LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 17 2010

kareem_nasser

Nvidia CUDA VS. AMD Stream processing

OK both help the CPU with physics calculations and double-precision floating point. So which does have the upper-hand other than the price.

#2 January 17 2010

arithma

Re: Nvidia CUDA VS. AMD Stream processing

What is AMD's answer to Nvidia's Tesla?
Otherwise, performance for those chip API's should be compared the same as the GPU's are compared. What I mean is that the graphics performance (though not totally encompassing everything possible by the API's) should be a good indicator to the general computing capabilities. And anyway, the OpenCL standard makes them comparable, so that should be a starting point to search for available or upcoming benchmarks.

#3 January 17 2010

Xsever

CUDA is more widespread while Stream is not yet. A lot of apps take advantage of CUDA when compared to STREAM.

I really think a lot of work should be done on GPGPU. GPUs cost a lot. They should be able to process tasks other than games.

Again, parallel programming is not as easy as sequential. Let's see what code writers can do !

#4 January 17 2010

kareem_nasser

Yeah Nvidia has a lot of support from developers but i think we should see what Intel's Larrabee will do.

#5 January 17 2010

arithma

Intel has dropped plans for Larrabee as its GPU. Don't know what that means to you, but I don't see it as a flamboyant success.

Last edited by arithma (January 17 2010)

#6 January 17 2010

kareem_nasser

At least they would make it  integrated on the motherboard and lets give Intel a chance on the gaming market.

Board footer