LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 2 weeks ago

AliJ7
Member

VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

I asked Ogero to uncap my vdsl2 speed of 50/10Mbps down and up..
Have a look at the results: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8497286476
But I have one question, my SNR margin was about 12db, now its about 6db, sometimes going 5.8.
Is that average? Would it cause me any issues in terms of ping stability later on? I noticed my ping is still stable 60-70ms.

Offline

#2 2 weeks ago

xazbrat
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

The higher your speed, the less stable your connection may become.  At 6 db, you are at the threshold of a good connection.  If you don't notice any disconnects or errors, then you are good to go.   If you do notice errors, then just ask them to recap your speed, or better yet, get a modem where you can tweak your snr margin and get the best combination of speed and stability.

A lot of Asus modems let you do this as well as some others.  Just double check before you buy if you go this route.


Edit:  couldn't see your result for some reason.

Last edited by xazbrat (2 weeks ago)

Offline

#3 2 weeks ago

AliJ7
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

It's okay for now as long as ping is good, no disconnections etc..
It's 78/46 mbps down and up after uncapping which is amazing.
Idk how to post an image here..

Offline

#4 2 weeks ago

Kareem
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

5.8 dB is rarely stable unless you're 200m from the CO and that will still give you random disconnects every few hours.

It all depends on the modem anyway but anything lower than 6-7 dB and you're asking for troubles. Normally it should be be 10dB and that's the default on many modems and profiles ( 12dB if your attenuation is high ) so your modem going down to 5.8 dB without disconnecting is surprisingly strange.

As far as I know, the DSLAM will monitor for error rates / disconnections in a given period and increase the SNR margin by 3dB in case of instability.... This is how it goes.

Last edited by Kareem (2 weeks ago)

Offline

#5 2 weeks ago

AVOlio
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

What did you mean when you said you asked Ogero to uncap your vdsl speed?

Do they really cap the speed? I was not aware of this.

But it makes sense now, since before, I used to get around 30mbps but now I only get max 24mbps.

How did you ask Ogero to uncap your speed exactly?
And how did you know that it was capped in the first place?

Offline

#6 2 weeks ago

AliJ7
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

Kareem wrote:

5.8 dB is rarely stable unless you're 200m from the CO and that will still give you random disconnects every few hours.

It all depends on the modem anyway but anything lower than 6-7 dB and you're asking for troubles. Normally it should be be 10dB and that's the default on many modems and profiles ( 12dB if your attenuation is high ) so your modem going down to 5.8 dB without disconnecting is surprisingly strange.

As far as I know, the DSLAM will monitor for error rates / disconnections in a given period and increase the SNR margin by 3dB in case of instability.... This is how it goes.

Well, I would say I'm less than 100m far from the CO, but no disconnections till now, the SNR margin is hovering between 5.8-6.4 db which I think is average, I'm not sure.
I have a VR-400. Before the uncap it was set to 12db.
Yeah I see some errors(pckts) in download and upload, which increase for about 5000 for download (idk that's really important). What do you think about that?
I will post my Line Stats later when I get back home.

Offline

#7 2 weeks ago

AliJ7
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

AVOlio wrote:

What did you mean when you said you asked Ogero to uncap your vdsl speed?

Do they really cap the speed? I was not aware of this.

But it makes sense now, since before, I used to get around 30mbps but now I only get max 24mbps.

How did you ask Ogero to uncap your speed exactly?
And how did you know that it was capped in the first place?

Yeah they cap VDSL speeds for stability reasons and "billing reasons". Their default profiles are 50/10 down and up. But I don't think they capped it in your case since it doesn't reach above 50. Post your line stats to know better. If your max rate is above 50mbps down, then they probably capped you.
I knew I was capped through Imad Kreidieh saying that they do cap speeds during the live interview. Even someone on the forums here mentioned thay they cap speeds at 50mbps  so I sent OGERO a message on Twitter with a screenshot of my Line Stats proving I could reach upto 85/44 mbps down and up, and showing that my snr and line attenuation are stable enough to allow for uncapping.
I also sent an email to [email protected] to speed things up. So they opened a ticket and did it in about a week.

Last edited by AliJ7 (2 weeks ago)

Offline

#8 2 weeks ago

AliJ7
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

DSL Modulation Type: 
VDSL2
Annex Type: 
Annex A
Upstream    Downstream
Current Rate (kbps)    49042    86061
Max Rate (kbps)    47530    88786
SNR Margin (dB)    6.6    6.7
Line Attenuation (dB)    21.9    12.7
Errors (pkts)    1524    13507

Offline

#9 2 weeks ago

bobo619
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

What is funny is that fiber apparently is capped to 50 Mbps if your unlucky to be connected by ogero and not GDS which makes VDSL faster.. What a joke!

Offline

#10 2 weeks ago

AliJ7
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

bobo619 wrote:

What is funnt is that fiber apparently is capped to 50 Mbps if your unlucky to be connected by ogero and not GDS which makes VDSL faster.. What a joke!

I don't think they cap fiber speeds. Supposed to be starting from 50mbps upto 300mbps according to Ogero. Why would they cap it if they're saying it's a minimum of 50mbps?

Offline

#11 2 weeks ago

Kareem
Member

Re: VDSL2 Speed Test Uncapped and Line Stats

AliJ7 wrote:

DSL Modulation Type: 
VDSL2
Annex Type: 
Annex A
Upstream    Downstream
Current Rate (kbps)    49042    86061
Max Rate (kbps)    47530    88786
SNR Margin (dB)    6.6    6.7
Line Attenuation (dB)    21.9    12.7
Errors (pkts)    1524    13507


You're anyway touching the maximum bandwidth you can over VDSL2 according to Ogero :

VyYUXkj.jpg

Offline

Board footer