LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 3 2020

sero

Should i get a motorcycle?

Our family needs to sell one of our cars due to financial reasons.
So i am thinking of getting a motorcycle (something in 400cc city bike) for short distance travel (like home to work which is 8km) and will use my dad's car for long distance road trips.
My main concern is Safety. I quite often ride a biciclette as a hobby and never had any dangerous events. I never take risks and always watch the road and other cars while riding.
So my question is, are motorcycle really that dangerous especially in Lebanon/Beirut?

Should i drop this idea and just use Uber/Taxi instead as they're much safer?

I started looking around and saw a bajaj dominar 400. what's your recommendation?

#2 February 3 2020

duke-of-bytes

Re: Should i get a motorcycle?

there is nothing called "safe motorcycle" but if the benefit outweighs the risk , a smaller bike is better ( maybe a 250 ninja ?! )
what is your budget ?

#3 February 3 2020

sero

Budget is around 8 million lbp

#4 February 3 2020

duke-of-bytes

i found this when i looked in 2 min .. better than the Bajaj

https://www.olx.com.lb/ad/aprilia-motor … 7iJgG.html

#5 February 3 2020

Johnaudi

Why not purchase a used smaller car?

I've used Loop bikes several times, pretty neat for traveling around Badaro/Mar Mikhael when there's traffic.

Last edited by Johnaudi (February 3 2020)

#6 February 3 2020

Guitaret

I love hybrid electric bicycles, something motorized for long distances and at the same time you burn calories and don't pay taxes.

#7 February 3 2020

sero

duke-of-bytes wrote:

i found this when i looked in 2 min .. better than the Bajaj

https://www.olx.com.lb/ad/aprilia-motor … 7iJgG.html

Is apprilla usually a better quality?
how about KTM?

Johnaudi wrote:

Why not purchase a used smaller car?

I've used Loop bikes several times, pretty neat for traveling around Badaro/Mar Mikhael when there's traffic.

I think on the long run, a small old car that needs maintenance + more gas will be more expensive than a 4K$ brand new motorcycle

Guitaret wrote:

I love hybrid electric bicycles, something motorized for long distances and at the same time you burn calories and don't pay taxes.

That would be awesome, but i never saw a hybrid bicycles that looks nice

#8 February 3 2020

rolf

It really depends on the road conditions. 8KM is not really a short trip by Beirut standards.
It will be for you to judge.
Personally I would love to have a motorcycle or moped for short trips to the supermarket, manakish, etc (all less than 1KM).
For work it is of course possible, but have you considered carpooling?

Last edited by rolf (February 3 2020)

#9 February 3 2020

duke-of-bytes

Aprilia ..ktm..honda..bmw.. Kawasaki..all good brands

#10 February 3 2020

Dan28

sero wrote:

what's your recommendation?

get a suzuki bike and mod it

i have a suzuki gn 250 turned to a cafe racer
suzuki

Last edited by Dan28 (February 3 2020)

#11 February 3 2020

Draguen

Dan28 wrote:
sero wrote:

what's your recommendation?

get a suzuki bike and mod it

i have a suzuki gn 250 turned to a cafe racer
https://i.ibb.co/nPdYJGv/1550514654299.jpg

That's actually pretty cool! Any tips for a future bike enthusiast on a budget? How much did the bike cost "naked", and how much have you spent on upgrades?

Also, regarding the original topic, back when I was working in Verdun, the cost of parking was 80$ a month (960$ a year). At that price you'll get your bike funded in 3 to 4 years.

#12 February 4 2020

chosen2k

Buddy keep in mind motorcycles are easily stolen. Check if you have safe parking spots at home and at work. Take care of the bike when visiting friends especially if it is a repeated visit (always at the same time and same day).
Always chain the bike even if it is a 10mn visit, this is just a minor inconvenience for the thieves and not as safe as you can imagine. Never underestimate the speed and effort of pieces of shit thieves.

#13 February 5 2020

Metalloy

I very recently bought a used duke 390 2015
I bought it for fun really and not as a daily commuter but I have some insight for you to consider:
1)if you are going to almost strictly use it inside beirut, 400cc is too big, your better off with a smaller engine; if you're going to frequent the highway or mountain roads than i wouldnt go with a smaller engine as it might feel lacking.
2) why not consider scooters, it is way easier to learn how to drive and just more convenient as a daily commuter inside crowded beirut as you'll not be dealing with gear shifting; think skywave or vespa...
3)stolen bikes is very prelevant so do consider plans on how to keep it safe
4) if you are set on a motorcycle, there is a learning curve for riding so please dont take it lightly and practice a lot before undertaking roads; if you can, find a good parking for practicing slow speed techniques
5) safety gear is expensive, do look around and factor their cost in your budget; dont buy non branded helmets as they are not safe at all, also get riding jacket, riding pants and riding boots, all these are really expensive, so if you are buying new from a dealer, try to make the riding gear part of the deal.

#14 February 9 2020

hishjwnz

sero wrote:

I started looking around and saw a bajaj dominar 400. what's your recommendation?

Coming from an owner of a 2017 model, it's quite good. Got it at a great price in 2018 (used for 7 months) and been using it since.
Previous owner was servicing it at the dealer (ANB) and i followed suite. No issues at all till now, aside from tires that i still need to changed  since i got it (a little slippery).
It's quite fun on the highway (but also dangerous), and not too big to make way between cars when inside Beirut.
However there is a learning curve with driving manual bikes, particularly if you never drove a manual car.
The size and weight of the Dom 400, as well as the make (not too popular) could make it less prone to stealing, compared to popular scooters (my sister's Sym Gr125 was stolen from under her building at night last month).
As someone else mentioned you should definitely have some kind of lock (disk locks with alarms generally scare off thieves).
You would definitely save a lot of commuting money by using a bike. For this one i barely need more than 10,000 LL of gasoline weekly (if used every day). Finally, the time saved compared to cars/service/bus is also a life changer.

Board footer