts. If SLI or Crossfire is involved, 1000+ PSU is required

#18 August 16 2010

Flakk

MrClass wrote:
Flakk wrote:

UUUh, 800watts is an overkill? I have 1200watts. If SLI or Crossfire is involved, 1000+ PSU is required

Well excuse me i used the wrong word to describe it. But i mean that 800watt is enough for his new system right now. He does not have any SLI or Crossfire config!

Last edited by Flakk (August 16 2010)

Board footer