LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 28 2010

kareem_nasser

AMD's PhenomII X6 benchmarked

Why did they even bother:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6260474.ht … Btitle%3B2
Same results as the i7!!!

#2 April 28 2010

julien_saadeh

Re: AMD's PhenomII X6 benchmarked

I love AMDs because they are wayyy better than Intel when it comes to RAM/disk access. They are beasts. But I recommend them for desktops, not laptops.

#3 April 29 2010

kareem_nasser

becasue they are HOT on notebooks?

#4 April 29 2010

julien_saadeh

kareem_nasser wrote:

becasue they are HOT on notebooks?

Right.

#5 April 29 2010

Flakk

AMD was in the lead before the Core 2  and I7,I5,I3 series came out from intel.  The AMD athlon 64 were the best choice for gamers in 2004->2006. When The core 2 came out to the public it quickly became the standard in CPU performance for gaming.
The intel Pentium 4 series and Core Duo were by far the worst series they have done.

Amd are trying real hard now to get in the lead once again with their Phenom II CPU's.

#6 April 29 2010

kareem_nasser

All i know is that they are the worst on notebooks they are always on Fire.

#7 April 29 2010

julien_saadeh

Here in Lebanon we do not know anything about AMD. We always speak of Intel and its technologies.

Have you ever knew what are the sockets of AMD or which are the best CPUs? Or what are the chipsets that they use?

I know that Athlons are better in calculus, Turions for 3D and graphics, Phenoms for everything.
Semprons are actually Celerons .

#8 April 29 2010

rolf

AFAIK, AMD are usually a good deal, but not in Lebanon. Here intel has most of the market and AMD are (at least were last time I checked) overpriced. I think it is because of the volume of trade is much smaller for AMD so shipping and stocking costs are higher, and that gets passed down to the product.
Resellers also maybe like to increase the prices on AMD and high end graphics, as if they consider it as a luxury item. Which kinda is, if you visit other areas in Lebanon, maybe you will see what I mean :)

Flakk wrote:

AMD was in the lead before the Core 2  and I7,I5,I3 series came out from intel.  The AMD athlon 64 were the best choice for gamers in 2004->2006.

I think it was because of bad technological decisions at intel back then, basically intel investing on increasing GHZ. I remember reading an article that predicted the decline of intel and victory of AMD. That didnt happen, I guess AMD didnt fully take advantage of the lead they had back then. Or maybe they did, in a discrete and silent fashion.

Last edited by rolf (April 29 2010)

#9 April 29 2010

kareem_nasser

+1 @rolf the same thing told me one of the stores here that the AMD in Lebanon isnt the same which goes to USA(like All other Consumer Electronics we are third world countries, think refurbished notebooks)

Board footer