LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 12 2020

VincentKeyboard

Workplaces in Lebanon

Hello. We're getting about only 40 minutes of electricity in our street and I can't afford a moteur subscription.
The office where I work closes at about 4PM and I need somewhere to work after that and on Sundays.
I've been going to Dunkin donuts sodeco. They don't mind if you don't buy coffee and I just bring a full mug from home and my laptop to work there. However, it can get noisy there.
Can someone recommend any other places with wifi where I can sit and work for free?

#2 July 12 2020

rolf

Re: Workplaces in Lebanon

VincentKeyboard wrote:

They don't mind if you don't buy coffee and I just bring a full mug from home and my laptop to work there.

Wait until 50 persons read your post and go squatting there!

I dont have any recommemdations. Starbucks Zalka is quiet-ish, if they will ask you to buy, I don't know.

I know a few coworking places (mar mkhayel, hamra, mkalles) not usually free but you can try.

It would be nice if we "geeks" unite and create such a space. Rent is cheap, maybe those who can will pay, the others can contribute in some other way.

Last edited by rolf (July 12 2020)

#3 July 12 2020

VincentKeyboard

Come to think of it, I did see someone with Android studio on his computer!

#4 July 13 2020

zizo99

try starbucks rawche

#5 July 13 2020

nuclearcat

My experience working in conditions with very little electricity supply - buying necessary amount of batteries and standby/low power DC-DC converters to power router and charge/run laptop. Do not run 12V to 220V inverter, especially powerful ones, they waste lot of energy, as most power supplies convert it back to low voltage DC. Powerful ones also have high idle consumption current.
100 Ah battery can keep router+laptop alive ~16 hours or more even if they use full cpu load.
Biggest challenge, due chemistry limitation on lead-acid - you can charge it from zero to full not less than ~8 hours(There is trick for recharging to 90% in 4 hours, using 14.4v charging, with some lifetime loss), so it is better to get at least one solar panel and to calculate depth of discharge to level that can be charged in this 40 minutes. Or to find large lithium batteries.
Probably you can join forces with fellow lebgeeks if they are nearby for creating resilient co-working place, but as soon as there is significant distance, means amount of driving, all benefits are killed by expenses and inconvenience. If you calculate accident chance, parking (fees and risks), driving, car expenses (fuel and value depreciation) - arranging your own place might be cheaper. And probably too fundamental and serious for your case, if you just need to work few hours at evening and sunday.
But working in cafes IMHO not reliable solution at all.

#6 July 22 2020

Guitaret

Hello nuclearcat,

I have been meaning to set up a UPS in my house just to power lights (they are all led), TV, router, laptop.
In the shop I went to, they priced the 1500VA UPS for 280$
2 x 150AH battery, priced 140$ each (+30$ each for Deep-cycle).

What do you think? Is the deep-cycle upgrade worth it?

If you have experience with generators as well, I would appreciate it if I can ask you some questions.

#7 July 22 2020

nuclearcat

Check if they are recognized brands and if they have official datasheets. Usually deep cycle worth in UPS applications, otherwise they might die too early, but make sure you are not paying for air.
For UPS, also try to get specs, what is cutoff voltage (and if it can be changed), idle consumtion (quiescent power), efficiency on load, sure if it has specs.
I believe router and laptop you can power from DC-DC step-down directly, without using UPS (just make sure about cutoff, to not drain battery till dry), usually they have much less losses, but it is more tricky and need some electronics knowledge.
With generators i have some experience, but it is based on general electronics knowledge, not Lebanon specific experience working with them. I owned some small petrol generators, with inverter, as it allowed it to run in silent,low-load mode.

#8 July 22 2020

Guitaret

nuclearcat wrote:

Check if they are recognized brands and if they have official datasheets. Usually deep cycle worth in UPS applications, otherwise they might die too early, but make sure you are not paying for air.
For UPS, also try to get specs, what is cutoff voltage (and if it can be changed), idle consumtion (quiescent power), efficiency on load, sure if it has specs.
I believe router and laptop you can power from DC-DC step-down directly, without using UPS (just make sure about cutoff, to not drain battery till dry), usually they have much less losses, but it is more tricky and need some electronics knowledge.
With generators i have some experience, but it is based on general electronics knowledge, not Lebanon specific experience working with them. I owned some small petrol generators, with inverter, as it allowed it to run in silent,low-load mode.

Thank you nuclearcat,

Questions:
cutoff voltage is the safety net not to drain the battery completely right? What is the ideal cutoff voltage?
What should I expect the charging time will be?
generators:
Why do people keep recommending diesel more?
Some people keep telling me that I have to use all the load of the generator otherwise it will affect its lifespan? An inverter is a solution for that right? How much silent can it be?
How easy it is to automate the private generator?
Is 3KVA enough for a household?

Last edited by Guitaret (July 22 2020)

#9 July 22 2020

nuclearcat

Cutoff: Not lower than 11.8V
Charging time: Charging time depends on chemistry, 7-9 hours since 0% to 100% SOC, and keep in mind it is not linear. Last 10% need 2.5hour, last 20% - 3.5hour and so on. Approx table: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Cha … _325627377
This is very good charger, and does it 7 hours at relatively low ambient temperature. Most of UPS dont do good charger job and built just for short interruptions.
Why diesel: Diesel lifespan is much longer, less maintenance, less toxic fumes(not sure about that in Lebanon, due lack of regulations on fuel and exhaust), less flammable, less overheating. But they dont scale well to small sizes.
Load: They oversimplify. It is better to keep load within 60-90%. Underload cause soot buildup, overload cause overheat and higher wearout.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking
I had very small 1kva petrol generator with inverter, just to keep pc, internet stuff on and charge ups. It has low load mode and run very silent in it
Automation: Most of them have options for remote start and shutdown, IMO it is trivial, if it have it. Sure if you are good with electricity.
3KVA: For me - on the edge, depends if it will handle rush current. Large A/C, power hungry home appliances might require more. You can just install some logging current meter and check log of 1 day

Keep in mind, if you need good place to install it. When you will run it, likely on blackout, people many people will be without electricity too, with open windows, as they have no A/C. They might force you to shut it down, if they smell exhaust.

#10 July 24 2020

beezer

I would suggest that if you're looking for power at home to go for solar as the long term of generators doesn't look promising.

Oil and fuel are not likely to stay available for long, currently diesel isn't available unless you're willing to pay above government cost. Telecom towers are changing to solar (mind you their equipment is all DC) but they're also doing it because of this situation with fuel.

You don't need all the batteries at once for solar and can start making changes at home to reduce usage at night to keep things going longer and the day time will be your max consumption.

Good luck, these are terrible times.

#11 July 28 2020

nuclearcat

If fuel will be out, your internet provider/centrale most likely will be out too.

#12 July 28 2020

Guitaret

I decided to go for both options but on a modest scale:
I am getting a 1500VA APS with 2 big batteries and I am getting a small generator (it would be gasoline since I couldn't find a small size diesel engine).
The total cost will be around 1000$.

As sad as it is, I will use the generator to recharge the batteries when the power goes out for long hours and to power tasks like washing my cloth or powering the fridge for few hours for stuff not to get rotten.

My plan is assuming EDL + private generator subscribtion will give me at least 12 hours per day.
If we go 20 hours per day without power, I will probably not buy any more food that gets rotten easily.

Not for banks giving us our salary in USD, I would have gotten a bigger APS and a bigger diesel engine (~2000$)

#13 July 28 2020

infiniteloop

Put a pair of earphones and classical music, problem solved

#14 July 28 2020

nuclearcat

For food, use "cold storage" trick. 10-15% saline solution in freezer, it will keep -9 to -14 until it melts entirely.
Sure fill only containers that wont crack in freezer.

#15 July 29 2020

VincentKeyboard

It looks like the dunkin donuts trick no longer works. They got a lot of squatters and freeloaders yesterday and started nudging people to buy stuff.
I need to look for a new spot.

#16 July 29 2020

infiniteloop

VincentKeyboard wrote:

It looks like the dunkin donuts trick no longer works. They got a lot of squatters and freeloaders yesterday and started nudging people to buy stuff.
I need to look for a new spot.

McDonalds outdoor :)
You have outdoor at Mathaf and Dora I think

Last edited by infiniteloop (July 29 2020)

Board footer