LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 January 24 2023

Salloum

Re: Emigrating out of Lebanon - General Questions

rolf wrote:

Hello, in 2019 I had a work contract in Quebec and had started all the necessary steps for securing a temporary work permit in relation to this contract, as directed by the company.

In dec 2020 we were waiting for the last step so that I can leave for Canada and join the company when they notified me that they were "canceling the contract" which I'm pretty sure is a breach of contract.

So it's been a while but I still want to see if there is anything I can do to get my rights back, at least some compensation for all the time that I spent preparing the paperwork and for loss of income.

I'm back in Beirut so not sure how to proceed. I know I should probably talk to a lawyer but does anyone has any specific tips, maybe for one that would be affordable?

I'd start by reading the contract myself in detail and making sure there isn't any clause in there that allows them to cancel the contract for any reason.

Last edited by Salloum (January 24 2023)

#52 January 24 2023

Johnaudi

Salloum wrote:

I'd start by reading the contract myself in detail and making sure there isn't any clause in there that allows them to cancel the contract for any reason.

IIRC, here in Germany, you cannot retract a contract once signed but they can fire you on the first day of probation.

#53 January 19

samer
Admin

For those interested in Germany, citizenship just got a lot easier to acquire. Easiest path is for students to get accepted into one of the technical univerisities there (most of them are practically free IIRC). If you're not a student anymore and you managed to pass the LebGeeks sign-up programming test, you can probably land a technical job at a German company.

The German parliament has passed a law that will make it easier for foreigners to acquire citizenship, as Berlin looks to immigration to solve a dire shortage of skilled workers.

Under the law, passed by 382 votes to 234, people will be able to apply for citizenship after living in Germany for five years, rather than eight as at present. Those who have made a particular effort to integrate — for example by becoming proficient in German or doing voluntary work — can apply after three years.

It also lifts a ban on dual nationality for people from non-EU countries.

source: https://archive.is/NvoaK

Board footer