LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 21 2020

infiniteloop

Selling to abroad, how can we get paid here?

Ok let's say I find someone I trust to buy my camera and lenses, but he's in Europe.
How can I get paid knowing the actual crazy situation in Lebanon?
Cash United and western Union accept to pay in Euros or $? or they pay in lbp only?

#2 September 21 2020

TheIlluminative

Re: Selling to abroad, how can we get paid here?

infiniteloop wrote:

Ok let's say I find someone I trust to buy my camera and lenses, but he's in Europe.
How can I get paid knowing the actual crazy situation in Lebanon?
Cash United and western Union accept to pay in Euros or $? or they pay in lbp only?

OMT pays in $ now. But they take 2% from you. I guess they will charge him between $10-$20, depends on the amount.

#3 September 21 2020

xazbrat

Or regular bank wires---they have become a lot cheaper for the sender now, especially in countries not named Lebanon.

#4 September 21 2020

infiniteloop

Nah no banks, I need the cash, banks are virtual numbers here

#5 September 21 2020

Hybrid

Banks will give you the dollars in USD if it's fresh money... Unless not all banks do that? (I know Audi does it with a limit of around $2500 per day or week)

Also, OMT/WU might not give you the full amount in USD, let's say after the 2% they have to pay you $438, they will give you $400 and tell you they don't have $38 and will give you that in LBP at 7000LBP rate or so

#6 September 22 2020

xazbrat

infiniteloop wrote:

Nah no banks, I need the cash, banks are virtual numbers here

If the money is from abroad, you will be able to draw actual dollar bills or send the money abroad if you wish.  OMT/WU may pay you in actual dollars, but since supply is short, a lot of it will come in LL at the black market rate.  Unfortunately, direct p2p payment systems are limited in this country and there are no good options.

#7 September 23 2020

samer
Admin

Pick your poison:

- Fresh dollar account: requires trusting a bank
- Stablecoins / crypto: requires cashing out by exchanging with someone via a telegram group
- OMT / WU: high fees as outlined above, and not guaranteed to get paid in USD.

Board footer