LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 19 2018

VincentKeyboard

GPU thermal paste.

Hello. Can anyone recommend a computer store that is comfortable enough with replacing the thermal paste on a 1050 Ti NVIDIA GPU?

The operating temperature went up from 28C last summer to 45C this week. The GPU fans are running well. I dust them regularly. I fear it may be the thermal paste drying up.

#2 June 8 2018

vlatkozelka

Re: GPU thermal paste.

Are these temps full load? 28C this time of the year means 5C above ambient temps... I think you're just paranoid
45C at full load is nothing. Actually, 45C at full load would be a target for many people.

Why don't you do it yourself? It's nothing different than changing a CPU thermal paste, except that the dye is smaller, and you less thermal paste.
Just watch a video about your specific card's tear-down, and do what they do.

#3 March 1 2019

VincentKeyboard

Does anyone know of a reliable computer repair person I can contact about replacing thermal paste on a GPU?

Thank you!

#4 March 2 2019

Jerome

Try DomTech. If you can provide your own paste its better, most probably any shop will use generic stuff.

Warning! Don't get anything with silver, or any electrically conductive paste.

Like vlatkozelka said, 45°C full load is great! Its rated for 85°C. You can also do it yourself.

#5 March 2 2019

VincentKeyboard

Right now, 33c at 22% load, 30 at 15% load. I tried unigine heaven benchmark. it was up to 60 at full load.

I'll look up DomTech. thank you.

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (March 2 2019)

#6 March 2 2019

Doom

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Right now, 33c at 22% load, 30 at 15% load. I tried unigine heaven benchmark. it was up to 60 at full load.

I'll look up DomTech. thank you.

Mate, 60c is perfectly fine at full load , my 1050ti always runs at that temp on full load. Chances are, if you're going to change the paste you won't notice any difference.
Persinally, I wouldn't worry if it's below 70-75c.

#7 March 2 2019

bobo619

If you have a brand new nvidia gpu don't think to replace thermal paste for at least 5 years as their application is good enough and you won't notice any change unless you are using liquid thermal which i don't advise anyone to do because it may cause damage if badly applied due to its conductivity and make sure it is not applied on aluminium heatsinks. I really doubt ur gpu was running at 28C on load even at idle this temp is low. When you want to compare your temp stats make sure you compare it to similar workloads and not in idle.

Last edited by bobo619 (March 2 2019)

#8 March 2 2019

Tech Guru

No need to change any thing if it is 60 degrees at 100% load stress test or gaming. Indeed, that is a perfect operating temperatures , 75 - 80 degress even with heavy core OC is under normal max margin even , the graphic card will not die. The only issues with such high temperatures is thermal throttling , the graphic card will not sustain its max in game boost clocks and it will throttle by automatically lowering the core clock frequency to protect it self.

Also , all  current graphic cards have power limits and power balancers for the gpu to protect them from over voltage or to limit brute manual OCs.

Finally , you can do a custom fan curve using MSI After Burner in such a way to increase fans speed to 80% on highest boost clocks.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 2 2019)

Board footer