LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 25 2009

mrmat

Wassup Everybody

Hello Everybody

Its nice to find some fellow Lebanese Geeks on the net, I just found this site and I hope it always gonna be active.

You can call me mrmat or mat, I am Lebanese of course, but currently livin in the UK. I am 17, I've got lots of experience that I am looking forward to share with others and at the same time develop it :).

Well, my experiences are:

Delphi/Pascal
Basics of C++ (btw this lang is rubbish)
.NET (VB/ASP), PHP, (HTML, CSS, JScript)
Good Networking Knowledge
Database, ..... Hardware....

Anywayz, iam not saying iam completely perfect in these, so i'll share what i know and learn more here.

Best Regards

Last edited by mrmat (March 25 2009)

#2 March 25 2009

xterm

Re: Wassup Everybody

Welcome.

I bet the C++ gurus are going to give you a hard time now :)

#3 March 25 2009

BashLogic

ou yeah!!! you just setup a flame by blaming c++!!
other languages are for lazy people. c++ is for those who are able and not "disabled"!! ;)
**FLAME FLAME**

BTW WelkomE

#4 March 25 2009

mrmat

Calm down..., am not tryin to start a CyberWar here..
Every one has an opinion, and am not that friendly with c++, but that might change durin my stay here :)

As for the laziness, no programming language is perfect, they all have their limitations and benefits, every job needs the right tool and you will have to pick the right language that is suitable for you, and in this case I chose Delphi as my primary prog lang which I found powerful and meet my needs.

IMO, languages that uses the .NET framework are for lazy people (I had to work with vb.net for certain reasons), to gain a good knowledge about programming, you should experience a high-level language first such as Pascal or C++, then you can move to them lazy languages which do most of the work for you such as Garbage Collection etc....

I think am a bit off-topic now, i just wanted to express my opinion, and stop the war before it begins....

Anyway, Nice to meet you guys

Later...

Just found out that xterm is a .NET guru, just don't care about the IMO part. :)

Last edited by mrmat (March 25 2009)

#5 March 25 2009

tich

mrmat wrote:

...to gain a good knowledge about programming, you should experience a high-level language first such as Pascal or C++, then you can move to them lazy languages which do most of the work for you such as Garbage Collection etc....

Actually C++ and Pascal are low level programming languages, compared to the .NET ones :)

And welcome :)

#6 March 25 2009

BashLogic

no way dude!!
** FLAME FLAME FLAME**
this forum lacks flaming!! its time to release the heat!! ;)

as for what you said, yes and no, it comes down to an individual and objective, so if you get it done and it works and everyone is happy who cares... use bash! ;)

** FLAME FLAME FLAME**

#7 March 25 2009

proners

**Flame Flame Flame**
All Microsoft products are shit  including their frameworks, tools and programming languages
With every iteration of their products, they dig themselves into a bigger deeper shithole that they don't know how to come out of..
But still you need to learn them because the market requires you to, but if it was for personal preference/use I'd stay away from them.
As for the easy tools they provide.... well.. once a bum always a bum.. so don't become one in the first place
**Flame Flame Flame**

Welcome to the forums

#8 March 25 2009

mrmat

Actually C++ and Pascal are low level programming languages, compared to the .NET ones

What i meant by high level in this case is that you (the developer) are more responsible to maintain your program's structure and flow, C++ and Pascal compilers generates machine code while VB.net are just saved as binary and then the code is executed by the framework, also programmers who starts with .NET won't have the chance to work with pointers and other memory things which are important to understand.

@BashLogic
What's up with your flames, i think we need a fire extinguisher on this forum some one is on fire !!!!

@proners
I agree with that, I've never been a big fan of their software development products, but we all have to use them, at the end we are using their OS and developing for it, and there's no better alternative.

Regards

#9 March 25 2009

tich

mrmat wrote:

Actually C++ and Pascal are low level programming languages, compared to the .NET ones

What i meant by high level in this case is that you (the developer) are more responsible to maintain your program's structure and flow, C++ and Pascal compilers generates machine code while VB.net are just saved as binary and then the code is executed by the framework, also programmers who starts with .NET won't have the chance to work with pointers and other memory things which are important to understand.

Then you should'nt have said "high-level", instead use "high-level" (meaning "requires higher level of knowledge") 

Last edited by tich (March 25 2009)

#10 March 26 2009

xterm

mrmat, I haven't been on this site for long, yet i havent seen any "flame wars". It's great to have a discussion regardless of what the context is. I'm in no way a "guru" in .NET, I actually hate the living guts of microsoft, yet i am forced to work with what my job requires :)

You made quite a few good points and some other points are just not that "correct" if i may say so. I do agree that people should always have good knowledge of a low level programming language, be it ASM, C, C++ strictly because the majority of the available languages were built on top of those.

Concerning the Lazyness point, i don't believe its for lazy people however you have said it yourself and i very much agree with you because i always emphasize on this point whenever there's a project at hand: "The right tool for the job". You wouldn't really use C++ in order to implement a web application, you'd use a higher level language or framework that would facilitate the tasks at hand.

My entire experience has been based on Java, i'm sun certified yet at this point in time i despise all the languages and all the frameworks (except for a certain pair). People might think that this is relatively weird for someone as experienced as i am, however i have my reasons which are relatively off topic here.

Good discussion i hope people would collaborate more on this website.

Last edited by xterm (March 26 2009)

#11 March 26 2009

karim soubra

Welcome

#12 March 26 2009

BashLogic

** FLAME FLAME FLAME **

xterm, collaboration ? wha? since when did lebs collaborate on anything?
no way dude!! im flaming you for that suggestion ;)

** FLAME FLAME FLAME **

#13 March 26 2009

mrmat

yeh, this is a good discussion, everyone expressed his/her opinions, well except some who kept on flaming ;)

I think we are off-topic now, beacause this area is for introductions, i will try to keep posting discussions in the other areas, and i hope the other memebers do that to keep this forum alive.

and i will repeat this

I hope people would collaborate more on this website.
Copyright xterm :)

Last edited by mrmat (March 26 2009)

#14 March 29 2009

ahlanwasahlan

Hello,
I am originally Lebanese now living in America. I was born in Jamaica and also went to school for many years in Lebanon. Looking forward to learning more about Lebanon and how to navigate my way around Lebanon.

#15 March 29 2009

samer
Admin

ahlanwasahlan wrote:

Hello,
I am originally Lebanese now living in America. I was born in Jamaica and also went to school for many years in Lebanon. Looking forward to learning more about Lebanon and how to navigate my way around Lebanon.

Please create a new topic to introduce yourself :)

#16 March 29 2009

mir

Welcome both of you guys :)

-- YaY.. more software ppl joining the forum .. nananananana

#17 March 30 2009

rolf

ahlanwasahlan wrote:

Hello,

Hello... welcome...  Jamaica? country of the atomic bong?
Hope you dont get too lost in lebanon :) Its easy for a jamaican to get lost here..

#18 April 3 2009

Namasensei

Been Searching over a web for Lebanese gamers and here we go just found out that this web kick ass!

#19 April 3 2009

Lebscream

Namasensei wrote:

Been Searching over a web for Lebanese gamers and here we go just found out that this web kick ass!

Join us in WoW

Board footer