LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 2 2010

drbitar

ACER Travelmate 4020 Blue Screens of Death

I have an ACER Travelmate 4020 running winxp, blue screens of death started poping up for no apparent reason (no new installed hardware or software). Reinstalled windows, now on boot sometimes i get messages like no hardisk detectable or no operating system detectable, other times it boots normally. changed hard disk and memory did not solve the problem. Any suggestions? thx in advance.

Last edited by drbitar (August 2 2010)

#2 August 2 2010

Nemesis-301

Re: ACER Travelmate 4020 Blue Screens of Death

usually blue screens of death are caused by the ram, have you anytime heard a beeping sound coming from your computer just as you turned it on?

Last edited by Nemesis-301 (August 2 2010)

#3 August 2 2010

drbitar

Nemesis-301 wrote:

usually blue screens of death are caused by the ram, have you anytime heard a beeping sound coming from your computer just as you turned it on?

no beeping sounds on startup besides changed ram did not work

#4 August 2 2010

nuclearcat

Probably capacitors... or in PSU or on motherboard.
Or some other elements got unstable.

#5 August 4 2010

Flakk

BSOD's come from various problems, including overheating, unstable power consumption, newly installed hardware and software.
Are you having any overheating issues  ?
I suspect that the Motherboard is damaged.

I have encountered a similar problem last year while i was fixing an HP Laptop, the motherboard had micro-cracks (impossible to see cracks that occur due to overheating or maybe if the laptop took a strong hit or have fallen down on the floor) I was able to boot normaly at times but most of the time i get BSOD's or the lappy just shuts off byitself.  The mobo at this case is impossible to fix, i used to apply pressure with my hand on the board so it can boot...
I recommend you take it to a repair shop so they can check it out for you.

#6 August 4 2010

Nemesis-301

I had a blue screen of death problem, and it turned out to be from my keyboard, but mine is a desktop...

#7 August 5 2010

drbitar

Flakk wrote:

BSOD's come from various problems, including overheating, unstable power consumption, newly installed hardware and software.
Are you having any overheating issues  ?
I suspect that the Motherboard is damaged.

I have encountered a similar problem last year while i was fixing an HP Laptop, the motherboard had micro-cracks (impossible to see cracks that occur due to overheating or maybe if the laptop took a strong hit or have fallen down on the floor) I was able to boot normaly at times but most of the time i get BSOD's or the lappy just shuts off byitself.  The mobo at this case is impossible to fix, i used to apply pressure with my hand on the board so it can boot...
I recommend you take it to a repair shop so they can check it out for you.

thx Flakk, btw do you know any good repair shops in beirut?

Board footer