LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 19 2009

proners

ProneCMS

Well, I've been doing a project for uni, but gradually i started to make a framework/codebase for later use in other projects, so i've named it proneCMS, but it's not really a content management system(yet), but like i said a very re-usable codebase.

Technologies used: PHP5, Apache, MySQL
Main benefits:
* Fully Object Oriented core base code
* Good Documentation for this codebase
* Extensibility: Content types, extensions, pages(so far)
* Themability: Ability to define new themes, blocks
* A focus on keeping core as small as possible
* Clean search engine friendly URLs thru apache mod_rewrite, non-clean urls are also supported

The system is still highly prototyped but stable. Some stuff are missing but are easy to implement but i can't find the right time to do them because of delving into new stuff and somewhat lack of time. An example of this stuff  would be serving anons static saved pages instead of generating the pages for them.
There are some other features that i wanted to implemented but decided not to because of some deficiencies in current version of php that would make them unfortunately a performance hit :(, but php 5.3 should be a god sent __(shit)Static

Expect a release soon

Last edited by proners (June 19 2009)

#2 June 19 2009

xterm

Re: ProneCMS

Good luck.

#3 June 19 2009

samer
Admin

Interesting :)
Do you mind me asking why not base your code on an existing CMS? (since you're releasing it under GPL anyway I assume).
Furthermore, what will proneCMS offer over its mature competitors (drupal, mambo, etc.)

#4 June 19 2009

proners

Well i am quite adept at drupal, and i could have used it.. I asked my tutor about it, i told him that i can develop a few interesting modules for drupal(about a topic), make the project around them, develop a theme and deliever this as my uni project, he was hesitant at first then he refused (:( oh well this is Lebanon after all ).

So i decided to create a simple project about maintaining courses online(Systeme de gestion de cours) but as i delved more into this, my ambitions got higher, and i begun to feel the necessity of a cms, since i couldn't use an existing one, i started developping my own, i had experience in the drupal architecture, but some of them are high OO concepts emulations, so i couldn't take them or i would just be copying and labeling under a different name ...
So i started making some include files(configuration, db, etc) and basic gui mockup.
Then i had made up my mind on the architecture: everything should be centralized and pluggable.
centralized: every request passes thru index.php thus i can also make use apache mod_rewrite for seo urls
pluggable: everything must be pluggable, thus can be removed, except for a few *core* files that retain the most minimal yet essential functionnality. And because everything is pluggable permissions can be finegrained at the utmost level.
full OO: while maintaining the use of static methods wherever possible
scalable: full page caching for anons(todo )

So if i had to sum up what's the advantage of proneCMS, it would be pluggability, thus you can remove anything you want without resorting to hacking code, and adding new features should be breeze because of the consistent class abstraction.

I intend to release it under GPL, as soon as I present the uni project, but until then i do not want it floating around the internet :rolleyes:, but i will have the time to implement more stuff to make it a more attractive proposition for some leb programmers to sccop in possibly

wooaaa i wrote much

Last edited by proners (June 19 2009)

#5 June 20 2009

samer
Admin

So i decided to create a simple project about maintaining courses online(Systeme de gestion de cours)

Check out Moodle for inspiration :)

#6 June 20 2009

mir

well.. even if the solution doesn't meet long time worldwide supported community project , it still deserves a cheer for proner 

well done :) hope u can add for example some arabic support stuff

if u feel u want to do some good , try selling the project to some web company and donating some of the revenu to feeding kids or stuff like this.. u will do more good this way

it would be nice to create something that hosts lebanese open source projects.. don't u think it is a nice idea?
so far... i've seen many guys here willing to donate their work
and maybe like this we would encourage peer review and peer learning and help each other around with projects and tasks

Board footer