LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 14 2009

surfer12

Help regarding choice of Monitor

Hey guys.

I'm currently considering buying a new LCD monitor to replace my current Samsung 17".
I'm quite confused regarding which one to choose in the 20-22" without exceeding 200$.(including VAT)

Here goes my options (from PcAndParts) :

1. Samsung 2033SN (20" 1600x900 only VGA)        $134
2. Samsung P2050N (20" 1600x900 VGA and DVI)  $168
3. Benq T2200HD     (21.5" 1080p VGA and DVI)    $149

The monitor will be used for everything: web surfing, movies, gaming, moderate 2d-3d applications.

The price and features of the Benq are quite appealing but i couldn't find any accurate review about it.
Any help would be appreciated :)

#2 December 14 2009

rolf

Re: Help regarding choice of Monitor

I have the benq you are talking about. It looks nice, is bright (nice contrast, nice black), has a good response (from my personal experience).
The colors are good but i would have liked if there were a bit less flashy (fluorescent), and more like the mac LCDs.
Lots of pixels on it :-)

#3 December 14 2009

J4D

if you have a DVI outlet go for the benq

#4 December 14 2009

surfer12

Thanks for the replies.
So Rolf there are no ghosting effects? because that's what i saw on one of the reviews..

#5 December 14 2009

rolf

I didnt notice any. There might be some very slight artifacts, but from my recollection the image was clean and crisp. I did watch a movie once and didnt notice anything either, but then I wasn't really concentrating on LCD performance.
You do loose some details in the highlights when you push the brightness to the maximum. But it also gets very bright, and there is no need to go so far. Also when I reduce brightness (or contrast, forgot which one), the monitor starts to make a faint mosquito-like sound at some point, which gets louder as you reduce the luminosity. If you like to work at low brightness and you're picky about computer noise, it might be a problem. Yet im not sure if it affects all monitors or if mine is just slightly defective.
Its not plugged in now, but its sitting on the living room table, I could plug it into the laptop (DVI), run some tests and give you more details later tonight.

#6 December 14 2009

surfer12

If you like to work at low brightness and you're picky about computer noise, it might be a problem.

Well fortunately i wont have that problem since i always work on normal brightness.

Its not plugged in now, but its sitting on the living room table, I could plug it into the laptop (DVI), run some tests and give you more details later tonight.

Only if you have some time, I'm interested in gaming performance since that's what i do 50% of the time on my desktop.
Much appreciated.

Board footer