LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 April 25 2010

Kassem

Re: CSS Pissing Me Off!

pikatore wrote:

How did you do with my code snippet?

I will give it a try once I finish studying for my damn e-business exam. It looks right to me. Thanks alot,  appreciated

rolf wrote:

With the other solution being to turn my stylesheet into a giant riddle by using CSS hacks? In the case above I think there is nothing wrong with a 3 row table (of course, tested across browsers).
I know tables can get messy, but not in such a simple situation. For the rest of the layout, absolute positioning is the way to go.

I like that. I'll try to mess around with this setup. Maybe a base table layout and then absolutely positioned divs for stuff that do not fit inside the table.

rolf wrote:

PS: Kassem, maybe me or some others here should apply to this university, as teachers :)

I was thinking the same too lol. Actually, I had to give two lectures to my classmates so they would understand how HTML and CSS are used in the real world. Oh and by the way, my university is the Lebanese University. Most of the instructors are pretty good, but some of them are taking us through hell. Hopefully Dr. Lina would be good at System Analysis because I'll have to take her class next year.

#27 April 25 2010

pikatore

With the other solution being to turn my stylesheet into a giant riddle by using CSS hacks?

I don't think CSS hacks are really necessary for something as simple as this.

On a side note: people who complain about the 'hacky' nature of CSS are blowing it way out of proportion.

Sure, if you don't design your HTML with web standards in mind, you will probably have to face a mess of CSS hacks to satisfy all your browsers.

On that note, let me tell you how big a deal CSS hacking is, as a person who deals exclusively with HTML/CSS:

I rarely ever have to resort to CSS hacking because I do my best to stick to the XHTML standards. I only ever have done CSS tweaks for IE7 browsers, and that usually involves the tweaking of the coordinates for an absolutely/relatively positioned div.

I know it might hurt to hear it, but if CSS hacks become a problem for you, you need to re-evaluate the quality of your coding. The only legitimate excuse to use a CSS hack is for IE7 or older, and even that should be a minimal tweak.

#28 April 25 2010

rolf

pikatore wrote:

With the other solution being to turn my stylesheet into a giant riddle by using CSS hacks?

I don't think CSS hacks are really necessary for something as simple as this.

Last time I checked, none of us 3 had found a solution to the "simple" problem raised in the thread.
BTW, AFAIK I never used a CSS hack.

Anyway I think we both basically agree, DIVs is the way to go, all I'm saying is that a bit of tables here and there dont hurt.

(And yes, I know I said to use tables for layout, but can I take that back?)

Last edited by rolf (April 25 2010)

#29 April 26 2010

pikatore

rolf wrote:

Last time I checked, none of us 3 had found a solution to the "simple" problem raised in the thread..

I thought I did?

#30 April 26 2010

richy

Do you set the design by yourself? Or do you have a designer to work with you?

rolf wrote:
Kassem wrote:

Ok I submitted my assignment earlier today, but now I still want to know how to this trick. I might have to search for a website which does it and check the source code and the CSS.

Arent they giving you a correction? If your teacher came up with this problem, then there might very well be no solution to it using CSS.

pikatore wrote:

Rolf, I'm no CSS purist, but I highly advise against thinking that tables are some sort of quick fix. That kind of thinking will introduce you to a world of pain as things get more complex.

With the other solution being to turn my stylesheet into a giant riddle by using CSS hacks? In the case above I think there is nothing wrong with a 3 row table (of course, tested across browsers).
I know tables can get messy, but not in such a simple situation. For the rest of the layout, absolute positioning is the way to go.

Kassem wrote:

About what rolf and rahmu said above, what do you guys usually use to position stuff on your page? Is it tables or divs and CSS? What's recommended by the W3C? And lastly, in your own experience which method would you suggest?

I often have a box of contents to center on the page (for example, a login box or a fixed-width, fixed-height website). I use a full width, full height table to center that on the middle of the browser page, then use absolute CSS positioning to do the rest.

here is an example:
http://kitabat-lb.org

and here is an earlier website where I used tables for layout:
http://gametheorylebanon.com

As you can see, it works well, but it was only possible thanks to careful design, and I had to re-write the table halfway as it was getting unmanageable. If I had to do it again, I'd use DIVs with absolute positioning.

PS: Kassem, maybe me or some others here should apply to this university, as teachers :)

#31 April 26 2010

Kassem

Ok will give it a try and return back with the results.

EDIT: And still doesn't work...

@pikatore: the problem only happens when the content's size exceeds that of the browser. So we're back to point zero.

Last edited by Kassem (April 26 2010)

#32 April 26 2010

xterm

On a similar note: Love CSS layouts, don't hate it! http://www.blueprintcss.org/

#33 April 26 2010

rolf

richy wrote:

Do you set the design by yourself? Or do you have a designer to work with you?

rolf wrote:
Kassem wrote:

Ok I submitted my assignment earlier today, but now I still want to know how to this trick. I might have to search for a website which does it and check the source code and the CSS.

Arent they giving you a correction? If your teacher came up with this problem, then there might very well be no solution to it using CSS.

pikatore wrote:

Rolf, I'm no CSS purist, but I highly advise against thinking that tables are some sort of quick fix. That kind of thinking will introduce you to a world of pain as things get more complex.

Kassem wrote:

About what rolf and rahmu said above, what do you guys usually use to position stuff on your page? Is it tables or divs and CSS? What's recommended by the W3C? And lastly, in your own experience which method would you suggest?

I often have a box of contents to center on the page (for example, a login box or a fixed-width, fixed-height website). I use a full width, full height table to center that on the middle of the browser page, then use absolute CSS positioning to do the rest.

here is an example:
http://kitabat-lb.org

and here is an earlier website where I used tables for layout:
http://gametheorylebanon.com

As you can see, it works well, but it was only possible thanks to careful design, and I had to re-write the table halfway as it was getting unmanageable. If I had to do it again, I'd use DIVs with absolute positioning.

Depends, sometimes I do, sometimes there is a designer, sometimes I take a free template and tweak it a bit.
I usually try to avoid doing the design myself. In the 1st link I gave above, I implemented a PSD design from a designer. In the 2nd link, I downloaded a free template, tweaked it a bit, and got a designer to do the logo and the banner.

#34 April 26 2010

Kassem

xterm wrote:

On a similar note: Love CSS layouts, don't hate it! http://www.blueprintcss.org/

Yeah I've heard about this framework before, but I have a feeling it's only used for column based CSS layouts, no?

#35 April 26 2010

xterm

I'm not very familiar with it, so i cannot answer this question. Though one thing is for sure, it's not the *only* tool you would need to build a website but it gives you a head start.

#36 April 26 2010

richy

Thanks. I find it so hard to get a decent design done without a template or PSD file.

rolf wrote:

Depends, sometimes I do, sometimes there is a designer, sometimes I take a free template and tweak it a bit.
I usually try to avoid doing the design myself. In the 1st link I gave above, I implemented a PSD design from a designer. In the 2nd link, I downloaded a free template, tweaked it a bit, and got a designer to do the logo and the banner.

#37 April 26 2010

Kassem

Thanks to xterm, I finally found something useful to do all the tedious CSS work for me. Here's a very nice tutorial about the Blueprint CSS framework.

Click Here

#38 April 26 2010

xterm

Kassem wrote:

Thanks to xterm, I finally found something useful to do all the tedious CSS work for me. Here's a very nice tutorial about the Blueprint CSS framework.

Click Here

An alternative would be YUI btw.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/

#39 April 26 2010

pikatore

I stick fully behind you in the use of CSS Blueprint. Semantic 960 grid frameworks are great.

A word of warning however, you may find your creativity might drop when using the framework. It can cause your mind to get lazy, and actually change the general style of the sites you make, possibly for the worse.

I am VERY light in my use of the framework, but I always give myself loads of breathing room for creativity.

And once I get back on my main computer, I'll have a real hard look at the code for you!

Board footer