LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 16 2017

wollyka

Cryptocurrency miner

Yesterday i noticed if i visited the Lebgeeks forum, Chrome CPU usage will jump to 100% and stay there. So i went to see the source codes and i noticed that there is a script running

https://coin-hive.com/lib/coinhive.min.js

everytime the forum is loaded. This script is for mining Monero coins. Could Lebgeeks be affected by a monero javascript miner or did they implement it to gain money?
update: i noticed that if you login, the script will not run, only when you visit the forums as guest it starts running. (or if you leave the website open and logout after a while). Can somebody check it too?
https://imgur.com/a/lz31m

Last edited by wollyka (September 16 2017)

#2 September 17 2017

nosense

Re: Cryptocurrency miner

yea same for me, if not logged in I get 100% cpu usage

#3 September 17 2017

wollyka

Doing some basic research, it seems that certain websites are using this script instead of ads in order to raise money by running this script on the users' computers. I found it weird that Lebgeeks is using it without announcement. Maybe someone is using it without their knowledge?

#4 September 17 2017

Kazouza

Piratebay were doing the same.

I also doubt that someone is doing it without their knowledge...

You can block it via  ublock origin or umatrix.

#5 September 17 2017

eWizzard

I never noticed because NoScript has been blocking it the whole time.

wollyka wrote:

I found it weird that Lebgeeks is using it without announcement. Maybe someone is using it without their knowledge?

Considering that samer has a keen interest for bitcoins, it's more likely the former. But, since this seems like a relatively new implementation (maybe a few days old?) then you have to consider that he may be testing it first, which is probably why he didn't feel the immediate need to disclose it.

#6 September 17 2017

samer
Admin

No, that was me. The plan was to write a post-mortem this afternoon, but I guess you beat me to it :-)

I was curious to see what sort of hash rate would come out of this, so I decided to run an experiment for 24 hours.
The script was only included for visitors who are not logged in, so none of you should have been affected.

The intent was to see whether this would be a good revenue stream that would sustain the forum financially, as we have been entirely self-funded for the past 13 years.

In 24 hours, 9.27 million hashes were generated. The reward was 0.00143 XMR (0.129 USD). The average hashrate was around ~107 hashes/s. I would expect double if I were to include it for logged-in members as well.

The conclusion is that this is hardly worth the hassle, as the returns are miniscule. I've removed the script and called this a failed experiment.

#7 September 17 2017

GreenM

I tested the script on a website with good traffic for 2 hours now (on and off since I don't want to let anyone notice). I was able to generate 14 million hashes.

Last edited by GreenM (September 17 2017)

#8 September 17 2017

wollyka

The script was too aggressive using all my cores at 100% and increasing the CPU temp causing poor performance while i was gaming. The idea is good but make it less aggressive (if it is possible).

#9 September 17 2017

samer
Admin

wollyka wrote:

The script was too aggressive using all my cores at 100% and increasing the CPU temp causing poor performance while i was gaming. The idea is good but make it less aggressive (if it is possible).

You can configure the number of threads (which will map to the number of cores used). My experiment showed that even at 100% CPU usage, the amount of hashes generated was not worth it, at least at the current valuation of monero and the amount of signed-out traffic we have.

I tested the script on a website with good traffic for 2 hours now (on and off since I don't want to let anyone notice). I was able to generate 14 million hashes.

Impressive numbers. What kind of traffic does the website have?

#10 September 17 2017

Prince

am going to test it on my revenue site that i own
lets see the results in comming the few days

#11 September 18 2017

GreenM

samer wrote:
wollyka wrote:

You can configure the number of threads (which will map to the number of cores used). My experiment showed that even at 100% CPU usage, the amount of hashes generated was not worth it, at least at the current valuation of monero and the amount of signed-out traffic we have.

Impressive numbers. What kind of traffic does the website have?

It's a website with thousands of visitors per day.

#12 September 18 2017

samer
Admin

For those getting annoyed by these things eating your CPU cycles, you can block them using this chrome extension https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

#13 October 1 2017

Prince

its a total failure
approximately 2 weeks running and this my total  outcome 13.68 M , Earning  0.00212 XMR
its not even worth don't use it .

#14 October 1 2017

Johnaudi

I’ve got miners running at night at my local networks, making about 3 to 4 ethereum per month. You guys should give that a shot at your local network as well. (Of course, give them a percentage)

#15 October 2 2017

MrClass

Johnaudi wrote:

I’ve got miners running at night at my local networks, making about 3 to 4 ethereum per month. You guys should give that a shot at your local network as well. (Of course, give them a percentage)

How many graphic cards are you using and what makes are they?

My friend gave me his 980TI cards and I own a 1080Ti. Worth trying with 3 cards?

#16 October 2 2017

Johnaudi

MrClass wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

How many graphic cards are you using and what makes are they?

My friend gave me his 980TI cards and I own a 1080Ti. Worth trying with 3 cards?

Scratch 2.0 dekwene. He has 50 PCs with 1070’s each. (26.5MH/s each)
I say try it for about 12 hours and do the math. Make sure you mine ethereum and not bitcoin.

Board footer