LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 30 2017

Mom

Private Internet Company

Hello,

So yesterday a company told me to distribute internet in my village and the other villages near me, so i asked for a trial account and i told them that i'll be using the internet for a whole month before giving this internet to other people!

So they gave me a 2mbps account! and i am trying it now :)

e7LVXS6.jpg
BvLGbTQ.jpg
kKELjT3.jpg
1gSI60c.jpg
1Czjn13.jpg
1waGcj9.jpg

So what do you guys think shall i invest in it ?

Edit: Forgot to mention that speed varies from times to time and ping as well as you can see when i pinged on Valve's servers

Last edited by Mom (September 30 2017)

#2 September 30 2017

nuclearcat

Re: Private Internet Company

I suggest to evaluate it very well at peak time 18:00-24:00 for their performance, and better to check as well if you can reach full speed all the time, it is much better if you watch it for a week or so.
One of fellow lebgeekers (can't remember who) was suffering there, but as he said it was a link of reseller and ISP in general is OK.

Also personally as i know their network built on low-grade equipment, Mikrotiks, but this information might be outdated. This particular opinion is very subjective, as i'm selling for ISPs telecom-grade equipment/services & openly despise using for ISP unreliable stuff. This ISP never show interest in reliable stuff, AFAIK, and happy with Mikrotiks.

#3 September 30 2017

Mom

nuclearcat wrote:

I suggest to evaluate it very well at peak time 18:00-24:00 for their performance, and better to check as well if you can reach full speed all the time, it is much better if you watch it for a week or so.
One of fellow lebgeekers (can't remember who) was suffering there, but as he said it was a link of reseller and ISP in general is OK.

Also personally as i know their network built on low-grade equipment, Mikrotiks, but this information might be outdated. This particular opinion is very subjective, as i'm selling for ISPs telecom-grade equipment/services & openly despise using for ISP unreliable stuff. This ISP never show interest in reliable stuff, AFAIK, and happy with Mikrotiks.

They use mikrotiks for the thing that they put over your house! So it's not good?

And for the peak time i will try to use it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: The reseller was honest with me and told me that they cap it to 2 GB a day for the 2 mbps and 3 GB a day for the 4mpbs account! forgot to mention that and he told me to be honest about it with my costumers!

Last edited by Mom (September 30 2017)

#4 September 30 2017

Georges00

In the long run, can they guarantee they won't degrade?

#5 September 30 2017

Mom

Georges00 wrote:

In the long run, can they guarantee they won't degrade?

Actually he did not mention any of that! but the good part is that i don't have to worry about all the network i just have to get them costumers and i get paid for every costumer that i can get!

I'll just test the connection this week and i will give you more information about it as soon as possible! Tomorrow i will be sharing speed tests when it's around 18:00 and 20:00

#6 September 30 2017

nuclearcat

Mom wrote:

They use mikrotiks for the thing that they put over your house! So it's not good?

Their core network built on them.
For house it is somehow ok, but in core network - big no.

Last edited by nuclearcat (September 30 2017)

#7 October 1 2017

Mom

nuclearcat wrote:
Mom wrote:

Their core network built on them.
For house it is somehow ok, but in core network - big no.

i'll try to ask about the core network

#8 October 1 2017

Mom

Update: Note that all tests were made around 18:30 and 19:00

B4E47Qa.png
ocTfBZl.png
aoG7ogT.png
yD6q6i7.png
S5dbCOK.png
ps9VvOk.png

#9 October 1 2017

RandomMemory

do they have bigger accounts? Also the ping spikes are a bit frequent.

Last edited by RandomMemory (October 1 2017)

#10 October 1 2017

Mom

RandomMemory wrote:

do they have bigger accounts? Also the ping spikes are a bit frequent.

Well in my place that's the accounts that they allowed me to use he told me about bigger accounts tho!

And i think that my wifi chip is not good that's why i am getting ping spikes i am doing my own room soon so i will be able to get my internet cable near me and see if everything will be better!

#11 October 2 2017

nuclearcat

Wifi is trivial to check - just ping ip of your wifi accesspoint (it is shown as gateway in your network adapter settings)

#12 October 2 2017

Mom

nuclearcat wrote:

Wifi is trivial to check - just ping ip of your wifi accesspoint (it is shown as gateway in your network adapter settings)

I am sometimes getting 14ms and 32ms but most of the time 1ms and 4ms

#13 October 2 2017

nuclearcat

Thats normal wifi.
This means induced fluctuations in international ping should be not much more than ping to wifi router, if ISP is ok. If you want precise measurement - connect by cable and test ping.

Last edited by nuclearcat (October 2 2017)

#14 October 2 2017

Mom

Alright i will do it after two days then i’ll have my new room and everything close together and i’ll tell you what happens next!

And what about the mtp he told me to change it to 1480 instead of the default 1492 i don’t know if it makes any difference!

#15 October 2 2017

nuclearcat

I can give exact math how it does affect bandwidth (actually he did for worse now, but it is within <1% bandwidth change), and seems he is solving problems by using voodoo magic, as mtu not related to bandwidth problems and totally not related to ping.
It matters if some of your websites are not opening, then adjusting to _exactly_ right value is required, but not "yalla let me try different value".
This is bad sign, if ISP is illiterate in networking.

#16 October 3 2017

Mom

nuclearcat wrote:

I can give exact math how it does affect bandwidth (actually he did for worse now, but it is within <1% bandwidth change), and seems he is solving problems by using voodoo magic, as mtu not related to bandwidth problems and totally not related to ping.
It matters if some of your websites are not opening, then adjusting to _exactly_ right value is required, but not "yalla let me try different value".
This is bad sign, if ISP is illiterate in networking.

Thanks for that i will try to ping when i finish my room! Tomorrow it should be done but you know, nobody knows what happen i will do my best to finish it tomorrow!

Board footer