LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 3 2010

mtarakji

Damaged HDD ... Help !

Hey guys;

Last week, i bought a brand new Seagate 1 TB expansion Hard Drive ... unfortunately the second day, after loading it with 600 gb of precious data ...

I plugged the laptop's adapter in it zapping it with 19 volts instead of the 12 volts it needs ... and it stopped working, well i had 2 options ... either take it to the retailer and have them give me a new hdd and say good bye to my data or crack it open and try to fix it.

After opening it, i noticed the problem was not in the Enclosure but in the hard drive itself, and specifically in the PCB Board, it was burnt.

Do you guys know if there's any technician (kahrabje)  ... who can attempt to repair the PCB board ? or should i buy the same HDD and switch the boards ???

Thanks in advance

M.TARAKJI

#2 February 3 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Re: Damaged HDD ... Help !

in lebanon there isnt any that i know fixes hdds but maybe im wrong what u need to do is not buying anotherhdd u can simply take the hdd off and plug it with any compatible board can u give us a link that describes ur hdd maybe i could tell u what u really have to do

#3 February 3 2010

BashLogic

mtarakji wrote:

Hey guys;

Last week, i bought a brand new Seagate 1 TB expansion Hard Drive ... unfortunately the second day, after loading it with 600 gb of precious data ...

I plugged the laptop's adapter in it zapping it with 19 volts instead of the 12 volts it needs ... and it stopped working, well i had 2 options ... either take it to the retailer and have them give me a new hdd and say good bye to my data or crack it open and try to fix it.

After opening it, i noticed the problem was not in the Enclosure but in the hard drive itself, and specifically in the PCB Board, it was burnt.

Do you guys know if there's any technician (kahrabje)  ... who can attempt to repair the PCB board ? or should i buy the same HDD and switch the boards ???

Thanks in advance

M.TARAKJI

if you are quick and fast enough, you might be able to resolve this yourself.
what you need to do is to go to the same shop from where you bought your disk and buy and exact new one. you have to check that it is exact down to every single point, that is firmware, model, etc

what you do after that is that you replace your old hdd pcb with the one from the new disk and get on your knees and pray that the firmware microversion are identical for it to work.

should it work, you are lucky. should it not, tough luck unless youve got lots of $$$ to spare and use ibas services.

#4 February 3 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

he doesnt need to buy a new one the hdd inside the box isnt damaged only the power supply but i need to know the exxact product he have so i can help him

#5 February 3 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

hint :my method is the same as other people did by modifying their hdd of their xbox by replacing the chip of the hdd with a 250 gb or 320 gb ...

#6 February 3 2010

BashLogic

Aj_BlaZ wrote:

he doesnt need to buy a new one the hdd inside the box isnt damaged only the power supply but i need to know the exxact product he have so i can help him

what ever works,

from my experience, the boards are very firmware version specific. these minor firmware difference have a great role on whether you will be able to read the data or not. you might find another similar board that fits and spins but the data wont be necessarily readable and you would have to start with a clean low level format.

#7 February 3 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

it depends on whats really broken but if he can buy another one its perfect keep in mind the company release same product with same rom chip only the serial nb differs nothing inside

#8 February 3 2010

J4D

mtarakji , photograph the board and the (burn part of the board ) and send me both pics .

#9 February 3 2010

rolf

Use the search function of the forums. This thread has been posted several times before.
Basically, some people specialize into replacing the PCB board and they keep an inventory of PCB boards.
Usually, it is not a special technique, you need to unscrew a couple of screws, swap the board with one that is similar, and voila,  your HD works again, with all your data on it.
Since this is a new HD, I suggest you go where you bought it, and see if they can swap the board with one that works, so as to remove your data, if you pay them.
BTW, you will have to buy a new hard drive, I think. I never heard of anyone selling HD PCB boards :-)

PS: if you loaded your data from another hard disk, you may be able to recover it from there too, if you do not use that disk. There is a chance that part of it will be corrupted, but usually if you dont use the disk, or only use it minimally, you can recover the majority of deleted (or formatted) data.

PS2: Buy a mac, you cant plug its adapter in anything else in the world :). I cant believe these things still happen nowadays... anyway i'm sorry for you.

Last edited by rolf (February 3 2010)

#10 February 4 2010

mtarakji

Hello again :)

Its a Seagate barracuda7200.12 1TB

S/N : 6VP1NG1M

firmware : cc37, Data Code 10107 Site Code : SU

Ok jadberro i took a picture of the board while its attached on the hdd, i couldnt take it of as i dont have the required kind of screwdriver to take it out, and the burn trace is obviously on the other side of the board ... however, from the smell of the burn i located it to be on the circled part of the pic just next to the sata power plug ... this is so far away from where the firmware and other shit are stored, can it be fixed ????? :/

Thanks again

M.TARAKJI

image006pz.jpg

#11 February 4 2010

J4D

possible ! , it seems its still in the power supply region , but who knows if some surge extended to other parts ;) , the components within the circle can be replaced.but its your call , do you want to try fix it ( there is a chance it wont work again , only god knows) or you can take it back to the company for replacement because if the components were changed it would be obvious that the devise has been tampered with........

#12 February 4 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJV … r_embedded
and read this topic http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardwar … -work.html
i didn't mention this before near to my house in talet il khayat there's a shop his only duty is to repair corrupted boards (pc boards he repaired my lcd board before and ups board and many things..) he got an electronic engineer guy so he might be able to repair your hdd he's number is 03410011 or 01819109 and his name is wassim l kaysi he's shop is near to sultan mosque (masjid l sultan) (marelies near bank of beirut abou shabake street) hope that help's you
ive contacted him right now he said he can try to repair your hdd if he failed he will send it to pro engineers its up to you to decide what to do give it a shot you might get lucky

Last edited by Aj_BlaZ (February 4 2010)

#13 February 4 2010

J4D

mtarakji wrote:

bta3ref 7adan who can fix it ??

yeah me  (free ofcourse)  , provided that the fried components are present in the market .

#14 February 5 2010

samer
Admin

Multiple posts cleaned, mtarakji warned.

#15 February 8 2010

al_jamal

buy one from same month and same series and change the controllers :)

it might help

Board footer