LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 25 2017

random-username

Recommendations for Router with Broadcom chipset

I've had my 30$ TP-Link WR841n for 5 years now, I managed to flash dd-wrt on it and squeeze a lot of features from it throughout the years. I managed to brick the router while flashing an old build, now it's just an ugly paper-weight.

I'm on the look for a router (budget in the 150-250$ range) that will last me another 5 years, and my requirements are as follows:

- Dual Band
- Min 1Ghz dual core CPU
- Broadcom CPU
- 12V DC input (Some asus models need 19V)
- DD-WRT supported
- USB 3.0
- Decent RAM and Flash

The best router I could find that would fit the bill was the Netgear R7000, which I'll need to order online.

Looking forward to hearing what you fellow geeks are using and what you'd recommend!

Update: The Linksys WRT 1200AC is being sold for 99USD on the Linksys website. With shipping and possible customs, it'll still be cheaper and more powerful than the R7000. Although it's not broadcom, all dd-wrt features are supported besides vlan, which I have no use for.

Last edited by random-username (August 25 2017)

#2 August 26 2017

kamalkh

Re: Recommendations for Router with Broadcom chipset

i have been using this router for a while now, it has many of the specs you asked for and for a much cheaper price.

i am not sure about DDWRT though, but it has a really good app and you can control anything connected to it from anywhere in the world :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina … 0.0.KKMuN5

#3 August 26 2017

random-username

Ended up going with the Linksys WRT-3200ACM. Got delivered this morning, flashed DD-WRT and set it up.

I was very hesitant on dropping 250$ (inc VAT) on a router, but decided to bite the bullet and get a proper router for once. This thing is a beast, still exploring the new dd-wrt features that my old tp-link didn't support.

So far I've managed to hookup a printer and a 1TB storage device to it, as well as setup remote access with DDNS.

It's still to early to judge, but I'll post a mini-review on it in a couple of weeks and hopefully it won't disappoint.

#4 August 26 2017

TheLebGeek

random-username wrote:

Ended up going with the Linksys WRT-3200ACM. Got delivered this morning, flashed DD-WRT and set it up.

I was very hesitant on dropping 250$ (inc VAT) on a router, but decided to bite the bullet and get a proper router for once. This thing is a beast, still exploring the new dd-wrt features that my old tp-link didn't support.

So far I've managed to hookup a printer and a 1TB storage device to it, as well as setup remote access with DDNS.

It's still to early to judge, but I'll post a mini-review on it in a couple of weeks and hopefully it won't disappoint.

From where did you order it?

#5 August 26 2017

random-username

TheLebGeek wrote:
random-username wrote:

pcandparts

Last edited by random-username (August 26 2017)

#6 August 26 2017

TheLebGeek

random-username wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:
random-username wrote:

pcandparts

Which one is it? I can't find it on their website? Isn't it under the modems category?

#7 August 26 2017

random-username

TheLebGeek wrote:
random-username wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:

pcandparts

Which one is it? I can't find it on their website? Isn't it under the modems category?

https://gyazo.com/5ccf16ad8c1549838b0b36fda3eb9aa3

Under Wireless  Network Cards & Access Point

#8 August 26 2017

TheLebGeek

random-username wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:
random-username wrote:

pcandparts

https://gyazo.com/5ccf16ad8c1549838b0b36fda3eb9aa3

Under Wireless  Network Cards & Access Point

Ah ok does this mean this is only a router and doesn't include a modem? What do you use as a modem? The one ogero gives?

#9 August 27 2017

random-username

I use a TP-Link w8961nd in bridge mode.

On another note, figured out why my networking wasn't syncing at 1Gbps. Turned out to be a faulty Cat5e cable, swapped it and now everything is running at gigabit speeds.

#10 August 27 2017

TheLebGeek

random-username wrote:

I use a TP-Link w8961nd in bridge mode.

On another note, figured out why my networking wasn't syncing at 1Gbps. Turned out to be a faulty Cat5e cable, swapped it and now everything is running at gigabit speeds.

Ah ok but what's the idea I'm having two devices? Isn't having one device that acts like a modem and router better?

#11 August 27 2017

random-username

DSL modems in general are equipped with outdated hardware, hence very few are supported by open source firmware like DD-WRT.

Since my main goal was to flash DD-WRT and host a print server, FTP server, Remote access via DDNS...etc, a powerful router was the only way to go. In bridge mode, the DSL modem only provides internet access to the router, the firewall, DHCP...etc. are handled by DD-WRT which I can fully customize to my liking.

Hope that answered your question, would have been nice to have an all inclusive modem/router, but it is what it is.

#12 August 27 2017

tmash2

-

Last edited by tmash2 (February 21 2021)

Board footer