LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 6 2009

samer
Admin

EDGE in Lebanon, offered by MTC Touch

MTC Touch has issued a press release announcing the availability of EDGE in Lebanon

Beirut, December 30th, 2008: mtc touch [...] launch[ed] the revolutionary EDGE technology, covering all Lebanon. (...) EDGE is a mobile technology using sophisticated coding methods and delivering three times higher bit-rates per radio channel over GPRS. The EDGE technology that we deployed using Motorola solution, is being exclusively introduced to mtc touch customers, more precisely to those subscribed to GPRS service. Full Article

I haven't been able to find a page specific for this service, but it seems they will replace their GPRS service by EDGE and (hopefully) keep the same prices:

GPRS Only SIM Cards:  $5 set-up fee, $5 for 5 MB/Month
GPRS 1 (30 MB)  $20/month
GPRS 2 (65 MB) $40/month
GPRS 3 (100 MB) $60/month
(for fixed lines only)

Price Source

#2 January 7 2009

rolf

Re: EDGE in Lebanon, offered by MTC Touch

hopefully... keep the same prices...? $65 for 100 mb???
:|

#3 January 7 2009

teodorgeorgiev

EDGE?
With Motorola BTSes? Nah, won't work well.

#4 January 7 2009

samer
Admin

Hello Teo,
can you offer more insight on why it wouldn't work well? (note that I have no knowledge in telephony)

#5 January 7 2009

battikh

i don't know how good or bad motorola is in edge, what are the pros and cons, ... but etisalat in uae has been on it since 2006 and it seems to be working fine... i don't know if tehy are facing problems on the backend, so i might be wrong.
but for mtc, as their whole network is already based on motorla BTSs, it's their only feasable solution as it's mainly just a software upgrade. changing all teh hardware to alactel or siemens would be too costy, too risky, create too much downtime, ... using motorala is their only option... but still, i don't know how good they are, being their only option doesnt mean it's a good service

#6 January 7 2009

teodorgeorgiev

<admin edit: Please keep sarcastic remarks to yourself and kindly stop trolling. >

#7 January 9 2009

mir

well i called the support to see if i could subscribe, the support guy was "not that smart" ( let me put it this way)
I felt i had to itrajeh y2oul l kilmeh , at the end he told me to wait a bit.. and the bit was relatively a long time for me, so i hang up, i am not hurrying to subscribe with them, i think better give them some time, till they are out of beta before subscribing.

anyone else tried the Edge thing ? any feedback so far other than marketing brochures ?

-- Samer, the reason is hilarious indeed

Last edited by mir (January 9 2009)

#8 January 9 2009

teodorgeorgiev

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

<admin edit: Please keep sarcastic remarks to yourself and kindly stop trolling. >

sure thing :)

Board footer