LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 25 2010

J4D

Meet Vario !

Meet Vario ! Not only does he look human , he is also a functioning circuit ! his head is an LED and turns on only when there is no light ! he has got a mind of his Own ! :) simple to make of course , but EXTREMELY Geeky :)
im thinking of giving this away to someone , hmm .

24567_10150182441915503_803185502_12314066_6349766_n.jpg

#2 April 25 2010

Georges

Re: Meet Vario !

Me

2005_07_21_shrek_cat.jpg

#3 April 25 2010

pikatore

give to your girlfriend. if not, give to a girl and if she has any decency, she will marry you.

fuck i wish i could make something like that...

#4 April 25 2010

Flakk

That looks awesome! I like the fact that you named him vario after the variable resistor

#5 April 25 2010

Ayman

Very nice and creative keep up the good work ;)

#6 April 25 2010

Kassem

me is impressed... did he learn to walk yet?

#7 April 25 2010

kareem_nasser

Awesome, impressive and cool you should work as a Sony Engineer.

#8 April 25 2010

Joe

**Lots of admirations**

Requests:
- Demo video
- Blog post
- Tutorial

#9 April 26 2010

Xsever

Can he reproduce?
I wonder how his kids would look like ?

#10 April 26 2010

J4D

Thanks guys :) Vario loves you too .

Requests:
- Demo video
- Blog post
- Tutorial

hopefully will be ready soon , with a complete how to .

I wonder how his kids would look like ?

i guess ill be creating a whole family of them 

other than that , im thinking of opening up a blog specifically for Vario(s) where i will be creating stories of them and such ... what do you think ?!

#11 April 26 2010

xterm

Sell it!

fingers.any().pointAt { user -> user.name == "rahmu" }.owner().bodyParts { part -> part.name == "mouth" }.invoke("laughter")

P.S.: Nicely done jad, as always.

Last edited by xterm (April 26 2010)

#12 April 26 2010

Kassem

jadberro wrote:

other than that , im thinking of opening up a blog specifically for Vario(s) where i will be creating stories of them and such ... what do you think ?!

In the marketing world, that would be a superb idea. Creating a personality for your product would appeal to consumers, eventually they'll be all over your stores. If you got serious about it, I guess there is a big chance of you becoming rich and famous, and I mean rich!

Last edited by Kassem (April 26 2010)

#13 April 26 2010

kareem_nasser

For Marketing i suggest giving it a more user-frinedly name like most LCD TV name Motion interpolation
as "Motion Flow"(Sony) and others even though "Motin" would be nice but for the avarage consumer which is the majority, to also satisfy techies when they ask about the name they'll think this is a humilation. But in general the name is good so it is your call.
It's useful not at houses but in more narrow areas like a car: you came from work at 9 pm and it will turn on after you turn off the car but at the same time it should include a switch(to turn on or off).

#14 April 26 2010

Kassem

Oh wait a minute... The only thing it does is light up in the dark? In that case I take back my last post lol. But hey, in case you upgrade it: give it some brains, make it able to move, do some sounds, give it a better look (packaging)... etc then yeah if I had money to invest, I'd definitely invest in such a project.

Your target audience would most likely be little kids (8-13 years old), but some geeks would also like it as well. This would be kind of a smart toy. With some marketing plans you can set yourself up to something big. I mean c'mon, if a stupid doll like Barbie was able to make someone rich, wouldn't Vario be able to do the same? :)

#15 April 26 2010

Padre

nice idea :) but where is the power source ?

#16 April 26 2010

rolf

Padre wrote:

I think the round belly is a battery.

#17 April 26 2010

crazy

Very nice indeed, it reminded me of "filament' the robot that helps "geo trouvetout" build stuff (its in picsou if you guys used to read it, and I don't know the name in english).

Nice work Jad

#18 April 26 2010

Joe

"filament' the robot that helps "geo trouvetout"

memories ...

#19 April 26 2010

Flakk

rolf wrote:
Padre wrote:

I think the round belly is a battery.

No. That is a variable resistor or Potentiometer.

crazy wrote:

Very nice indeed, it reminded me of "filament' the robot that helps "geo trouvetout" build stuff (its in picsou if you guys used to read it, and I don't know the name in english).

haha exactly what i was thinking! i used to read these when i was like 8. I remember that robot.
Scrooge mcduck was his name in english.

#20 April 26 2010

ballouta

it's really nice man. and very useful in Lebanon  good job man. open a company on your own after finishing university

#21 April 26 2010

Flakk

To anyone whos wondering about the components:

The head is of-course a LED. Under the LED is a transistor (supposed to be his neck i guess)
Under the transistor is the potentiometer. His arms are made of 2 (black) normal Diodes and his hands are made of two Zener diodes (in orange)
and his legs are made of two resistors.

Last edited by Flakk (April 26 2010)

#22 April 26 2010

J4D

video=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGInivQChDE

Thanks all ! 

this particular one will get hanged from the back mirror of my car :) ! to accompany my PCB etched name-tag !

when i get some free time im going to create ALOT of Varios and distribute them among friends and Lebgeeks !

Flakk , there is also a photo-transistor on its back as a light sensor .
at this time im not planning to market vario ! he is practically nothing , its something worth a souvenir or such :)

#23 April 26 2010

kareem_nasser

FaceBooked and Twittered. :)

Board footer