LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 17 2009

Tempto

Omkrois yo!

Hello guys! I am Omkrois, and an extreme  overabuser, although I try to hide it. I made a couple of posts before this but here's my introduction anyway.

I am a very avid WoW player/addict. I hate limited free bandwidth. I am Lebanese but was living in Dubai before I came back here again almost 2 months ago, so you can probably see that it's hard to adapt to the primitive lifestyle in this country after I've lived Dubai, even if I were here before

I am also an enthusiastic flight simmer, with hardware at home :). For those who have any idea what I'm talking about, I fly the 737NG frequently. I'd love to get a PM from a fellow flight simmer and have a nice chat!

-Peace.

Last edited by Tempto (December 17 2009)

#2 December 17 2009

Xsever

Re: Omkrois yo!

Omkrois! Fellow Simmer!

Welcome to the forum first. You will enjoy it for sure.

From this forum, there is me and Jad Berro who are flight simulation pros. I like turbo props more than jets, but I can still fly the jets. Me and Jad flew together online a couple of times on FSX. My favorite plane is the Beechcraft King Air 350 and then the Beechcraft Baron 58.

It's kind of disappointing to see that Microsoft is not interested in developing a new version of FS. Do you have any news/suggestions?

Last edited by Xsever (December 18 2009)

#3 December 17 2009

mir

Warm welcome !

#4 December 18 2009

Tempto

Firstly, thank you guys for the welcomes :)

To Xsever: That's great! Glad to see I'm not the only one. It sucks that MS won't continue developing FS, yes, but  I remain confident that another developer will step up and do that. I've heared Aerosoft is in the earliest stages of developing its very own flight simulator :)

#5 December 18 2009

Xsever

I hope they do because we really need a new simulator with new features and higher realism.

Isn't it simply amazing landing on runway 16 in Beirut?! I live in Canada now, can't wait to go back to Lebanon, but each time I land there on the simulator, I get goosebumps!  [yeah you can laugh at me ! :)]

#6 December 18 2009

Ayman

hey welcome aboard, enjoy the forums :)

#7 December 18 2009

J4D

horay !  welcome  , formation flight here we come ! we will contact each other soon :)

what gear are you using ? im on Saitek ST-290PRO , i fly all types of planes professionally , helicopters as well (Xsever experienced that first hand ) painted a lot as well , check out this video of me flying my custom made baroud fire heli !   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2cqJ6X0mM

Last edited by jadberro (December 18 2009)

#8 December 24 2009

Tempto

Thanks again for the welcome ;)

I use the CH Products Flight Sim yoke and rudder pedals, mostly I fly KLM around Europe because there are no MEA 737s and Europe's airports are more varied. I can probably fly similar Boeing variants such as the 757, 767, and 777, but I'm definitely more experienced with the 737NG (differences in the FMC, MCP, etc.).  Also yes, the occasional flight to Beirut is always interesting. I'd love to do some online flying with you guys sometime :)

I will check that video out now.

Sorry for the late reply, oh and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Tempto (December 24 2009)

#9 December 24 2009

rolf

Thats a weird name, I wonder if it's an anagram of your name. (your real name with letters shuffled around)
Anyway, you are welcome.
BTW there is a flight academy in Jordan offering a 1 week introductory course to flying, for all of these who are interested in "taking it to the next level" heh!

#10 December 24 2009

J4D

thats cool ! can you give us some more info ? i actually applied and got accepted to the royal Jordanian flight academy.... is it the one hosting this thing or AYLA ?

#11 December 25 2009

rolf

Ayla. There is a representative coming to Beirut  end December If you want to meet someone in person.
I dont know much about them, but they seem to be OK.

jadberro wrote:

thats cool ! can you give us some more info ? i actually applied and got accepted to the royal Jordanian flight academy....

Mabrouk! Are you going? Is it a sponsorship?

Last edited by rolf (December 25 2009)

#12 December 25 2009

J4D

i thought about it , but then decided to go through engineering (CCE) . after i finish ill apply for pilot in the Lebanese air-force . that way ill have it more organized and safe . and if the pilot thing did not work ill still be an engineer  i loose nothing i like both professions .

#13 December 25 2009

Tempto

Hey Rolf,

No, my real name is Ralph  about how I thought up of Omkrois, well my friend and I talk in a very weird way and it has evolved over time to the point where "nice" became "nais", "nois", "krois" and an an Om at the start. Yes it's crazy xP

I'm still thinking about the flight academy I will go to. There are several options I'm considering, including Ambry-Riddle Aviation College in Arizona, and I've heard MEA trains pilots in Switzerland. I would choose MEA, but I prefer Boeing and MEA doesn't have those. I will think about this Jordanian flight academy, thanks :)

#14 December 25 2009

J4D

actually the fact that you prefer Boeing on the flight simulator does not mean you are going to have the same experience with other planes , besides (yso7elak) to be with MEA ! they choose the best of the best or if you simply know the 7out ! you go in without a test like an idiot friend of mine !

#15 December 26 2009

rolf

I never had any preference for boeing vs airbus but I saw photos of the 787 and read about its features and it makes airbus look very boring and "yesterday", even if they decide to make a 4 storeys airplane :)
On the other hand, the cockpit of the 737 is *yuck* (IMHO).

#16 December 26 2009

J4D

rolf wrote:

the cockpit of the 737 is *yuck* (IMHO).

it is *yuck* compared to the elegance of the Airbus...and the superb fly by wire system ! the airbus would actually take over flight if the pilot was stupid enough to put the plane into a stall ! genius ! i tried the system on the simulator..the airbus even has food trays for the pilots  a small fighter pilot like joystick...it only lacks me *sigh*

#17 December 27 2009

rolf

Actually the airbus computers have so many different modes of functioning that they are a safety hazard in themselves. Just my humble opinion :)

#18 December 27 2009

J4D

i totally respect you opinion but inno something like the A380 must need a computer , a pilots head would explode without one :) its how he uses the computer and his expertise that would prevent disasters .

#19 December 28 2009

rolf

Of course it needs one. But from my Flight Simulator experience (he he), I noticed that the airbus computers have several mode of functioning, and I once read documentation about the operation of the throttle, and all I am saying, is that, IMHO, the several modes of functioning and complicated procedures make it possible that the pilots get confused while operating these and safety will be affected by it.
I am not against fly by wire, and simple computers operating the control surfaces, I just have some dislike towards the airbus flight envelope system, mostly the way it is implemented in the cockpit.

#20 December 28 2009

J4D

yes its actually a bit freaky when the plane takes over the throttle without anyone directing it , its only the fear of A.I. or like in the future terrorists would hack into planes and plant special routes.....

Board footer