LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 10 2010

Bij

Nexus One, Google Phone

Hello everybody.

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried the Nexus One phone over here in Lebanon. I know it's not released but possibly someone bought it from the US or UK...
I checked its spec. sheet and it uses the same GSM bands as my current phone (Nokia E52), but just wanted to make sure before ordering it from the US (through a relative).

#2 February 10 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Re: Nexus One, Google Phone

Just a note nexus doesnt support arabic keyboard
for me ill wait for the iphone 4g ... And yes wap is working on the iphone using hacked files

#3 February 10 2010

xterm

A friend of mine is using it here in lebanon. I'm not impressed.

#4 February 10 2010

battikh

Aj_BlaZ wrote:

And yes wap is working on the iphone using hacked files

why would someone want wap? specially when you can get gprs for as little as 5$

#5 February 10 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

battikh wrote:
Aj_BlaZ wrote:

And yes wap is working on the iphone using hacked files

why would someone want wap? specially when you can get gprs for as little as 5$

battikh , am i missing something , i pay dollars or untis to recharge my sim card and if you want gprs you need to have a fixed number and thats something i can't do it ....

#6 February 10 2010

battikh

^^ hmm, sorry, my bad... i don't live in lebanon so i don't really know the requirements for the services...

#7 February 10 2010

rolf

Having WAP or even GPRS on an iPhone is like driving a ferrari on a dirt road. But dont we always do that in Lebanon.

#8 February 10 2010

battikh

the initial iPhone didn't have 3G. Driving a ferrari on a highway was like driving a ferrari on dirt, everywhere in the world, not just in lebanon (using an iPhone on 3G was like using an iPhone on edge), and edge is what you get in lebanon for the gprs. If the iPhone was designed to work on edge and nothing more, then you shouldn't suffer by using an iPhone 3G on lebanese edge.
using an iphone on 3g or on edge is EXACTLY the same thing and all the features were working fine with edge.

#9 February 10 2010

rolf

I never tested iPhone on GPRS, but I tested it on lebanese "broadband" ("512"), and its crap. What do you think WAP will feel like?

Last edited by rolf (February 10 2010)

#10 February 10 2010

battikh

i agree for wap, which was my initial point. but for edge in lebanon, used it on my bb, and it's VERY decent.

#11 February 10 2010

rolf

Okay :) I hope you're right!

#12 February 10 2010

BashLogic

gonna pickup my n900 today :) will see how much fun its going to be to hack it!... maybe i should setup a blog for that :)

#13 May 5 2010

mmoubarak

nexus one is a true laptop replacement..i had an iphone and i think the nexus beats the crap out of an iphone..got it and very happy with it..only problem is that it treats 111 as an emergency call and calls 112 instead :S that is hardwired and cant be changed...the feel is excellent..perfect camera..incredible screen..and apps made by google like gesture search and google sky are just unbeatable and free..some apps can never exist on an iphone such as ringdroid..multitasking is like magic...i say its a laptop replacement and not just an iphone replacement

#14 May 24 2010

jrobjr

Hi, I live in the US, but anticipate several visits to Lebanon in the near future.  Would you recommend a Nexus 1 for Leb?  If so, how would I go about getting Sim cards for about a month of use at a time?

#15 May 25 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

The 111 and 112 emergency number problem has been resolved with the new FW 2.2, just set your country as English - UK instead of US.
Nexus 1 is 100% compatible with Lebanese cell lines

#16 May 26 2010

practo

jrobjr wrote:

Hi, I live in the US, but anticipate several visits to Lebanon in the near future.  Would you recommend a Nexus 1 for Leb?  If so, how would I go about getting Sim cards for about a month of use at a time?

Nexus Ones come unlocked afaik, so all you need to do is buy a temporary prepaid card from any cell shop which usually last for a couple of weeks and they cost around $25 each.

This is just me trying to remember how I did it last year. Numbers could be inaccurate.

#17 July 19 2010

DavidMorgan

mmoubarak wrote:

nexus one is a true laptop replacement..i had an iphone and i think the nexus beats the crap out of an Budget Business IP Phone..got it and very happy with it..only problem is that it treats 111 as an emergency call and calls 112 instead :S that is hardwired and cant be changed...the feel is excellent..perfect camera..incredible screen..and apps made by google like gesture search and google sky are just unbeatable and free..some apps can never exist on an iphone such as ringdroid..multitasking is like magic...i say its a laptop replacement and not just an iphone replacement

Where is a good place to get a Nexus 1?

Last edited by DavidMorgan (August 7 2010)

#18 July 20 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

01/555545
It's the cheapest place for N1 in Lebanon but be aware it's not recommended at all for ''non arabs'' to go there,unless you want to be an hostage ;)

#19 July 21 2010

BashLogic

nexus 1 EOL

Board footer