LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 9 2010

Kassem

SiteMaps and URLMapping in ASP.NET

Hey guys,

Over the past 2 weeks I've been watching some video training series about C#/.NET/Visual Studio 2008... etc. Today, I watched a chapter about navigation and the navigation API in ASP.NET. I really liked what it's capable of, and in particular its ability of URL Mapping. This is a very good trick for SEO and making the site user-friendly. Now to cut the long story short, I'm not sure whether I have to map all the URL's manually (including those which have query strings) or is there a way of automating the process... As you know, sometimes a database might contain hundreds or thousands of records, so doing this manually is not very efficient.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Kassem (May 9 2010)

#2 May 26 2010

jcybarns

Re: SiteMaps and URLMapping in ASP.NET

You are bang on target with that. The SIteMaps and URL Mapping does play a very important role and serves as a solution to a couple of basic requirements. The answer to you question will depend on how you are building the website and what are the major contents. This process can be automated as well as done manually, it depends what you require. To have it automated you will have to provide the exact settings that you require. You can have the information about this from any books that you use as a reference or even get a glimpse of it in the video you use for learning.

#3 May 26 2010

Kassem

Thanks for the input jcybarns. I prefer to have this process automated because I'll most likely be using it with a complex e-commerce system. Are you familiar with ASP.NET MVC? If so, isn't URL Mapping similar to the concept of routing in MVC?

#4 May 26 2010

xterm

routing in mvc takes it a step further with capturing and great validation.

Board footer