LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 23 2010

Ayman

I Wish I Can Get My Hands On One Of These...

Hello everyone, I have been considering lately to set up a small development and testing server at home, I have a limited space and I dont want to get a desktop PC with all the bundles it needs, I just want something like these:

1. The Beagle Board: This is an awesome piece of hardware, although not very suited for being a server but still ideal for projects where you may be setting up a POS machine that runs linux and has a touchscreen, and this is a relatively very cheap machine with specs that can be more than enough for some projects.

beagle.jpg

beagle-linux1.jpg

beagle-linux2.jpg

2. Sheeva Plug Dev Kit: Ideal for a small web development testing server for my case and the price tag makes it even more attractive($99).

ad1.jpg

3. Dikstation DS110
    DS110+.jpg

4. Tonido Plug: Similar to Sheeva Plug, packs a file sharing system, music server, photo gallery, torrent manager and more into a compact unit running Ubuntu 9.04

5. Acer Aspire Revo R3610

asrevo_spdif2_thumb.jpg?w=240&h=236

As long as I wont be able to find such awesome hardware for me to use, what I am thinking is just to buy some used netbook, install Linux on it and use it as my testing server at home. I already have a netbook(HP mini 110 running Ubuntu 9.10) but I want to still use it while on the go and keep it in my bag, so basically an Asus eee, acer aspire one or any netbook with 512 mb or more ram should be good for me. So please if you know where I can get my hands on a used netbook for a good price please tell me. As for you, if you wanted to set up a small home server and had space limitations what would you personally prefer to use?

Last edited by Ayman (May 23 2010)

#2 May 23 2010

J4D

Re: I Wish I Can Get My Hands On One Of These...

The chiva plug is good ! , have you investigated on the possibility and price of shipping one to Lebanon ?!

#3 May 23 2010

Ayman

The chiva plug is good ! , have you investigated on the possibility and price of shipping one to Lebanon ?!

Nope but still don't know how to ship it, how much time it would take and what company to contact, in addition, I am not sure about the security too.

#4 May 23 2010

J4D

There is a guy that imports parts , you just give him the Link , and he buys it and brings it here . bib2a bshiflak il mawdoo3

#5 May 23 2010

Padre

i have quite a few SBC if u want one

#6 May 23 2010

J4D

Padre wrote:

i have quite a few SBC if u want one

For how much ?! :)

#7 May 24 2010

Padre

really would depend on specs / size.
If u guys want, i can order a few for you. they aren't expensive.

Board footer