LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 22 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

Oldest cellular network in the world?

We all know that 4 years later Lebanon still doesn't have 3G network knowing that 4G is beginning in the USA now.
But what is weirder is that Alfa is still using very old wap network for prepaid lines,so old that it doesn't work with new mobiles like iphone (unless zouz hack) or Android phones.
The Edge connection they are using with ''fixed'' lines is compatible but is very slow compared to 3G or even European Edge.
Why on earth they don't upgrade their network once and for all? When I was in Italy even the prepaid cheap cards (10 euros) have 3G.
Why don't they upgrade the wap connection to Edge on Alfa active cards and Edge to 3G on ''fixed'' lines?

#2 June 22 2010

Raficoo

Re: Oldest cellular network in the world?

duopoly Corrupted Government's monies loves moar steal Lebanon's to

change that to a sentence and you'll know why...

#3 June 22 2010

Flakk

mo money mo money mo money

#4 June 23 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

No money huh?
Go ask the last 2 ministers of telecoms from where they have build their villas!
Alfa and mtc have money to do it but they won't because the badasx actual system of telecom is changing mobile providers every 5 years so they don't want to invest on new 3G machinas and that the governement take them after for 1$ ;)
But what I am saying is that since 1999 we don't have any changes in the technologies not even shifting Alfa Active WAP to real EDGE , I am ready to give up 6$ instead of 3$ a month if they do it, but the stubb*rn Lebanese businessman are too lazy to think about it

#5 June 23 2010

ZuZ

This really has to do with the Broadband status of Lebanon..
Mobile Network providers will NOT provide 3G or even decent Edge as long as the internet in Lebanon sucks..

Providing 3G for mobile phones will only mean an increase in Internet bandwidth usage , which is unavailable..

Board footer