LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 22 2020

joe2k17

Lebanese Banks Preferred Shares

Hello Community,

Has anyone bought "Preferred Shares" from any Lebanese banks and know what will happen to them ?

Any official decision was issued from Central bank or any other bank regarding the preferred shares ?

Many Thanks,

#2 June 22 2020

duke-of-bytes

Re: Lebanese Banks Preferred Shares

consider them gone

#3 June 22 2020

Johnaudi

It's a nice donation for the wealthy.

#4 June 22 2020

joe2k17

are they officially gone ?

#5 June 22 2020

duke-of-bytes

joe2k17 wrote:

are they officially gone ?

officially no , but i have 15k in shares in BLF .. and from what I understood it is practically impossible to cash them now ( they need to buy them to another investor to cash out the money )

#6 June 22 2020

joe2k17

are they giving any interest on them ?

#7 June 22 2020

Johnaudi

joe2k17 wrote:

They are shares, their price changes depending on the banks' performance.

#8 June 22 2020

duke-of-bytes

joe2k17 wrote:

weirdly yes .. but they are just numbers .. fake dollars aka lollars

#9 June 22 2020

joe2k17

Considering the situation it is  better than nothing

#10 June 22 2020

random-username

joe2k17 wrote:

DO NOT BUY THESE. Preferred shares fall under the equity section of a bank, they have a value of ZERO right now, since the banks incurred a lot of losses mainly from government not paying the EBs. Once the banks book these entries, the entire equity section will be wiped out.
That's why banks are getting into fights with the government, since all the politicians that are currently shareholders in these banks will lose all their shares and depositors will become the new shareholders.
You'll be literally burning your money if you buy these shares. Consider them gone in a month or 2.

#11 June 23 2020

joe2k17

random-username wrote:
joe2k17 wrote:

DO NOT BUY THESE. Preferred shares fall under the equity section of a bank, they have a value of ZERO right now, since the banks incurred a lot of losses mainly from government not paying the EBs. Once the banks book these entries, the entire equity section will be wiped out.
That's why banks are getting into fights with the government, since all the politicians that are currently shareholders in these banks will lose all their shares and depositors will become the new shareholders.
You'll be literally burning your money if you buy these shares. Consider them gone in a month or 2.

I already bought long time ago , I want to know if they are  wiped out or there still any chance to get them back one day

#12 June 23 2020

random-username

joe2k17 wrote:
random-username wrote:
joe2k17 wrote:

I already bought long time ago , I want to know if they are  wiped out or there still any chance to get them back one day

It depends on whether the government or the banks get their way in regards to recognizing losses. Banks want to protect their equity by understating the losses, whereas the government fully recognizes them.
I can't predict the future, but my money is on the government recognizing the losses and bailing-in depositors, which in turn means wiping out current shareholders (common and preferred)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you can offload them to someone else, do it while you can.

#13 June 23 2020

Salloum

Any bank equity security is worth zero. Sorry.

#14 June 23 2020

duke-of-bytes

gone my friend , gone .

#15 June 23 2020

beezer

No dividends on preferred shares at the moment. Not considered gone as of yet. Whatever BDL circular goes around doesn't have to approved by the bank. And if the bank is forced to approve the circular, it's up to the bank to decide when to implement them.

Board footer