LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 21 2020

Guitaret

Current morale

Hey guys,

I just thought we need to have a separate thread for this issue, not wanting to give the rant impression (or talk politics) but only a sanity check on our psychology.

I have been assessing lately the impact of the Lebanese situation on me and I have to say that my mind is in a new dimension of thoughts now.

Needless to say that I may sound like a spoiled teenager to some (including me) since the majority of humans (since ever) have suffered through much worse situations: Famines, wars, massacres, epidemic...

I am just baffled that all I was thinking about last year was: doing the kitchen, searching which better car should I have, designing my living room, furniture... Now everything seems pointless, going through shopping malls and seeing the despair on the faces of sales people takes the meaning out of the things I use to make important in my life: not just the material things, probably everything you ever worked hard for.

Sometimes I see this positively as a wake-up call to understand the true meaning of life away from the temptations of the system.
I mean people who worked hard for years and saved lots of money in the bank are now worried how much of their life savings are gone (if not all) and people who bought real estate might need to wait 10 years for their investment to mean anything in this country.

I see this as a big violent slap on my face (the one from the slapping contests), I have invested major part of my youth doing what the system wants me to do: being financially successful while what I should have done is live day by day and try to enjoy new experiments as much as I can before I die. I just feel cheated, and I regret blaming others in the past for not having financial ambition. I just wished I have lived more and planned less. Back to the primitive.

Sorry for sounding negative but I need to know that I am not alone in this, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Guitaret (January 21 2020)

#2 January 21 2020

kareem_nasser

Re: Current morale

I personally don't see this negative at all, in fact you might feel less stressed in your current state and how you are tackling things.

In my opinion we are all bound to reach death at some point, no matter which path we choose (or was written). In between we need to have purpose and reasons, which to some are a provided through religion as an example. Humans are mammals and if we don't see beyond that fact then we just try to show our importance (eg through religion, as in our importance to a Deity) which gives some a sense of purpose.

We can live in a 750000 LBP salary or 1500000 LBP, but would be grateful for any of which or just want more, or as we usually say i want to improve and prove myself in the community i am in by being more productive. The details are in the social status and acceptance of others (a big factor since we are social creatures) based on the former.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (January 21 2020)

#3 January 21 2020

NuclearVision

Thanks, we all need a reminder from time to time to live our life, just let it be, I've been to busy with my studies lately and need to chill.
thank you

#4 January 21 2020

samer
Admin

Guitaret, thanks for sharing. I think self expression and community support are crucial in such vulnerable times.

I'll leave some quotes from ancient philosophy that have been helpful to me over the years.

“Life is very short and anxious for those who forget the past, neglect the present, and fear the future.” – Seneca

“The chief task in life is simply this: to identify and separate matters so that I can say clearly to myself which are externals not under my control, and which have to do with the choices I actually control. Where then do I look for good and evil? Not to uncontrollable externals, but within myself to the choices that are my own…” – Epictetus

#5 January 21 2020

rolf

The things that you like doing, I think you can still do them.
I second kareem_nassar, I believe that what makes one happy are the small things, maybe a simple home-cooked meal, a conversation with a friend, even a gesture to a stranger, etc. This is an opportunity to remember.
I am guilty of forgetting this as well. I think we all can be.
Finally, I am sorry to hear that you feel like you were slapped in the face.
I hope it will get better.

Last edited by rolf (January 21 2020)

#6 January 21 2020

DG

As you age, you will probably notice a change in the way you look at life.
Personally, I had many plans and none of them came to fruition so I have learned to have hope but no expectations. Hope is when you would like something to happen but if it doesn't then you are ok and life goes on. Expectation is when you feel extremely bad and disappointed and down if something doesn't happen. Do you see the difference ?
It's all about learning to be happy with what you have and striving for more without being devastated if you can't have/achieve it. Always do your best but be ready to accept the fact that life has its own mysterious ways that sometimes none of us can control.

#7 January 21 2020

VincentKeyboard

It's not at a dead end yet. We can still lower the dollar price again so people with lower incomes can survive. We can fix the political issues so people's money isn't held hostage by banks.
We just need to remember that we are all in the same situation and that any move we take affects everyone. We also need to forget old ideologies and adopt new ones both in governing bodies and economics.

#8 January 21 2020

potato

im pretty sure that i still like to eat potato from time to time and it makes things better for me. The slap you are talking about is different for everyone else, for you it might be money and income, for others it might be broken heart or some loved ones is lost or someone got injured into hospital or someone lost a dad. I can name many things its just different. What i learned till now is cherish what i have because believe me i know alot in a worse situation than i am and for them im living a pretty good life so i stopped complaining and started hustling through life. Every obstacle is just another starting point to overcome, every bad day there is going to be a good day up ahead. Living life in the present.

I suggest to read this post

#9 January 21 2020

rolf

potato wrote:

The slap you are talking about is different for everyone else,

Yes, for me it just made me stressed and anxious.

#10 January 22 2020

potato

rolf wrote:
potato wrote:

The slap you are talking about is different for everyone else,

Yes, for me it just made me stressed and anxious.

The circumstances that each of us is living differs. However, in this age there are alot of people living in dire situation because of the enviornment they grew up in or the society is shit. I learned that in every situation i must conquer every second i breath and let life go on. We all make mistakes even our parents but better start chaning than letting things as they are.
Oh yes i have been slapped many times that i got used to slapping its just life. So hope everyone keep heading straight instead of losing their grip on their life.

#11 January 22 2020

rolf

potato wrote:

better start chaning than letting things as they are .

Even if there are a 1000 reasons for it to fail, you will feel much better for having tried.

#12 January 22 2020

Kareem

Guitaret, I totally understand you as I'm in a very similar situation. I planned for my 30's  5 years ago... Getting married, renovating the apartment, wedding, furniture and the list goes on.

The crisis hit us really hard, in the middle of everything. I have savings and I wasn't sure what to do. Do I leave everything behind and immigrate? Imagine that I have paid almost half the amount for almost everything on my list ( car, kitchen, apartment, interior decoration, appliances, etc.. ) and I was too afraid to go further as the economy is falling apart and your income is no longer stable.

I had two options,   leave everything behind and move on or go all in. For me it was the latter.

I understand that not everything in life goes according to my plans but I was happy. Heck I had dreams in mind ever since I was 18.... I worked hard to do the things I love. It might be a crazy and risky move but going all in was the only option.

This is purely subjective but honestly I'm OK with the system. It's very challenging but the benefits outweigh the risk. In the end, the money I'm making is not mine, it's for my family and kids, to secure a better life and future.

Lebanon is prone to crisis every 15 years since the 1960 ( 1975, 1990, 2005, 2020.. )  People are still getting married, they are making families in much worse conditions.

Back in time, in the 80's specifically my parents were in Germany, sending all their savings to Lebanon in LBP. They lost most of it when the USD hit 3000 LBP; they started from scratch. It was very demotivating and depressing, but nowaday we're doing fine.

I don't agree with people losing their money and savings in the current situation and it's highly improbable but it's gonna take a long time before it recovers. Buying properties is a good idea. In the end this is how rich people made their money during the civil war.

#13 January 23 2020

dio

I'm so glad this thread exists. I thought I was the only one feeling this way the past couple of months.

#14 January 26 2020

Tech Guru

Death strikes without a reason even in high protected castles. When a person appointed time comes,  it will not come late or early by one second. As a result I live day by day without circulating negative thoughts in my subconscious for future negative outcomes , ramifications , and repercussions.

I follow this way:

Nor does any one know what he will lose or earn tomorrow  Nor does any one know in what land he is to die. Verily with GOD is full knowledge and He is acquainted (with all things).

Last edited by Tech Guru (January 26 2020)

#15 February 7 2020

Guitaret

All the love for you guys, I have read each feedback many times and appreciate sharing what you have come up with during your journey.

Things are better for me now knowing that I am not alone with my aspirations, knowing that the things that ache us are the neglected source of our potential. After all, one shouldn't be proud of his indifference to the order of things, we are not still stones.

I am getting closer to my optimum balance, perhaps this is where I can be happy. I am more aware of the little things that need to be fixed in me, I am less fearful of unfair things being inevitable. I will always look for the meaning behind the happening of things, I will keep looking for the answers to difficult questions but I will even put more effort to enjoy life and will try to believe that rock bottom is behind me now.

Sharing this beautiful movie scene of the pursuit of meaning. (some may find it sad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0BwI9SUX4M

I will keep you posted.

#16 February 16 2020

Guitaret

Following up on this recent self-assessment exercise, I will need your help on the below as I am trying to get to the bottom of things:

As you know everything is moving really fast in our modern world, we have many more things to do/want and less time to do. I have come to notice that even my thoughts are racing fast (faster than what is healthy) and I will give you a common example (just a micro extreme one):
When I want to know something, as the closing hour of a restaurant and I grab my phone to Google it. If I didn't find what I am looking for on the first page of results (or even in the rich search result or card), I find myself feeling a slight frustration. Needless to say that I did not appreciate the fact that it took me just 20 seconds to find what I am looking for, I did not appreciate the accessible knowledge of the world (internet), I did not appreciate the fact that I hold a small device in my hands that gives me marvelous access, one that my ancestors did not dare to dream of.

I feel like this new culture for quick/hasty demands has affected my brain in a bad way as I struggle now so much to summon my serenity to even finish one chapter of the book I am reading. Having said that, you have no idea how I feel towards other unfinished things in my to-do list of life.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

#17 February 17 2020

rolf

Our ancestors used to travel on foot for days, when we take a short car ride.
I think that traveling by foot is nice, that's why we still go on hikes or on walks.

Maybe every one of us can feel this frustration: being fooled by the promises of the modern word. We spend our lives chasing "goals" when goals are constantly moving, it's like chasing a mirage. In our obsession to get there, in our obsession with safety and efficiency, what happened to the art of enjoying the trip?

All is not lost, in fact there is hope. I think we still have it in us, it's just a matter of balance.The quality of the journey matters, however sometimes you need a goal, right?

Last edited by rolf (February 17 2020)

#18 February 17 2020

Guitaret

rolf wrote:

All is not lost, in fact there is hope. I think we still have it in us, it's just a matter of balance.The quality of the journey matters, however sometimes you need a goal, right?

How to take things slow again? How to not mind that your trip to work just took another extra 10 min due to traffic? How to be not bothered that time is flying fast? How to allow yourself to enjoy the little time you have after your full-time job? I mean how people use to spend weeks to finish a single painting while I get frustrated if my food got delayed by only 5 minutes? How to take things slow again and try to learn a new trade (for example)?

Board footer