LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 February 13 2020

duke-of-bytes

Re: Paying with Lebanese cards online

Elied wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:
Dan28 wrote:

ohh they are allowing higher limit for fresh money?

banks are claiming there is no restrictions but this is a lie .. don't fall in their trap

They have less restrictions/higher cap for fresh money also depending on the bank and amount, other people have confirmed this on the forums in different threads as well.

Suit yourself .. all fresh money will be treated as the old money soon

#27 February 16 2020

NuclearVision

Has anyone been able to refill their blom mini through the atm? With usd bills of course. I haven't tried it.

#28 February 16 2020

Johnaudi

I loaded some fresh cash early last month on my youth debit card (the result of a refund), I still cannot use them to this date. I would not suggest anyone introduce any cash to the banks at this time.

#29 February 16 2020

NuclearVision

weird i had some balance and i was able to use it last week, but now i need to refill, thats why i'm asking.
I don't think the atm can take my cash and tell me you can't use it, I would make a scene if that happens

#30 February 16 2020

Johnaudi

Everytime capital control gets modified, the fresh dollars are included in the equation (hence they are no long et fresh). Well, at least, that's what I have concluded. Don't take my word for it, just personal experience.

Once I called them and told the about the case their reason was (in summary) "the limits are on your account as of date X, no matter whether they were fresh or not"

#31 February 16 2020

xazbrat

Johnaudi wrote:

Everytime capital control gets modified, the fresh dollars are included in the equation (hence they are no long et fresh). Well, at least, that's what I have concluded. Don't take my word for it, just personal experience.

Once I called them and told the about the case their reason was (in summary) "the limits are on your account as of date X, no matter whether they were fresh or not"

I used to have only 2 bank accounts--one in USD and one in LL.  I now have FOUR USD ones---3 of them 'fresh' in the last few months.  The problem is that I don't have normal access to those accounts (can't get sms's etc)  and don't know when money comes in and that I have a credit card which is/was linked to a specific account which has been changing.  I keep having to go down to the bank and tying the credit card to a different account.

It is sort of exasperating to say the least and my suspicions from a while ago have been confirmed--no one at the banks knows what the hell they are doing.

#32 February 16 2020

mk555

NuclearVision wrote:

Has anyone been able to refill their blom mini through the atm? With usd bills of course. I haven't tried it.

yeah, I did it like two weeks ago. I placed a $100 bill and I'm using it online. They have a limit though ($100/month).

#33 February 16 2020

Johnaudi

The biggest joke is the SMS (OTP upon purchase) that you must inquire to do online purchases. The OTP is only being sent perhaps one day per week now, and once you call them their response is 'It's getting fixed due to technical problems'.

Another reason why not to induce fresh funds.

#34 February 16 2020

Dan28

Johnaudi wrote:

Another reason why not to induce fresh funds.

another reason why im opening a bank account in georgia

Last edited by Dan28 (February 16 2020)

#35 February 16 2020

rolf

xazbrat wrote:

It is sort of exasperating to say the least and my suspicions from a while ago have been confirmed--no one at the banks knows what the hell they are doing.

When you think of it, it is a weird contradictory situation.

One one hand, banks were buying Lebanese Eurobonds with huge returns, investing into the runaway Lebanese debt (to stay nice and not use words such as Ponzi).

On the other hand, when this cozy practice showed signs of crumbling down, instead of trying to reassure people, the President of Lebanon and others got on TV and essentially declared that shit has presently hit the fan, prompting anyone who still had a few doubts to run to the bank and withdraw their money, thereby accelerating the crash.

Last edited by rolf (February 16 2020)

#36 February 17 2020

NuclearVision

thanks guys! I already spent like 80 dollars this month, so i have no choice. I might look for a ucash card. Anybody knows where these are sold? The website locator is trash.

@rolf I don't think this has to do with ponzi which involves a scam if i understand correctly. The banks simply gave our money to the government and got a comission on it. They won. We were scammed and not the banks(investors).Game over.

#37 February 19 2020

NuclearVision

mk555 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

yeah, I did it like two weeks ago. I placed a $100 bill and I'm using it online. They have a limit though ($100/month).

does it reset at the beginning of the month ?

#38 February 19 2020

mk555

NuclearVision wrote:
mk555 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Not sure, you can call and they'll tell you your card's limit and answer your questions. That's what I usually do.

#39 March 2 2020

NuclearVision

mk555 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:
mk555 wrote:

Not sure, you can call and they'll tell you your card's limit and answer your questions. That's what I usually do.

I called and they have no idea what i'm talking about.
Someone said the limit is 0, i called again the other said these cards no longer work... Yet i made a small purchase and it worked...

Anybody with the blom mini can confirm if limit reset this month?
I have a due payment and I don't want to find out that these card dont work right after I rechArge my card.

#40 March 2 2020

xazbrat

NuclearVision wrote:
mk555 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Someone said the limit is 0, i called again the other said these cards no longer work... Yet i made a small purchase and it worked...

I have a due payment and I don't want to find out that these card dont work right after I rechArge my card.

Just used mine and it works (just a $10 recharge on a game).

#41 March 2 2020

NuclearVision

xazbrat wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:
mk555 wrote:

Just used mine and it works (just a $10 recharge on a game).

I believe the limit is now 15$ per month.

#42 March 2 2020

Dan28

NuclearVision wrote:

sweet.. we can still pay for netflix.

#43 March 2 2020

NuclearVision

Dan28 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

sweet.. we can still pay for netflix.

I imagine when they were discussing whether to completely cancel this card this on the table in the bank. Then someone said: Let them have netflix.

On a serious note, Dan you're an expert apparently, i want to ask.
Whats the way with least hassle i can still pay online?
Blom bank has this 'new' mini card 'plus', which works with 'fresh cash', but i don't wanna be involved with banks anymore.

#44 March 2 2020

Dan28

NuclearVision wrote:

well i have a bitcoin wallet, bitcoin on bitstamp with fresh usd transfer to my bank, yandex wallet with prepaid card, bitpay prepaid card and master card rewards from bitpay, they all involve btc, i cant see any other way to pay online if you have lbp or limited usd card.

#45 March 2 2020

NuclearVision

Dan28 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

well i have a bitcoin wallet, bitcoin on bitstamp with fresh usd transfer to my bank, yandex wallet with prepaid card, bitpay prepaid card and master card rewards from bitpay, they all involve btc, i cant see any other way to pay online if you have lbp or limited usd card.

I have usd cash, but not sure whats the best way to make it 'online' cash without the banks.

#46 March 2 2020

nosense

NuclearVision wrote:
Dan28 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

I have usd cash, but not sure whats the best way to make it 'online' cash without the banks.

if you have cash you can open the "fresh money account" and get a debit card without limits

#47 March 2 2020

NuclearVision

nosense wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:
Dan28 wrote:

if you have cash you can open the "fresh money account" and get a debit card without limits

Yea but for how long does it stay fresh? John audi wrote above, everytime the capital control is modified, fresh is no longer fresh, in fact, they can do anything, they are the rules. I put 20$ in my card last week to pay for a service, I couldnt use it.

#48 March 2 2020

RandomMemory

how did you get a prepaid card from yandex... those do not work for me without an RU address.

Last edited by RandomMemory (March 2 2020)

#49 March 2 2020

nosense

NuclearVision wrote:
nosense wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Yea but for how long does it stay fresh? John audi wrote above, everytime the capital control is modified, fresh is no longer fresh, in fact, they can do anything, they are the rules. I put 20$ in my card last week to pay for a service, I couldnt use it.

yea don't put any cash in the bank unless you want to use it in the very near future

#50 March 3 2020

LifeEngineer

NuclearVision wrote:

I bought last month what is estimated for around 80$ from AliExpress, steam and other outlets online. EMBARK Audi card here.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (March 3 2020)

Board footer