LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 13 2008

samer
Admin

How to improve the Technology sector?

Hello all,
How may we (or the government) improve the Technology sector in Lebanon?

#2 January 13 2008

battikh

Re: How to improve the Technology sector?

i guess by lowering taxes, investing, encouraging competition, having a better infrastructure, cheaper services, ... all that would also encourage and help international companies open and invest in lebanon.

#3 January 13 2008

karim

Better and cheaper communication is the key to developing a Technology sector.

#4 January 13 2008

WizaRd

1- Stability (not random wars popping up every couple months just because someone wants to fire a missile or two)
2- Privatization (in Lebanon's case, that could be a good start)
3- Internet users (abel ma kellna nfell men hon  )

We cannot improve one sector alone, we have to improve everything else with it.

#5 January 14 2008

mir

well...
i don't wanna stress the things the gov has to do... cuz u know y ..
but i think as individuals .. we can put pressure on the gov ... [ has almost zero chance of working.. they don't listen ]
other than this
we can build good communities.. provide each other with help .. help each other innovate new products ...
share the knowledge and pass it on... share the ressources we have and the connections with other ppl and companies
ye3neh we have to help each other in the human factor of technology
wich is i think the most important aspect
and build the things the gov wouldn't build for us.. or really sucks at building it

Last edited by mir (January 14 2008)

#6 January 14 2008

WizaRd

min byetbarra3 yrakkeb fiber optics lal byout   ?

#7 January 14 2008

mir

welll. maybe if no fiber optics.. some ppl for example created gaming servers inside lebanon
that would improve the latency
some for some file and music sharing..
some provide cheaper hardwares...

so guess there is always room for improvements

Last edited by mir (January 14 2008)

#8 January 15 2008

teodorgeorgiev

The goal of the government is to work for improving the country.   If the government can't do their job - let them get the fuck out of their chairs and go raise goats (and of course, since you raise them, you have the right to fuck them from time to time, rest assured). I do not care of their religion,sub-religion or whatever. Crooks do not have a religion.

And since the government can't help us, let them not stop us. Put your two left hands in your pockets, step aside and let the people who want and know
how it can be done, to do it.

And whoever thinks that Israel can be brought down to their knees with some 50 years old Katiusha rockets is dumb like a brick. The one way to destroy Israel is by create a secure, stable, well-developed country next to it. 

Privatization is not the correct way to go for. Look at MTC and Alfa (hello Hariri, it's too hot there, isn't it). Worse than the government monopol is
the PRIVATE MONOPOL.

So, key is privatization + liberation. And down with the government. If the current government is like this, better to not have any at all.

That is my 100% personal private opinion.

#9 January 21 2008

beezer

I think privatization, and reducing taxes as well as customs on IT stuff would be simply amazing. You want things to skyrocket.

Do that. You can then have low cost everything with great hardware.
Instead of highcost whatever with crap-tastic hardware.

#10 January 26 2008

Tigerheart.Hackers

Fact: One of the reasons we have bad IT in Lebanon goes to big corporates buying cheap knock-offs and smuggled stuff, and the government looking away because they're getting profit. I could tell you facts about some of the finest most expensive computer stores in Lebanon that WILL blow your minds off. They're making millions per day. Even those that import, import cheap knock-offs using the original company names. I dare those who claim to be selling original merchandise to show their receipts. You'd be lucky if you can find boxed intel... Ah, this gives me a headache and frustration. I'm out.

#11 January 29 2008

bartender

And beside the chitchat...? :)

Get creative, draft out a manifesto and host it somewhere

It is very handy to be able to point to references when you want to talk to someone, be it gov or anything else.

#12 January 31 2008

rolf

- Privatize internet backbone
- Privatize electricity
- Create a technological city in some green and beautiful area of lebanon to attract foreign qualified workforce
- Bring political stability to encourage companies to settle here
Of course that is very easy... and results are guaranteed... foreign workforce and investments will come flocking... but that all seems to complicated for the current political class.

bartender wrote:

And beside the chitchat...? :)

Get creative, draft out a manifesto and host it somewhere

It is very handy to be able to point to references when you want to talk to someone, be it gov or anything else.

Yeah let's do something I'm in.

Last edited by rolf (January 31 2008)

#13 January 31 2008

battikh

rolf wrote:

- Create a technological city in some green and beautiful area of lebanon to attract foreign qualified workforce

such a project was being done around 4 years ago but it was dropped coz it needed some considerable land area. the project was supposed to be outside beirut but the baladiyeh of the town in which it was supposed to be built in refused because they want to keep the land for agriculture and said that their people live from this land and blablabla.

#14 February 1 2008

bartender

as a side note, the beirut internet exchange started it operations a couple of months ago.

maybe the visp folks can tell us more about that?

#15 February 1 2008

rolf

"Welcome to the web site of the
Beirut Internet Exchange.

The Beirut IX is still in the process of formation.
The next event in this process is a public workshop,
to be held in Beirut, on Monday, the 28th of May, 2007."

#16 February 2 2008

beezer

I think if places would uphold their warranties, and actually have proper R&D, or quality checking on products. That would be a great addition as well.

I hate this "my word is gold" kind of warranty that doesn't cover anything.

Board footer