LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 30 2008

Halo

I'm On WISE (Padre, read this)

Hi guys,

I just bought a Wise box and got on Wise, and I really like it, it's amazing for online games, very stable, barely any latency/lag, it's very nice, but recently, I've been having some problems.

Normally when I do a traceroute to bbc.co.uk, I go through 9 hops at around 200 ms each (except the first one, that's around 30 ms (I have all LEDs lit)). Now, it times out on the 2nd hop, and it only does 7 hops, but each one is 500 ms. I thought it was just high traffic, because normally I get the stableness and the low latency at around 11:00 A.M., but I just got on and it timed out again on the 2nd hop, and all the other hops were high.

So, I didn't know what was going on until I did a speedtest, where it said my ISP was SkyVision Holdings Ltd. Before, when I had lower latency, it said my ISP was Moscanet. So, I'm guessing I'm on a different backbone now. Isn't SkyVision Holdings Ltd. a satellite backbone? If I call WISE, will they switch me to Moscanet? Anyone with WISE have this problem? How did you resolve it? I recall Padre telling me a long time ago to make sure I tell them to connect me to their better backbone. Is the case I'm describing the situation of being on the bad backbone?

Thanks guys, if I get the backbone fixed, then I highly suggest WISE, if you can deal with bandwith limits. Just do the downloads at night time, although it is kind of unstable at that time. Best is in the morning. I get around 300 kbps download and 50 kbps upload. Quality of service is around 90%. Honestly, it is amazing for online games. On my 360, it has 3 levels for connections, a red bar (bad), a yellow bar (okay), and a green bar (good). I get a green bar with WISE :)

#2 March 30 2008

Padre

Re: I'm On WISE (Padre, read this)

hum ... well it's correct :)
they have actually 3 backbones i think. but now only 2 are available to customers. a satellite and a land line.
you can try and call them, but i dont know if they have any obligation to change it. as for me, it was requested in the initial contract, like 3 or 4 years ago.

#3 March 31 2008

nuclearcat

Btw Skyvision __recently__ became Israeli company.

Here is news that Gilat going to acquire it.
Read: http://www.ivc-online.com/ivcWeeklyItem … cleID=5194

And this is law company who took care about it
http://ravivlaw.com/brochure.pdf

#4 March 31 2008

Halo

The thing is, my backbone keeps changing, they keep changing it for me.

#5 April 1 2008

WizaRd

What is your online games latency (with this backbone change) on average ??

#6 April 1 2008

Halo

When I ping bbc.co.uk, it's around 500 ms.
Normally, on good days, its around 180 ms.
I get in the traceroute like 1 or 2 less hops with the satellite, but still, online gaming is much better with the 9-10 hops each at 200 ms each. I'm going to call them either today or tomorrow, but I highly doubt they'll change me for good. They keep changing me now, when it's peak time - satellite. When no one's on - land line.

Board footer